Help Selecting New Silverado/Sierra?

Keep in mind this is not a local website. In my area I’m seeing ads for brand new 18 left overs still advertised for 28K in Houston. Texas Edition double cabs. In my area I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for that truck, especially if I was financing. The difference in payments would be considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Hexa Fox said:

That is what I wanted to do from the beginning. Figure out what this truck is worth to them, pay and drive away. They are very interested in seeing my truck now. My father said he thinks I can easily get between $9,000-$10,000 for my truck. The private value on it on Kelly Blue Book is between $8,000 and $11,000. Plus I have the F1 Back Flip cover, which is in excellent shape. There is one little indentation where my dumb @$$ put my knee while I was waxing the top of the cab. It bothers me but is hardly noticeable. Plus the tires are a brand new set of Michelin's that costed $1,000 from Costco.  I believe they have about 1,000 miles on them and can prove it once I locate the paper work. 

I almost decided to just screw over any kind of deal all together. The first guy that I dealt with got kind of rude when he realized I was not going to pay what he wanted. He wanted to convince me the truck was worth $22,700 and not a penny less. To be honest, I really want to get under $21,000. The girl I am dealing with now is much, much more friendly and negotiable, but I feel like we are not getting anywhere. Anyway, if the truck sells it sells, mine is fine for right now and does everything I want. I am going to wait and hope they become more reasonable. 

Thanks for all the advice Donstar. 

Also would it be totally unreasonable for her to let me bring the truck home while keeping my old one at the dealership for say 24 hours? I could get it on a lift and check out the underside of it and get a idea of how hard this oil change is going to be that everyone is complaining about. Not to mention drive it around town a little.  Could I put down like a $500.00 security deposit or something? If I did that could I expect to get it back easily when returning their truck? 

Good choice on tires.  I took my past three trucks to Costco for Michelins shortly after purchase!  It sounds like your Dad is offering his help.  He is a far better resource for you than any of us on this forum.   He knows  the variables you are facing and has your best interests in mind.  If you want to take this truck home over night, ask.  Last time I was at my dealership looking at an '18 my salesman offered to let me take it home for a day or two!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KARNUT said:

Keep in mind this is not a local website. In my area I’m seeing ads for brand new 18 left overs still advertised for 28K in Houston. Texas Edition double cabs. In my area I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for that truck, especially if I was financing. The difference in payments would be considered.

Yeah I know it varies from locality to locality. I did not know it was that much though. If it is the 5.3 V8 with 4x4 it is pretty considerable. Anyway, that is one reason I sent the link I did before, it should display prices in my area. 

I am just throwing this out there, but I would never have anything like a motor vehicle shipped to me. I just personally feel uncomfortable doing that. I could not justify paying for something like that without seeing it first. Just like I would never buy a vehicle with that much damage for any reason, whether it was a collision, deer, etc.

When I bought my Ferris IS2100z (zero turn) I payed almost exactly $10,000 for it. I could have saved about $2,000 with free shipping if I would have bought if offline and had it freighted to me. I seriously considered it but decided to go with the dealer. Even though it would have had warranty I could just not justify spending that much money to have something arrive at my door step that I had not seen yet. Now that I like Ferris I may (as in probably not) consider buying my next one offline. 

Just now, Donstar said:

Good choice on tires.  I took my past three trucks to Costco for Michelins shortly after purchase!  It sounds like your Dad is offering his help.  He is a far better resource for you than any of us on this forum.   He knows  the variables you are facing and has your best interests in mind.  If you want to take this truck home over night, ask.  Last time I was at my dealership looking at an '18 my salesman offered to let me take it home for a day or two!

I wish these Michelin's had a better ride to them. I will not doubt they are superior tires that will last but I had a softer Good Year Wrangler tire on it before and the ride was noticeably better in my opinion. However, I am happy I went with Costco and Michelin and did not get talked into something cheaper somewhere else. 

