Help Selecting New Silverado/Sierra?

1 hour ago, Hexa Fox said:

My father said to first make a deal with them and then ask them if they will swap out my wheels and tires. The tires on my current truck are almost brand new. I do not know if I want my same wheels though. I am thinking I would rather have the rims that have less than 20,000 miles on them. However, the tires on this truck are in pretty bad shape, I can see me replacing them in a year. So I am wondering if they will swap the tires and only the tires. 

I would simply have them put new tires on the wheels that come with the new truck. .  Are you thinking of using your '07 as a trade-in?  

1 hour ago, Hexa Fox said:

Thanks for the input, the 5.3 V8 is definitely what I was hoping for. However, I took the 4.3 V6 out on the highway and it had no trouble accelerating whatsoever. It actually surprised me very much. 

If your 4.8 V.8 met your needs, the 4.3 V6 has almost equal torque and  horsepower. I have a heavier truck and frequently pull a travel trailer and haven't encountered a situation where additional horsepower would make me feel safer or more confident.  

You won’t notice the power gain till you drive one IMO. I didn’t think my 4.3 was bad until I passed a car in my 5.3. I was at the limiter in half the time than my 4.3 ever got me there. I was surprised to feel the engine “cut out” then looked down and was going 100.

Also the 5.3 doesn’t shift near as often. I live in the hill country of Texas and my 4.3 would shift on every hill. My 5.3 shifts maybe 1 time outta 10 hills. Just my 2cents.

I would test drive a 5.3 and go from there. I wish I would have my first go round, but I’m happy I got to drive my 4.3 for 4 years.

There is no argument that GM offers larger, more powerful engines than found in the truck being considered.  GM also offers trucks with larger cab sizes and higher trim levels.  I believe Op has found a really nice, lightly used truck that would be a great update /refresh on his current truck.  The prospect of owning a newer, pristine condition, Silverado 285 hp 4X4 standard cab pickup is pretty difficult to find fault with, imo.  

• Like 1

Single Cab?  4.3L it will drive quick enough!  15K dang...tell him nobody want's this crap with a V6...I will pay 15K!  I like it V6 does not bother me at all they are stout, the 4.3's

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Donstar said:

There is no argument that GM offers larger, more powerful engines than found in the truck being considered.  GM also offers trucks with larger cab sizes and higher trim levels.  I believe Op has found a really nice, lightly used truck that would be a great update /refresh on his current truck.  The prospect of owning a newer, pristine condition, Silverado 285 hp 4X4 standard cab pickup is pretty difficult to find fault with, imo.  

1 hour ago, mookdoc6 said:

Single Cab?  4.3L it will drive quick enough!  15K dang...tell him nobody want's this crap with a V6...I will pay 15K!  I like it V6 does not bother me at all they are stout, the 4.3's

So it accelerated so smooth and quietly it did not impress me, until I looked down and was going 85 MPH on the highway. Specifically, I did not think I was going that fast. My truck makes a lot of noise and you can really 'feel it' when you punch the gas. However, it does sound like this truck will meet my needs, especially since I need a truck and do not want to consider a second vehicle as a daily driver right now. 

I honestly did not think I would ever and I mean ever be seriously considering a 4.3 V6 in a full size pickup truck. That is until I found out the specifications are slightly higher than my 4.8 V8 and the truck is really nice. What I really want to do is drive out of there with the truck without trading my truck in. I believe that I can make more off my truck selling it privately. Also I would like to try to swap the tires out on my new truck. Then see how they perform on the new truck before I get rid of them. 

I filled out the form from GM Financial so I am absolutely approved for the truck on whatever amount we agree on. They told me I can sign a paper and drive away in it. Now that they have figured that out they will not leave me alone. However, I made them a $19,000 offer and they have not taken it seriously one bit. Right now they cannot stop talking about seeing my truck for trade. They keep calling and asking when I can come out next despite me telling them how busy I am. They have called here at least twice today and have not talked to them yet. Nothing about a better offer, just want me to come out with my truck and "discuss" things. 

