Head Up Display - 1 Tech Package, 2 RPO #'s, 2 Different Displays

With the help of fellow member eppieguy (who gave me his VIN that I could compare against mine with the GM Engineers) I have been able to find out some more information about the Head Up Display that is part of the Tech Package option, to find out why some trucks show radio song and phone info and some don't.

Although there is only 1 option package (Tech Package) available to order the Head Up display,  two RPO Codes can potentially ship with the 2019 Silverado and Sierra Tech Package: UDD and UHS.  Only UHS shows the radio, song and phone info in the Head Up Display.

Here is the RPO information for the 2 Displays:

UDD  DISPLAY INSTRUMENT DRIVER INFO ENHANCED (MULTI COLOR GRAPHIC)

UHS DISPLAY INSTRUMENT DRIVER INFO ENHANCED (MULTI COLOR ENHANCED GRAPHIC )

The GM engineer went on to say that there is no way to predict which was used when, and there is no upgrade path from UDD to UHS, apparently there are harness and hardware differences more than just the dash cluster.  You can't order specifically 1 vs the other - you get whichever is available in the line on build day, and the trim package ordered (AT4/Denali, LTZ/High Country) does not trigger a particular RPO.

So, if you want to make sure you have the enhanced display, confirm your build sheet has UHS listed in the RPO List.

If I had known this before I took delivery of my Truck i would have looked harder at the Head Up Display and confirmed the RPO Code.

I'm somewhat disappointed in this news, I bought what I thought was the top optioned High Country and that was not what I got.  I have not decided if I want to pursue the conversation with GM to confirm there is indeed no upgrade path that might be available.

Not to throw a wrench in this, but something is not right.

UHS is actually listed as the 8” DIC on my build sheet. My HUD RPO is UV6. See attached.

No radio data up there for what it’s worth.

B268AEEF-EDE8-44BC-8104-AD541983966A.thumb.png.d8ae65a1fb04fb64f400fe59cd235e61.png

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Are we sure UHS and UDD aren’t just the RPOs for the gauge cluster, not the HUD? 

On The Reel,

I see what you are getting at.  My mistake here is that I took the GM Engineer word for gospel.  I went back and look at my build sheet, and, I have both UHS and UDD listed for my non-radio displaying display.  

To clarify, do you have the radio info on your display?

Back to GM on Monday for more clarification!!

2 minutes ago, bwoodsmn said:

On The Reel,

I see what you are getting at.  My mistake here is that I took the GM Engineer word for gospel.  I went back and look at my build sheet, and, I have both UHS and UDD listed for my non-radio displaying display.  

I do not have the radio info on my UV6 HUD. Think we are in the same boat. My build date was mid-October 2018 if it helps.

Looking at the order guide:  https://www.autopartners.net/apps/eogld/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2019&regionID=1&divisionID=1&type=0&vehicleID=21483&section=oi_def&page=3&butID=3

UDD:  Driver Information Center, 4.2" diagonal color display, includes driver personalization.  This is the small full feature DIC in the instrument cluster.

UHS:  Driver Information Center, enhanced, 8" diagonal multicolor digital display, includes analog speedometer and tachometer gauges
1 - Included and only available with (CWM) Technology Package. Not available with (UVI) Trailer Camera Package.  This the 8" full feature instrument cluster.  Often referred to on K2 trucks as the "Denali" cluster.  Has the big center cluster display, with two offset analog gauges (speed and tach).  All other gauges are digitally displayed. 

UV6 is HUD.  UDD and UHS are the cluster displays only.  Order guide shows UHS cluster as standard equipment on High Country, and UV6 as an available option on High Country that is packaged in CWM Tech Package:  

CWM-Technology Package, includes (UV2) HD Surround Vision, (DRZ) Rear Camera Mirror, full display and (UV6) 15" Diagonal Head-Up Display 

UDD cluster:

Image result for 2019 silverado lt cluster

UHS Cluster:

Image result for 2019 silverado LTZ cluster

Edited by newdude

25 minutes ago, newdude said:

Looking at the order guide:  https://www.autopartners.net/apps/eogld/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2019&regionID=1&divisionID=1&type=0&vehicleID=21483&section=oi_def&page=3&butID=3

UDD:  Driver Information Center, 4.2" diagonal color display, includes driver personalization.  This is the small full feature DIC in the instrument cluster.

