New to GM, getting a new Truck. Need some reassurance.

4 hours ago, garagerog said:

2nd: Women never like to tell "told you so"  Wow!  Your experience with women has been a lot better than mine if that's the case! 

That was a quote made with a fresh batch of sarcasm simmered in "being really factitious".....

That world does not exist, just ask what is wrong, she will tell you right away...……………..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cbacarisse said:

I feel that all brands have their pluses and minuses. They will all have problems, but the service you receive determines if you get soured on the brand or not. 

Bias aside, I like the GM dealer here better than the RAM dealership. 

Im leaving RAM primarily as a business decision. The large multi-brand dealership is making it worth my while to switch. 

The relationship with your dealer is paramount now days.

Having owned quite a few different brands in my life, my best experiences have been with my current Chevy dealer, and no one has taken better care of me as far as fixing or replacing their products than GM.

I think you are making a great decision, enjoy your new truck, welcome to the Generals family!!!

Came over from Ford. My 2018 Lariat was the last F-150 I'll own, and I owned quite a few.. 5.0L burned oil and the 10spd was horrible. Traded after 8 months.

Forget the 5.3 and get the 6.2. With the 5.3 you get the 8spd which some people bitch about.The 10spd trans with the 6.2 shifts like butter and the AT4 rides great even with the Duratracs.

My only concern was the DFM which so far has been totally undetectable. Fuel mileage is about 1 mpg less than my 5.0 got, but I have the catback and CAI. 

Best thing to do is test drive what ever brand you want to go to.  Don't just go out and back.  Most dealers will let you take it for a night, at least around here they will.  Get some good seat time and have your wife go with you. 

I had a 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn traded to a 19 Limited and got out of the POS as soon as I could make a deal too.  I landed on GM out of necessity. They had the most incentives and discounts to help me get out of my 67k F up.  I drove my 13 for 100k trouble free miles.  LOVED that truck.  Got my 19 and drove it out of town first weekend and it make a clanking noise the whole way there.  One thing after another.

I got an LT crew cab 2WD to get familiar with the GM world.  Something lesss expensive just incase I had to flip out of it also.  Only thing I am thinking of trading my Truck for is a high country or 4wd GM.  I was a RAM loyalist because they EARNED it.  They lost it with the 19 in short order.  One from the lack of communication their dealers have with existing issues and problems and two their inability to solve problems that are common quickly.  They were selling trucks at the first of the run with grommets not installed and they were allowing water in and causing wet carpet and mold issues.  They were still selling trucks with the SAME grommets not installed in trucks with a OCT build date.  How does that happen.  I can understand a month of trucks or MAYBE two but a years worth of runs?  

Ram is out for me.  I would say buy a GMC or chevy whichever you like most and enjoy it.  The engines are much better with fuel economy than any of the RAM and they are less problematic.  I was on the RAM forum yesterday since I was a member with my 19 and 13 and there is a guy that just bought a limited with mold all inside of it.  You couldn't give me a ram these days. Terrible electronics and terrible app terrible support because they use Sirius Guardian and anyone that has tried too deal with virus knows you'd rather jump into a vat of boiling oil.  

• Like 1

Reassurance? If you keep it in good shape, you can trade your GMC in 5 years down the road and collect 60% of your investment back, you are lucky if you could get 35-40% back out of a comparable Ram product. Ram discounts their new products too heavily for them to maintain any sort of used value. There are still 2016 Ram's on the lots in Canada that are $20,000 off the sticker price. Who would buy a used Ram when you can buy a new one for Minivan prices? 

• Like 2

When buying pickups every two years I compared and bought mostly on price. I only had one Ram, usually GMs were cheaper. I had quite a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, cbacarisse said:

Im leaving RAM primarily as a business decision. The large multi-brand dealership is making it worth my while to switch. 

I'm not sure what that means. Is your daily driver a business write-off? If it is, then I guess I understand you wanting a change. Are you actually saving money by buying a new truck? what is "worth your while"?

But I don't get the need to switch vehicles just because some dealer tells you you should. I only get a new (to me) vehicle when I need it. I chose my truck because it met all my needs at what I considered a fair price, and I liked the bowtie more than the red letters on the front. Nothing out of the dealer's mouth affected my decision. I knew what I wanted when I walked in there.

While F-series boast they are the #1 seller, that isn't necessarily true when you account that Ford is the king of fleet truck sales.  Cheap, plain, white, vanilla priced to sell in large volume to fleet customers . When it comes to purchases for individual use GM half-tons are the truck of choice.  You also will have a truck that will retain its value because the used market isn't flooded with them.  They are the trucks people generally buy to drive long term.  Look around and see the #'s of 20 year old GM, Ford, and Dodge/Ram trucks you still see on the road.  Anecdotally, in my area the ratio is 5 to 1 GM vs other brands.  You certainly can get a lemon, but they are very good vehicles and as a general rule, you won't go wrong with a Silverado or Sierra.  

