Onstar Basic

I just purchased a used 2018 Silverado LT in April. Does anyone know if our trucks come with any kind of basic/limted/trial subscription from the factory? Honestly, I've never bothered to check on mine, as I just assumed it wasn't enabled and that I would have to pay for it..

Call them. On all GM vehicles purchased after 2010 you get TEN free years of onstar basic. Yes I said that correctly. 10 years. The 1 month trial is the top shelf plan with WiFi, key fob, diagnostics on demand, nav stuff and vehicle locator, etc... And that also will start when you call them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the one month all you get free is their connected access plan which includes a monthly vehicle diagnostics report, dealer maintenance notifications, smart driver, marketplace, in vehicle apps, and Amazon Key. Pretty much all useless...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Call them. On all GM vehicles purchased after 2010 you get TEN free years of onstar basic. Yes I said that correctly. 10 years. The 1 month trial is the top shelf plan with WiFi, key fob, diagnostics on demand, nav stuff and vehicle locator, etc... And that also will start when you call them.

They've changed that several times depending on the year of the vehicle...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, slide187 said:

Not any more.

Starting in 2015 they went to 5 free years of the "Basic" plan.

Then in 2016 they went to 3 months free of the top plan (5 if you give them a credit card) then nothing free after the trial.

Then since 2017 it has been 1 month free of the top plan (2 if you give them a credit card) then nothing free after the trial.

To get just the Remote Start/Lock/Unlock after your trial expires you need to subscribe to the "Remote Access" plan which is $14.99/month (or $149.99 if you pay for the whole year at once).

This is not just for the trucks -- it's across all GM brands and vehicles (even Cadillac buyers get screwed!)

Edited by sk

I'm having this problem too. I bought a 2011 Silvy in late 2016 and got a 5 year trial with the diag reports and the keyfob app for my phone.  Wrecked that truck and bought a 2013 in late 2018.  They wouldn't hook anything up without taking a credit card number.  The same diag report and keyfob app now costs $15 per month.  Too much just to use the keyfob app a few times a month and glance at a diag report.

Does anyone know if there's any other way to work the keyfob through a phone?  Don't even need the remote start, just lock/unlock.  

Thanks.

Not any more.

Starting in 2015 they went to 5 free years of the "Basic" plan.
Then in 2016 they went to 3 months free of the top plan (5 if you give them a credit card) then nothing free after the trial.
Then since 2017 it has been 1 month free of the top plan (2 if you give them a credit card) then nothing free after the trial.

To get just the Remote Start/Lock/Unlock after your trial expires you need to subscribe to the "Remote Access" plan which is $14.99/month (or $149.99 if you pay for the whole year at once).

This is not just for the trucks -- it's across all GM brands and vehicles (even Cadillac buyers get screwed!)

Negatron, Megatron.

I just bought my 2018 this past March and this is what my expiration date is:
4c1120f9b46c6a7979f04e125be9bfb9.jpg

I agree with you on the prices tho. It’s way too pricey. And the key fob isn’t too expensive, but expensive enuff to be annoyingly not worth it.

• Like 1

Negatron, Megatron.

I just bought my 2018 this past March and this is what my expiration date is:
4c1120f9b46c6a7979f04e125be9bfb9.jpg

I agree with you on the prices tho. It’s way too pricey. And the key fob isn’t too expensive, but expensive enuff to be annoyingly not worth it.

You got lucky. Maybe it goes by the build date or something? My Dad bought his 18 at the end of March and he only got 1 month plus the two they give you for adding a card...

You got lucky. Maybe it goes by the build date or something? My Dad bought his 18 at the end of March and he only got 1 month plus the two they give you for adding a card...

That’s so weird then. Like how they run a business with so many customers all fast and loose like that. But the free basic features aren’t really anything you’d want anyways. The good stuff all has a monthly cost associated. At best the only “nifty” thing I get is a diagnostic email 1nce a month. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I got them to give me an extra month of the key fob and then 9.99 after that, but I cancelled before it renewed because 9.99 is still way too much for the convenience of using my phone as a key fob. I get Hulu, Spotify and showtime bundled together for just 5 bucks a month because I’m a student... so 9.99 for a remote is way overpriced in my opinion.