Squeaky belt or pulley on 6.2 HC

My 19 HC with the 6.2 / 10 speed is driving me crazy with a squeaky belt or pulley. It is very pronounced on a cold start at idle but goes away in about 10 seconds. From cold start through engine at full operating temp you can hear the squeak while driving at 1100-1800 rpm but only while the engine is under a light load. It is going in to the dealer tomorrow, I will post with what they found. Just for reference is was built in January 2019 in Indiana.

Edited by BeardBros

3 hours ago, BeardBros said:

My 19 HC with the 6.2 / 10 speed is driving me crazy with a squeaky belt or pulley. It is very pronounced on a cold start at idle but goes away in about 10 seconds. From cold start through engine at full operating temp you can hear the squeak while driving at 1100-1800 rpm but only while the engine is under a light load. It is going in to the dealer tomorrow, I will post with what they found. Just for reference is was built in January 2019 in Indiana.

Could be a harmonic balancer issue. With the motor running look at the balancer for movement. 

On 6/24/2019 at 10:46 AM, ILSilverado said:

Could be a harmonic balancer issue. With the motor running look at the balancer for movement. 

It's under warranty, so I just dropped it off at the dealer and told them to fix it.

Dealer is still working on finding the source of the squeaking. The squeak on mine is so loud that I can hear it at highway speeds with the windows up. It occurs between 1100-1800 rpm under light throttle at any speed. No way can I stand to have my new $65K truck with 5000 miles on it sound like my neighbors 1985 beater F150! I told the dealer to keep it until it is fixed.

Edited by BeardBros

I think I have the same thing on my 2019 HC.  I was actually coming on the forum to see if it was just me.  At first I was thinking ping (bad gas and like what you said about light load) but i have heard pings before (other vehicles) and it wasn’t really that but I tried different gas anyway just to see.

It sounds like maybe some baby birds faintly squeaking here and there but isn't constant.  By not constant I mean I hear it every time I drive but only here and there under load.  It can be first thing in the morning, cold, hot, afternoon, highway, etc.  I think most people wouldn’t notice it much but I do. 

I have the exact same noise, belt/pulley noise that is present after I cold start.  It's there for 30 seconds and disappears.....it's driving me nuts.  i took it to the dealership last week and they could not duplicate the noise, hopefully this will get figured out.  My nearest dealer is an hour away so its a pain to get it over there and wait.

My squeak is not come and go, I can reproduce it on demand and showed the dealer. As my mileage increased, so did the loudness of the squeak. Since I am in farm country, 80% of my dealers business is trucks, so they know what they are doing on these Silverados and Sierras. I am confident they will find the source of the issue. They gave me a 2019 Xcab Z71 LTZ to drive around in until my HC is fixed.

Edited by BeardBros

I’ve got a 6.2 hc with same issue on startup and cruising at same rpm range. Dealer said they didn’t hear or couldn’t replicate sound. Let us know if anyone finds a solution. 

Sounds like a pulley or even a small exhaust leak on passenger side of engine

I talked to the guys at the dealer yesterday and they are able to reproduce the squeak and are working on a solution with GM. They seem to think the squeak is coming from the exhaust system. They took multiple new trucks off the lot, 6.2 and 5.3 engine with 6 and 10 speeds,  and tested them to see if they could hear the noise and it is present in most of them but very slight. That is how mine was, very slight squeak when new but now that I have almost 6K miles on it the squeak keeps getting louder. Maybe I will have to put long tube headers and straight pipes on it, then I will not hear that squeak for sure!

Hoping a solution is found... the 6.2 qand 10 speed is an awesome combo.  The squeak is mild, but not the typical type of noise id say is acceptable. 

Im having a cat back installed next week, ill see if the dealer can take a second look. 

From what i could tell, it was exclusive to the passenger side, and seemed to be coming from either the exhaust manifold or potentially the o2 sensor just down from it. Could even be a heat shield thats rubbing when the engine is at the right rpm range causing a vibration.

Troubleshooting shouldnt be too hard, but i was by myself. Need to jump the rpms to the 1200 range once warmed up.

Just an update on mine....we are pulling the travel trailer on a trip and it seems like its getting louder when we cold start and I can hear it now on the highway between 1000-2000 rpms.  6,2 10 speed also. It sounds like we have the identical problem.  Once its warmed up I can hold the brake while in gear and get it to squeak.  

On another note we are pulling around 7000 lbs and it has exceeded my expectations...we have pulled some good grades getting into Oregon.  My last truck was the LMM d-max so i was concerned about going back to the gas motor but I am impressed with the 10 speed and power.

10.8 avg MPG

• Like 1