New to GM, getting a new Truck. Need some reassurance.

2 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Yes I was OTD with my 2010 SLT for $38k CAD and traded it 5 years later for $25,000. Cost me $2,600 CAD per year to drive a loaded, top tier truck you really cant beat that. But the good days might be over, especially since you walk in the same dealer today for the same truck and they want me to pay $70,000, nearly double what I did 8.5 years ago. 

Yep 100% agreed , those days are long gone. My 2008 SLT was a tad over 40k 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

Lol, you sent me a link from 2016 and if you look down you can see they are also adding in the smaller( Colorado and Canyon) Its one thing to add the Sierra and Silvy together because they are half tons but to add mid size twins is not really correct . 

You  mentioned 1/4 ton sales leader ,  which is wrong 

You dont think Ford has Chasis trucks as well ? 

I know they added in the 1/4tons (Colorado, Mid-size, 1/4ton, what ever you want to call them), that's why I said GM's numbers are better when you add in the 1/4 tons. Now Ford has Ranger again, so it will be a fair comparison. I saw a total tally last year including Chassis trucks and Ford was in the 700,000's and GM was around 850,000. I looked for that report but could not find it. Not trying to prove you wrong or anything like that, just pointing out that as a manufacture GM sells more trucks or units than Ford does regardless of what people say about F150.

2 hours ago, aseibel said:

I'm not sure what that means. Is your daily driver a business write-off? If it is, then I guess I understand you wanting a change. Are you actually saving money by buying a new truck? what is "worth your while"?

But I don't get the need to switch vehicles just because some dealer tells you you should. I only get a new (to me) vehicle when I need it. I chose my truck because it met all my needs at what I considered a fair price, and I liked the bowtie more than the red letters on the front. Nothing out of the dealer's mouth affected my decision. I knew what I wanted when I walked in there.

Yeah, my truck is a write off for our company. I've had it for 6 years and I was probably going to buy a new one this year anyway. I killed two birds with one stone, I'm getting a new truck (probably at some sort of friends and family discount, we'll see) and I closed a deal for my company(which I own with my wife).

I have to say this though. I got a lot of good feedback from the community here. Over the years the RAM guys have a tendency to be a little salty, not all but some.

4 minutes ago, cbacarisse said:

Yeah, my truck is a write off for our company. I've had it for 6 years and I was probably going to buy a new one this year anyway. I killed two birds with one stone, I'm getting a new truck (probably at some sort of friends and family discount, we'll see) and I closed a deal for my company(which I own with my wife).

I have to say this though. I got a lot of good feedback from the community here. Over the years the RAM guys have a tendency to be a little salty, not all but some.

yeah, we're a friendly group, haha. As long as you are happy with the price, I'm confident you will be happy with the truck. I love mine.

On 6/18/2019 at 11:58 AM, f8l vnm said:

Truck sales numbers are  based on 1500-3500 category. Even if GM added GMC sales it still wouldn't touch F series sales. Facts. The last time GM beat Ford sales was in 2015 otherwise you have to go back in mid 2000s

As far as Fleet and selling the most ? Who cares , a sale is a sale . 

If anything those repeat construction trucks, landscape trucks etc that fords keeps selling is a testament to their durability.  No business owner will continue to buy fleet trucks if one brand given them issues. Simple as that.  You don't think GM wants those contracts ? ( its easy money as they trade in their trucks every 2-3 years)  So to knock Ford sales because of Fleet is kind of stupid  (not an insult to you) 

I have said this many times, no truck is perfect .  Get what looks best to you and has the best savings.  F all this brand loyalty stuff. These are multi billion dollar corps. 

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-top-10-cars/

Both the GM twins generate higher resale values after 3-5 years of ownership. The Tundra and Tacoma are also great in this regard. Both FCA and GM have been trying to limit fleet sales because they destroy residual values, while Ford has been stepping on the fleet sales gas pedal.  

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-maintains-fleet-sales-gm-124639653.html

It isn't necessarily about brand loyalty, but about finances.  You buy a GM truck and you are historically going to lose less in depreciation vs the other American brands over the course of the intervening years. You are only stupid if you do not realize that cars are a depreciating asset and do not take measures to financially protect yourself to the greatest extent possible.