I personally wouldn't worry about switching tires between trucks or get involved with trading-in your old truck.  Negotiating brand new tires and a free service (oil change) with your new purchase is not unreasonable.  It saves you a lot more money than it costs the dealer.   Also, selling your old truck privately will be easier with the almost new tires you recently purchased.  It sounds to me like the dealership is interested in talking.  Would your Dad or another trusted person go with you to "discuss" this potential purchase with your salesman?  I recently accompanied my niece in a car purchase as an observer.  It was almost a good cop/bad cop scenario.  I was able to say things she couldn't because I had no fear of losing a deal.  Your salesman is trying to make the most money he can for his company and himself.  Don't be intimidated, keep calm and take your time.  Feel free to take a break to organize your thoughts.  You made a reasonable offer at $19K.  Offer to meet them half way ($21K).  If they refuse to counter offer, time to walk away.  My guess is they will counter at a token amount below asking price.  This is when I'd tell them your absolute final.  (I suggested $21, 400 with new tires earlier)  A reputable dealer should have the truck serviced, cleaned and ready for the road but you may want to ask.    Once your deal is made they will likely try to sell you on various treatments, services or warranties.  Just say no thank you and repeat.   

• Like 1

turn and run...spend more time shopping online...that is a terrible deal...you can have cars shipped for $500 across the country...Regardless of the v6 or v8, you can find a much better truck than the link for $23k...

19 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I personally wouldn't worry about switching tires between trucks or get involved with trading-in your old truck.  Negotiating brand new tires and a free service (oil change) with your new purchase is not unreasonable.  It saves you a lot more money than it costs the dealer.   Also, selling your old truck privately will be easier with the almost new tires you recently purchased.  It sounds to me like the dealership is interested in talking.  Would your Dad or another trusted person go with you to "discuss" this potential purchase with your salesman?  I recently accompanied my niece in a car purchase as an observer.  It was almost a good cop/bad cop scenario.  I was able to say things she couldn't because I had no fear of losing a deal.  Your salesman is trying to make the most money he can for his company and himself.  Don't be intimidated, keep calm and take your time.  Feel free to take a break to organize your thoughts.  You made a reasonable offer at $19K.  Offer to meet them half way ($21K).  If they refuse to counter offer, time to walk away.  My guess is they will counter at a token amount below asking price.  This is when I'd tell them your absolute final.  (I suggested $21, 400 with new tires earlier)  A reputable dealer should have the truck serviced, cleaned and ready for the road but you may want to ask.    Once your deal is made they will likely try to sell you on various treatments, services or warranties.  Just say no thank you and repeat.   

That is what I wanted to do from the beginning. Figure out what this truck is worth to them, pay and drive away. They are very interested in seeing my truck now. My father said he thinks I can easily get between $9,000-$10,000 for my truck. The private value on it on Kelly Blue Book is between $8,000 and $11,000. Plus I have the F1 Back Flip cover, which is in excellent shape. There is one little indentation where my dumb @$$ put my knee while I was waxing the top of the cab. It bothers me but is hardly noticeable. Plus the tires are a brand new set of Michelin's that costed $1,000 from Costco.  I believe they have about 1,000 miles on them and can prove it once I locate the paper work. 

I almost decided to just screw over any kind of deal all together. The first guy that I dealt with got kind of rude when he realized I was not going to pay what he wanted. He wanted to convince me the truck was worth $22,700 and not a penny less. To be honest, I really want to get under $21,000. The girl I am dealing with now is much, much more friendly and negotiable, but I feel like we are not getting anywhere. Anyway, if the truck sells it sells, mine is fine for right now and does everything I want. I am going to wait and hope they become more reasonable. 

Thanks for all the advice Donstar. 

Also would it be totally unreasonable for her to let me bring the truck home while keeping my old one at the dealership for say 24 hours? I could get it on a lift and check out the underside of it and get a idea of how hard this oil change is going to be that everyone is complaining about. Not to mention drive it around town a little.  Could I put down like a $500.00 security deposit or something? If I did that could I expect to get it back easily when returning their truck? 

19 minutes ago, spenpet said:

turn and run...spend more time shopping online...that is a terrible deal...you can have cars shipped for $500 across the country...Regardless of the v6 or v8, you can find a much better truck than the link for $23k...

I definitely want a better deal, but I have been doing research and the MSRP for this truck is easily $30,000+. It looks like with options it is closer to $35,000. Now I realize you could even negotiate that offer lower. I talked to a friend in the business I trust and he said the lifetime power train warranty is pretty much a scam. He said it is especially true if I do my own maintenance because they are not going to accept my records/receipts as real evidence. Every single time I talk to them they mention the lifetime power train warranty over and over again even though I have told them it is not a big selling point for me lol.

So if you were me and wanted this truck, what number would they have to come down to interest you? 