Edited by Foghorn17
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Foghorn17 said:

While F-series boast they are the #1 seller, that isn't necessarily true when you account that Ford is the king of fleet truck sales.  Cheap, plain, white, vanilla priced to sell in large volume to fleet customers . When it comes to purchases for individual use GM half-tons are the truck of choice.  You also will have a truck that will retain its value because the used market isn't flooded with them.  They are the trucks people generally buy to drive long term.  Look around and see the #'s of 20 year old GM, Ford, and Dodge/Ram trucks you still see on the road.  Anecdotally, in my area the ratio is 5 to 1 GM vs other brands.  You certainly can get a lemon, but they are very good vehicles and as a general rule, you won't go wrong with a Silverado or Sierra.  

Truck sales numbers are  based on 1500-3500 category. Even if GM added GMC sales it still wouldn't touch F series sales. Facts. The last time GM beat Ford sales was in 2015 otherwise you have to go back in mid 2000s

As far as Fleet and selling the most ? Who cares , a sale is a sale . 

If anything those repeat construction trucks, landscape trucks etc that fords keeps selling is a testament to their durability.  No business owner will continue to buy fleet trucks if one brand given them issues. Simple as that.  You don't think GM wants those contracts ? ( its easy money as they trade in their trucks every 2-3 years)  So to knock Ford sales because of Fleet is kind of stupid  (not an insult to you) 

I have said this many times, no truck is perfect .  Get what looks best to you and has the best savings.  F all this brand loyalty stuff. These are multi billion dollar corps. 

2 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Reassurance? If you keep it in good shape, you can trade your GMC in 5 years down the road and collect 60% of your investment back, you are lucky if you could get 35-40% back out of a comparable Ram product. Ram discounts their new products too heavily for them to maintain any sort of used value. There are still 2016 Ram's on the lots in Canada that are $20,000 off the sticker price. Who would buy a used Ram when you can buy a new one for Minivan prices? 

Agree with the above. Ford and Chevrolet both have great resale value. My 2012 F-150 was MSRP'd at $39k, bought for $29k, and traded in for $24k four years later. Getting 84% of my investment back after four years is damn good. My $45k Benz got me only $13k four years later, never again!

I considered RAM but saw the resale values in AutoTrader, pass.

40 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

Truck sales numbers are  based on 1500-3500 category. Even if GM added GMC sales it still wouldn't touch F series sales. Facts. The last time GM beat Ford sales was in 2015 otherwise you have to go back in mid 2000s

As far as Fleet and selling the most ? Who cares , a sale is a sale . 

If anything those repeat construction trucks, landscape trucks etc that fords keeps selling is a testament to their durability.  No business owner will continue to buy fleet trucks if one brand given them issues. Simple as that.  You don't think GM wants those contracts ? ( its easy money as they trade in their trucks every 2-3 years)  So to knock Ford sales because of Fleet is kind of stupid  (not an insult to you) 

I have said this many times, no truck is perfect .  Get what looks best to you and has the best savings.  F all this brand loyalty stuff. These are multi billion dollar corps. 

GM sells more trucks than Ford does when you add the 1/4 tons https://www.tfltruck.com/2016/11/who-sells-the-most-pickup-trucks-in-america-get-ready-to-rumble-sales-data/ and even more when you add the Chassis trucks. But F150 has never been dethroned by a GM 1500, and even if GM's combined Silverado and Sierra numbers managed to beat F150, Ford would still legally be able to say "Best selling truck for X years running" because GM has 2 truck lines. So while it would be a lie, they could still make that claim from a marketing perspective. 

Just to get back on track with this thread.

I have a 19 RST crew cab with the 5.3 and 8 speed. Power is not a issue with this motor and gear option. The 8 speed works well with getting power when you need it. I have only towed around 1,200 lbs with it so far.

One thing I do not like is the ride. It is like a pogo stick going down rough uneven roads. If you hit any wash boards the back end skips across the road and the tires reward you with chirping as it skips. I have the tire pressure adjusted to 35lbs each. Down from the 45lbs plus that the Dealership set it at. This helped a little. 

But on the highway it rides very nice. 

32 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Agree with the above. Ford and Chevrolet both have great resale value. My 2012 F-150 was MSRP'd at $39k, bought for $29k, and traded in for $24k four years later. Getting 84% of my investment back after four years is damn good. My $45k Benz got me only $13k four years later, never again!

I considered RAM but saw the resale values in AutoTrader, pass.

Yes I was OTD with my 2010 SLT for $38k CAD and traded it 5 years later for $25,000. Cost me $2,600 CAD per year to drive a loaded, top tier truck you really cant beat that. But the good days might be over, especially since you walk in the same dealer today for the same truck and they want me to pay $70,000, nearly double what I did 8.5 years ago. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

GM sells more trucks than Ford does when you add the 1/4 tons https://www.tfltruck.com/2016/11/who-sells-the-most-pickup-trucks-in-america-get-ready-to-rumble-sales-data/ and even more when you add the Chassis trucks. But F150 has never been dethroned by a GM 1500, and even if GM's combined Silverado and Sierra numbers managed to beat F150, Ford would still legally be able to say "Best selling truck for X years running" because GM has 2 truck lines. So while it would be a lie, they could still make that claim from a marketing perspective. 

Lol, you sent me a link from 2016 and if you look down you can see they are also adding in the smaller( Colorado and Canyon) Its one thing to add the Sierra and Silvy together because they are half tons but to add mid size twins is not really correct . 

You  mentioned 1/4 ton sales leader ,  which is wrong 

You dont think Ford has Chasis trucks as well ?