In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
outbackpaul

What parts are leather

I have a 2018 GMC Sierra and it has the SLT Crew Cab Premium Plus package.

I assume all seating surfaces are leather but what other parts are leather?  If the front part of the dash leather?  Any parts of the door?

I can't find exactly what's supposed to be leather.

I'm just trying to clean my truck right and condition the leather.

Thank you!

If you have the truck shouldn’t you be able to see what’s leather? 

3 minutes ago, CombsL83 said:

If you have the truck shouldn’t you be able to see what’s leather? 

I think I know but wanted another opinion.  Isn't soft touch vinyl similar?  They do some crazy imitations nowadays.

I’m pretty sure they don’t use vinyl on the upper trim levels. Not sure if the storage console and doors on my LT are vinyl or leather come to think about it. But I use leather cleaner on it regardless.

7 minutes ago, CombsL83 said:

I’m pretty sure they don’t use vinyl on the upper trim levels. Not sure if the storage console and doors on my LT are vinyl or leather come to think about it. But I use leather cleaner on it regardless.

I think the front part of my dash is leather and the center console.  I'm not sure about the door.  Many different surfaces on the door.

IMO  leather "treatment"  is unnecessary.  I keep my interior clean with a vacuum and damp cloth.    I know these interiors are referred to as leather but they wear and feel like vinyl. My truck carries kids, adults and pets and after almost 4 years the interior cleans up like new. Treatment won't harm the material but will definitely be a waste if used anywhere but on the front seat surfaces.  The sides or seat backs will not have the "leather" product. (I believe I read that the rear seat is void of any leather byproduct but not certain) 

• Like 1

Donstar is right , but I like the leather scent. So I use leather conditioner on all the soft surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the dash is not leather it is just make to look like it.

3 minutes ago, djw88 said:

the dash is not leather it is just make to look like it.

See, I thought it was leather.  It has the same white stitching as the seat leather.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, outbackpaul said:

See, I thought it was leather.  It has the same white stitching as the seat leather.

Thanks

yeah they did a good job at it. it looks good but yes not leather

6 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

You can't hurt vinyl by putting leather conditioner on it

Thanks, yeah, I had seen that in another thread.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:41 AM, outbackpaul said:

I have a 2018 GMC Sierra and it has the SLT Crew Cab Premium Plus package.

I assume all seating surfaces are leather but what other parts are leather?  If the front part of the dash leather?  Any parts of the door?

I can't find exactly what's supposed to be leather.

I'm just trying to clean my truck right and condition the leather.

Thank you!

Only leather in the truck are the actual seating surfaces on the seats.

Side and back of seats are vinyl, and if it followed suit with prior years, the rear seats are also vinyl.

Not sure if any trucks get leather door or dash inserts.

I believe only the seating surface is leather on the seats and the bolsters and everything else is vinyl. I think many vehicles these days with leather are that way. I am pretty sure arm rests, dash and other trim pieces aren't leather outside of the steering wheel and maybe gear selector. There isn't as much leather as you think in the vehicle. It isn't a German luxury sedan where it is all high-end leather regardless of what you touch. That is part of the reason I am not a fan of leather in most vehicles, outside of a nice higher level luxury sedan it is a mix of fake pleather and lower end leather. I will take cloth any day of the week over leather in most cases. 

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970

12 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Only leather in the truck are the actual seating surfaces on the seats.

Side and back of seats are vinyl, and if it followed suit with prior years, the rear seats are also vinyl.

Not sure if any trucks get leather door or dash inserts.

9 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

I believe only the seating surface is leather on the seats and the bolsters and everything else is vinyl. I think many vehicles these days with leather are that way. I am pretty sure arm rests, dash and other trim pieces aren't leather outside of the steering wheel and maybe gear selector. There isn't as much leather as you think in the vehicle. It isn't a German luxury sedan where it is all high-end leather regardless of what you touch. That is part of the reason I am not a fan of leather in most vehicles, outside of a nice higher level luxury sedan it is a mix of fake pleather and lower end leather. I will take cloth any day of the week over leather in most cases. 

Tyler

Thanks guys!

Finally got an answer to the question instead of people telling me how I should clean my truck.