Yeah I know it varies from locality to locality. I did not know it was that much though. If it is the 5.3 V8 with 4x4 it is pretty considerable. Anyway, that is one reason I sent the link I did before, it should display prices in my area. 

I am just throwing this out there, but I would never have anything like a motor vehicle shipped to me. I just personally feel uncomfortable doing that. I could not justify paying for something like that without seeing it first. Just like I would never buy a vehicle with that much damage for any reason, whether it was a collision, deer, etc.

When I bought my Ferris IS2100z (zero turn) I payed almost exactly $10,000 for it. I could have saved about $2,000 with free shipping if I would have bought if offline and had it freighted to me. I seriously considered it but decided to go with the dealer. Even though it would have had warranty I could just not justify spending that much money to have something arrive at my door step that I had not seen yet. Now that I like Ferris I may (as in probably not) consider buying my next one offline. 

A few dollars doesn’t matter as much if the vehicle is going to be kept awhile. In my case I trade often so I shop deals harder. My wife keeps hers a long time. We have 3 of hers currently. So in her case she likes it we buy it. Her last one is 8 years old. Mine is two.

You’ve been given this advise, but I’ll restate it.  Throw down your best offer and walk away.  You’ve already killed your negotiation leverage buy showing so much interest.  Tell them a number, tell them it’s your best and final and mean it.  Other than that, keep looking.  It may not be out there right this minute, but there’s always another vehicle out there to be had.  Don’t forget that.  THERE’S ALWAYS ANOTHER ONE.  You like this truck too much to be objective.  Time to wrap this up.  If you want it no matter what, then go to the dealership and suck it up.  Pay their best offer (they’ll come down a few bucks and act like they’re hurting because they like you), and move on, knowing you got what you wanted.

You've already wasted too much of your life on this.  Wrap it up.

1 minute ago, KARNUT said:

A few dollars doesn’t matter as much if the vehicle is going to be kept awhile. In my case I trade often so I shop deals harder. My wife keeps hers a long time. We have 3 of hers currently. So in her case she likes it we buy it. Her last one is 8 years old. Mine is two.

That is understandable. I plan to keep it and run the miles up on it. I may have to consider a job that is a considerable commute so the cruise control and fuel economy over what I have now is a big turn on for me personally. Many of the people I have talked to that know the subject have recommended the 5.3 V8 but said the 4.3 V6 will give better fuel economy. I think it will be very similar with both of them being EcoTec I hope to notice at least a couple extra miles to the gallon with the 4.3 V6 overall. I absolutely have to have a truck. I guess I could consider an SUV with a trailer but not something I even want to think about right now. 

She told me to text her anytime but I am scared to now. She does not have my cell phone number yet but has been calling the house a lot lol. 

So the main reason I am getting rid of my truck is because it was originally from Pennsylvania. So it is starting to show signs of rusting, it is not bad right now but my friend said I am definitely going to have trouble with inspection in the future. It is also coming up on needing new brake pads and rotors too. None of that is a huge deal to me just would rather not have to deal with it, especially the rust. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GN2018 said:

You’ve been given this advise, but I’ll restate it.  Throw down your best offer and walk away.  You’ve already killed your negotiation leverage buy showing so much interest.  Tell them a number, tell them it’s your best and final and mean it.  Other than that, keep looking.  It may not be out there right this minute, but there’s always another vehicle out there to be had.  Don’t forget that.  THERE’S ALWAYS ANOTHER ONE.  You like this truck too much to be objective.  Time to wrap this up.  If you want it no matter what, then go to the dealership and suck it up.  Pay their best offer (they’ll come down a few bucks and act like they’re hurting because they like you), and move on, knowing you got what you wanted.

You've already wasted too much of your life on this.  Wrap it up.

I am not wasting my life on this at all. Not only do I think it is worth my time I personally enjoy it, even discussing it. Also I have gotten some good advice from users that I can use now or in the future. 

Secondly, I have only been to the dealer twice. The first time I was there I was not even interested in this truck because I overlooked it because I did not think it was 4x4 and the 4.3 V6. Now that I know the engine is comparable to mine in performance and saw it is a 4x4 I am interested. Also I have only talked to them on the phone a couple times. 