With the Silverado you have a more truck like interior, a much smaller gas tank, but better reliability and rear leaf springs for the suspension. The Ram coil springs means that there is no way to really increase the payload capacity and adding Timbrens only increases the height of the axle stop so the ride is harsher. I added SuperSprings to my 2500HD to get an additional 1400 lbs of payload and this is not possible with the Ram 1500/2500/3500 pickups

That said, when I replace my 2011 Silverado 2500HD truck it will probably be with a Ram 1500 and it will be get the much larger fuel tank and the multi-function tailgate that open out like a normal  tailgate or can be split 60-40 to open like a panel truck. Putting bags of concrete and other heavy items or even something like bicycles or gear will be much easier with the tailgate effectively out of the way. Having a 43 gallon instead of a 26 gallon fuel tank makes for much more range while traveling in the boondocks without need to carry a pair of jerry cans as I would be doing with the Silverado 1500. Also the Ram Rebel can be better configured from the factory for off-road use to a much greater degree than anything from GM or Ford. Only Toyota with their TRD Pro trucks have factory provided suspensions that are ready to go as is.

I would feel Uneasy to if I was switching to a Dodge or a Ford! hahaha 

I have driven GM cars, trucks and suv's my whole life except for one six month period when a had a out of body experience and had a Mazda RX3 with a rotary engine. After the aliens brought me back to earth I immediately bought a 1973 Nova SS. and gained my sanity back.

On 6/17/2019 at 4:40 PM, cbacarisse said:

I'm about to make the Switch from RAM to GM and am trying to ease my and my wife's mind.

I currently have a 2014 RAM 1500 Sport with 2WD with the 5.7L Hemi. We absolutely love the truck. It's never failed me and looks good to boot.

However, I recently made the business decision to switch GMCs and I have been looking at a Sierra AT4 6.2L. I'm trying to convince myself, and my wife, that it will ride at least as good as what I have. I'm not a huge fan of the look of the new RAM even though it is full of goodies. I understand that the Denali is going to have the best ride, but it's just got too much chrome for my taste.

So my question to the people that have gone the same path, or at least has experience with both, what am are my trade-offs, if any?

Just traded in my 2016 Ram Sport with the 3.92 gears and hemi of course. I got a 2wd RST crew cab 5.3. I think the power is very similar. Just towed a fully loaded 6x12 uhaul trailer with the new truck and it was the same as the ram, which I towed the exact same thing with a few weeks ago. Personally I don’t like my new RST as much as the ram. The ride is jumpy in the back and there’s a lot of left to right movement over bumps on my new truck (compared to the ram). The bed feels light and less planted. I’m getting the same mpg as the ram in city driving too. 

Also in the ram when it switched to 4 cyl mode I never knew it other than the light on the dash. When my new truck is running on fewer cylinders I can tell, although it’s only a slight difference. The interior of my ram was better put together. From day one I’ve had a couple rattles and if I turn the bass up on the Bose system it can get worse. In the ram I had a 12” JL sub and nothing rattled for 50k miles ever. 

The rams exterior plastic bits were already fading and a few things weren’t holding up to being outside, but mechanical issues were zero. This is my first GM truck and it’s ok...6.5 out of 10. If I had to do it again I’d wait a year for the 2020 rams to avoid the first year issues and get another ram. 

6 hours ago, JimTX said:

Just traded in my 2016 Ram Sport with the 3.92 gears and hemi of course. I got a 2wd RST crew cab 5.3. I think the power is very similar. Just towed a fully loaded 6x12 uhaul trailer with the new truck and it was the same as the ram, which I towed the exact same thing with a few weeks ago. Personally I don’t like my new RST as much as the ram. The ride is jumpy in the back and there’s a lot of left to right movement over bumps on my new truck (compared to the ram). The bed feels light and less planted. I’m getting the same mpg as the ram in city driving too. 

Also in the ram when it switched to 4 cyl mode I never knew it other than the light on the dash. When my new truck is running on fewer cylinders I can tell, although it’s only a slight difference. The interior of my ram was better put together. From day one I’ve had a couple rattles and if I turn the bass up on the Bose system it can get worse. In the ram I had a 12” JL sub and nothing rattled for 50k miles ever. 

The rams exterior plastic bits were already fading and a few things weren’t holding up to being outside, but mechanical issues were zero. This is my first GM truck and it’s ok...6.5 out of 10. If I had to do it again I’d wait a year for the 2020 rams to avoid the first year issues and get another ram. 

The ride in a GM or Ford will be rougher in the back. You have a truck suspension again vs. Ram's SUV/Dodge Caravan style coil springs. Your new one will tow more, carry more and be safer doing it. I will admit though, the 80% of the time you have no payload, that Ram is a great ride best of the bunch for sure. I would say literally 100 times nicer than the Dodge's from the 90's.