UHS:  Driver Information Center, enhanced, 8" diagonal multicolor digital display, includes analog speedometer and tachometer gauges
1 - Included and only available with (CWM) Technology Package. Not available with (UVI) Trailer Camera Package.  This the 8" full feature instrument cluster.  Often referred to on K2 trucks as the "Denali" cluster.  Has the big center cluster display, with two offset analog gauges (speed and tach).  All other gauges are digitally displayed. 

UV6 is HUD.  UDD and UHS are the cluster displays only.  Order guide shows UHS cluster as standard equipment on High Country, and UV6 as an available option on High Country that is packaged in CWM Tech Package:  

CWM-Technology Package, includes (UV2) HD Surround Vision, (DRZ) Rear Camera Mirror, full display and (UV6) 15" Diagonal Head-Up Display 

UDD cluster:

Image result for 2019 silverado lt cluster

UHS Cluster:

Image result for 2019 silverado LTZ cluster

Not disagreeing with anything in your post - but bear in mind that what seems to be the issue is that some UHS cluster equipped trucks display enhanced info in the HUD, and some don't.  Nothing in the order guide points to that difference.

26 minutes ago, bwoodsmn said:

Not disagreeing with anything in your post - but bear in mind that what seems to be the issue is that some UHS cluster equipped trucks display enhanced info in the HUD, and some don't.  Nothing in the order guide points to that difference.

On your truck then...do you have the UHS cluster with UV6 HUD? 

18 minutes ago, newdude said:

On your truck then...do you have the UHS cluster with UV6 HUD? 

Since UHS is standard on HC and included with the tech package on LTZ, there is no way to have HUD without the UHS cluster.

50 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Since UHS is standard on HC and included with the tech package on LTZ, there is no way to have HUD without the UHS cluster.

OP said he had both UDD and UHS on his truck above? :dunno:   Which makes no sense....

2 hours ago, bwoodsmn said:

On The Reel,

Edited by newdude

2 minutes ago, newdude said:

OP said he had both UDD and UHS on his truck above? :dunno:   Which makes no sense....

I see, yeah, that doesn’t seem right. Should be one or the other, and having HUD would give it the UHS cluster by default. Double checked my sheet and there’s no UDD on it.

OP.  This is from a truck on the lot.  LTZ with the CWM Tech Package which gets the UHS cluster (standard on HC), and has UV6 heads up display.

The truck:  https://www.cnchevy.com/f_WindowSticker?VIN=1GCUYGEL1KZ302269&cs:o=%window_sticker%&cs:o=%27WindowSticker%27

Build date was 3-25-19.  The only way I saw just quickly to get the radio station to display, was to tune stations with the steering wheel controls, NOT from the radio control on the dash.  I didn't see a way to display the radio station and info at the same time however.  The station only appeared for about 5-10 seconds then disappeared.   

HUD display:

IMG_5256.jpg

IMG_5262.jpg

IMG_5268.jpg

IMG_5277.jpg

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

I’m wondering if the GM engineer didn’t give you at least a half truth...two different suppliers of the HUD does seem likely at this point. We’ve had trucks built earlier than mine (like eppieguy’s IIRC) with the radio up there, and then the one @newdude posted which is much later build and has it. 

13 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

I’m wondering if the GM engineer didn’t give you at least a half truth...two different suppliers of the HUD does seem likely at this point. We’ve had trucks built earlier than mine (like eppieguy’s IIRC) with the radio up there, and then the one @newdude posted which is much later build and has it. 

The radio station DID disappear after tuning.  Stayed on for only 10 seconds or so. 

I only show one part # as well for the HUD, 84395830, with no supersessions/old numbers.  Fits 2019-2020.  Typically is there is a supplier or design change, there would be a number change. 

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1