My next move is going to be talking it over with my father, coming up with reasonable number, telling her what it is and asking if I can bring the truck home for a day. 

I’ve negotiated deals my entire working career.  You’ve already shown your hand.  If you get them to come down to $22K, I’ll be surprised and proud of you.  Remember, just like there’s another vehicle for you, there’s another customer for them.  You’re only hope is to drop a number and walk away.  Take it home for a day and you may as well just buy it.  Plus, as far as that goes, they’ll put it on a lift for you and let you look at it.  The only reason they’ll let you take it home is because that will almost guarantee that you’ll buy the truck.  You’ll love it and you’ll pay more than you want.  Once you envision yourself owning the truck, it will take a very strong constitution for you to walk away.

I mean this sincerely, good luck.  Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GN2018 said:

I’ve negotiated deals my entire working career.  You’ve already shown your hand.  If you get them to come down to $22K, I’ll be surprised and proud of you.  Remember, just like there’s another vehicle for you, there’s another customer for them.  You’re only hope is to drop a number and walk away.  Take it home for a day and you may as well just buy it.  Plus, as far as that goes, they’ll put it on a lift for you and let you look at it.  The only reason they’ll let you take it home is because that will almost guarantee that you’ll buy the truck.  You’ll love it and you’ll pay more than you want.  Once you envision yourself owning the truck, it will take a very strong constitution for you to walk away.

I mean this sincerely, good luck.  Let us know how it goes.

If I get them down to $20,000 will you drive down and shake my hand? 

Son!  You listen...19K ain't bad go lower get more for your trade in etc.  They want to sell?  You want to buy?  We do this today!  Honestly, they know most want nothing to do with the V6 and that is customers mistake not yours...Go lower!  Get a great truck at a great price!

• Like 2

I missed the $23k part of the deal... I think that's very high for single cab v6 basic truck.  https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/764059704/overview/

$23k for a much better equipped truck with low miles... I don't know if you need a single cab or not...

Edited by Imcrazy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

I missed the $23k part of the deal... I think that's very high for single cab v6 basic truck.  https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/764059704/overview/

$23k for a much better equipped truck with low miles... I don't know if you need a single cab or not...

I like having the long bed in my truck and to be honest I just like the look of the regular cab. It can be a pain in the @$$ sometimes since you are limited to your passengers. I have to admit that is a good deal for that truck. However, I would not buy one like that because of the limited rear seating, not sure what it is called but think it is a total waste. No offense to anyone that has it, but if I have a truck with four doors the rear seating should not be limited like that. 

My plan is to just let them sit on it over the weekend and contact them again early in the week. I am going to offer $17,500 for it and might consider it for $18,000 or even $19,000. I am in no rush, I have a truck right now that is fine, I have plenty of time to wait for an upgrade. 

16 hours ago, Hexa Fox said:

I like having the long bed in my truck and to be honest I just like the look of the regular cab. It can be a pain in the @$$ sometimes since you are limited to your passengers. I have to admit that is a good deal for that truck. However, I would not buy one like that because of the limited rear seating, not sure what it is called but think it is a total waste. No offense to anyone that has it, but if I have a truck with four doors the rear seating should not be limited like that. 

My plan is to just let them sit on it over the weekend and contact them again early in the week. I am going to offer $17,500 for it and might consider it for $18,000 or even $19,000. I am in no rush, I have a truck right now that is fine, I have plenty of time to wait for an upgrade. 

Please keep us posted.  If you really want the truck, and it fits comfortably within your budget,  offer what makes sense to you but don't be disappointed if they remain close to their sticker cost.  The dealership is asking a price that they believe will generate interest from a potential buyer.   There are others like me who will find this type of truck appealing and worth paying closer to asking.   The dealership also knows that more interested buyers can be generated by asking an outrageously low price.  However, I suspect they are a long way from accepting an offer in the "teens".

• Like 1