Also here is a link to Cars.com when looking at similar models. This exact truck I am looking at is listed there from this dealer too. It is confusing because there are base models that are brand new there listed at $23,000 but have nothing. When you look at ones that have options like 4WD and cruise control you jump up about $10,000. The price listed for this truck is good but not great. That was another argument I made last time I was on the phone with them. This one already has a spray in bed liner which I like too. 

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?bsId=20210&cylCntId=28108&mkId=20053&mkId=20061&page=1&perPage=20&rd=50&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&shippable-dealers-checkbox=true&sort=relevance&zc=25414&localVehicles=false

Edited by Hexa Fox

49 minutes ago, Hexa Fox said:

I definitely want a better deal, but I have been doing research and the MSRP for this truck is easily $30,000+. It looks like with options it is closer to $35,000. Now I realize you could even negotiate that offer lower. I talked to a friend in the business I trust and he said the lifetime power train warranty is pretty much a scam. He said it is especially true if I do my own maintenance because they are not going to accept my records/receipts as real evidence. Every single time I talk to them they mention the lifetime power train warranty over and over again even though I have told them it is not a big selling point for me lol.

So if you were me and wanted this truck, what number would they have to come down to interest you? 

Also here is a link to Cars.com when looking at similar models. This exact truck I am looking at is listed there from this dealer too. It is confusing because there are base models that are brand new there listed at $23,000 but have nothing. When you look at ones that have options like 4WD and cruise control you jump up about $10,000. The price listed for this truck is good but not great. That was another argument I made last time I was on the phone with them. This one already has a spray in bed liner which I like too. 

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?bsId=20210&cylCntId=28108&mkId=20053&mkId=20061&page=1&perPage=20&rd=50&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&shippable-dealers-checkbox=true&sort=relevance&zc=25414&localVehicles=false

you are out of your mind if you are trying to say that a 4 1/2 year old v6 single cab worktruck is worth $30-$35k.

just do an internet search...this is twice the truck for way less...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=517200768&zip=73034&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D73034%26startYear%3D2015%26maxMileage%3D30000%26incremental%3Dall%26endYear%3D2020%26modelCodeList%3DCHEVCK%2CCHEV150%26makeCodeList%3DCHEV%26driveGroup%3DAWD4WD%26listingTypes%3DUSED%26minPrice%3D16000%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26maxPrice%3D20000%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Don%26searchRadius%3D0&listingTypes=USED&minPrice=16000&startYear=2015&numRecords=25&maxPrice=20000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2020&modelCodeList=CHEVCK%2CCHEV150&makeCodeList=CHEV&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=CHEV&modelCode1=CHEV150&clickType=listing

2 minutes ago, spenpet said:

I love people on the Internet that know everything. My friend what you have posted is a from a salvage yard. The front of that truck is literally destroyed. If you would have taken literally fifteen seconds to look at that before posting instead of scrambling to make a point you would have been a lot better off. So who is out of their mind? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hexa Fox said:

I love people on the Internet that know everything. My friend what you have posted is a from a salvage yard. The front of that truck is literally destroyed. If you would have taken literally fifteen seconds to look at that before posting instead of scrambling to make a point you would have been a lot better off. So who is out of their mind? 

no, i was making a point...you are the one looking to pay brand new price for a damn 2015...i wish you the best bub.  (and the wrecked truck is still a better deal than the one you posted)

Just now, spenpet said:

no, i was making a point...you are the one looking to pay brand new price for a damn 2015...i wish you the best bub.  (and the wrecked truck is still a better deal than the one you posted)

You are not very smart are you? Like I am going to go out and spend my money on a wrecked vehicle. Go waste someone else's time. Show me where you can buy this truck brand new for $23,000? 

Just now, Hexa Fox said:

You are not very smart are you? Like I am going to go out and spend my money on a wrecked vehicle. Go waste someone else's time. Show me where you can buy this truck brand new for $23,000? 

im not doing your shopping for you...go buy the truck, its your money...you clearly arent looking for advise, you are looking for validation...BUY IT.

3 minutes ago, spenpet said:

im not doing your shopping for you...go buy the truck, its your money...you clearly arent looking for advise, you are looking for validation...BUY IT.

I am looking for advice from reasonable people. Not morons. Also I am still waiting for you to show me where you can buy this truck with options, brand new for $23,000? I am trying to get advice for buying what I think is a nice truck and you come suggesting one that is wrecked? Like I said go waste someone else's time. 

Edited by Hexa Fox