Head gaskets

I have a 2016  GMC Dinali 6.2 L and I was just wondering if anybody was having problems with trying to get  head   Gaskets   I took my truck into the dealer for a tick in the engine and they said it was my Lifters and Cam  and I was told it would take four days to repair that was two weeks ago they are telling me that the head gaskets are on back order and I was just wondering if it is bad to have my engine tore down for two weeks? And do not know when head gaskets will be available to finish the job.

Edited by awax
Add

30 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Not bad to have engine open as long as debris and water stay out. And I guessing they are speaking of factory part number head gaskets. 

16 minutes ago, awax said:

Yeah and the truck is parked in the back lot of the dealership  said they cannot get a gasket anywhere 

17 minutes ago, awax said:

Yeah and the truck is parked in the back lot of the dealership  said they cannot get a gasket anywhere 

Warranty work I am also assuming? Because I can order a performance brand gasket this minute. Not that the GM MLS style is bad it is a great part. Just saying there or option if not a warranty claim.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It is not a very comfortable thing to know head gaskets are on backorder. That means GM is going through a lot more of them than they had anticipated, signaling poor longevity of the new LT engine family as compared to the LS engines. I would ask them for a loaner truck or to use an aftermarket gasket if you are going to be down for a long time. All these lifter/head issues make me want to dump my personal truck before warranty is up. Don't even want to know the cost of a new L86 dropped in with no warranty. Probably about $12-15k in Canada after labour and tax. Hope it works out well for you. They are all junk these days no matter what emblem is on the grill. 

• Like 1

Yes theybare available just the way that dealer gets then is delayed. But it isn't uncommon for head gaskets to be backordered. The stock MLS are awsome and even high end builds still run stock but spray them and have head studs. 

On 6/17/2019 at 9:46 PM, awax said:

On 6/17/2019 at 9:46 PM, awax said:

Still no head gaskets  went to the dealership today to get some stuff out of the truck and I looked inside my truck and the top end of the engine is in my backseat with the seat up With a blanket between my carpet and parts  don’t know if that’s  common practice or not but it didn’t look good and my truck smells like old oil I’m not too  impressed with this dealership right now .

45 minutes ago, awax said:

Still no head gaskets  went to the dealership today to get some stuff out of the truck and I looked inside my truck and the top end of the engine is in my backseat with the seat up With a blanket between my carpet and parts  don’t know if that’s  common practice or not but it didn’t look good and my truck smells like old oil I’m not too  impressed with this dealership right now .

I would Blow a Gasket if I were you!

Engine parts inside the cab, in the back seat?

Oil chemicals will certainly permeate the interior over a short amount of time leaving odors.

When this is all over do yourself a favor and find a New Dealer.:thumbs:

• Like 1