Time to do 45k check up and maintenance

So I want to do my 45k maintenance and want to replace the brake fluid, flash the radiator and change the transmission fluid as well. What do everyone is are a product for a replacement? What is the considered the best for use? Thanks

Sorry  that i forgot to mention that my truck is a 2014. 

Edited by Rock1500

Stay with the factory spec fluids.

Pick your brand but stay with what GM says to use. You could go to the dealership and buy their fluids but you will pay a premium for AC delco brand.

GM still runs dexcool. That is the only thing I'd put back in it. Whatever is on sale is what I buy. Only get the concentrate because buying 50/50 is a waste of money.

Valvoline makes Dexron 6 transmission fluid, it works as designed. You could run a different brand if you wanted too. Like mobil 1 or amsoil.

Brake fluid should be DOT3 fluid if I remember right, double check that but again you can pick your brand as they will do the job you want.

• Like 1

Most vehicles don’t require any additional service until 60K extreme service. It early for brake fluid and antifreeze. Some do transmission fluid exchange early depending on use. I do brake fluid when doing a brake job. You didn’t say how old the vehicle is that comes into play. I wouldn’t put new tires on a vehicle with 50 percent wear left on the old. I don’t do that with fluids either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did brake fluid after year of ownership and found air in the rear brake lines. Now the truck brakes evenly as opposed to nose diving. I used ATE TYP200 fluid which is a super dot 4 and has an ultra high wet boiling point. I’ve used brembo 5.1 in the past with excellent results. 

How old is your vehicle?  Coolant is good for 5yrs or 150k.  Brake fluid is a good thing to change out if it has some years on it as well.  Changing out the filter and fluid in the transmission at 45k will work well and for me a good time to do it.  

As stated above, Dexcool for coolant,  I use AMSOIL's coolant but that is just me.  The ATE brake fluid is a good fluid.  I used their Super Blue when it was still available.  Made changing over the fluid easy since you knew when the new fluid was coming out of the bleeder was blue.

Dexron VI is what you want to get for transmission.  Valvoline is a good choice as are the other dexron VI fluids.

How old is your vehicle?  Coolant is good for 5yrs or 150k.  Brake fluid is a good thing to change out if it has some years on it as well.  Changing out the filter and fluid in the transmission at 45k will work well and for me a good time to do it.  

As stated above, Dexcool for coolant,  I use AMSOIL's coolant but that is just me.  The ATE brake fluid is a good fluid.  I used their Super Blue when it was still available.  Made changing over the fluid easy since you knew when the new fluid was coming out of the bleeder was blue.

Dexron VI is what you want to get for transmission.  Valvoline is a good choice as are the other dexron VI fluids.
Thanks for the info, sorry I forgot to mention my year. It is a 2014

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Most vehicles don’t require any additional service until 60K extreme service. It early for brake fluid and antifreeze. Some do transmission fluid exchange early depending on use. I do brake fluid when doing a brake job. You didn’t say how old the vehicle is that comes into play. I wouldn’t put new tires on a vehicle with 50 percent wear left on the old. I don’t do that with fluids either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry i forgot to mention it, my truck is a 2014.

• Like 1

Manufacturer specs for maintenance are determined by marketers not engineers.

Every 2 years, I do brake fluid and coolant.

Every 30k I do transmission and differentials.

Every 20-25k I do transfer case.

Every 5k I do engine oil.

Spark plugs/wires/boots every 60k.

All with factory fluids or upgrades (full synthetic instead of conventional or blended, for example).

I do this for every vehicle I own, and over a million combined miles I've never had a single mechanical failure or DTC other than a faulty gas cap or a misfire for a failed 150k coil.  The engine in my Olds rolled off the line in 1976 and is as bright and shiny inside as it was on that day, now with several hundred thousand on it, and I'd drive it to Patagonia tomorrow (for the next month) if I needed to.  My '84 GMC is my fall-back whenever any vehicle is in my shop for maintenance.

• Like 3

I do regular fluid changes also and part swaps early.

I have always had dependable vehicles.

Can't remember when I was broke down on the side of the road.

Pretty simple to me, just do the maintenance and don't abuse them and they are reliable and last.

I know some parts fail and things happen but a lot of the threads on here always makes me wonder how the truck was maintained.

:)

• Like 1

You could also look at replacing the front and rear diff fluid along with the transfer case fluid if you have auto 4x4. I just ordered Amsoil and I will be replacing them myself when I get some time. I just had my tranny fluid and filter replace yesterday on my 2014 for the second time. I have 80,000 miles on her now.