Squeaky belt or pulley on 6.2 HC

I talked to the dealer today and they said GM is aware of the issue and the GM engineers are working on it. The Master Tech at the dealer is working on finding out what is causing the noise. He is able to reproduce the squeak and will let me know when he figures it out. So until then I will just have to wait. :(

It will be interesting to see what the solution is. Not the end of the world, but irritating on an otherwise perfect truck.

I did use the squeak as an excuse to put on a cat back. Still hear the squeak, but now there is a good throaty exhaust behind it. 

I got 6.2 Sierra have the same noise st startup 20-30 seconds. My dealership told me it’s the HPFP  high-pressure fuel pump auto checking itself at start up. Sounds like BS but what do I know. I had 5 BMW 2 Audi  and the multiple loaner vehicles  when they were at the dealership for service . All direct injection vehicles require  high pressure fuel pump but non ever made noise they failed but never made this annoying noise. $70k truck and it squeals like a little pig shame on you GM.  I’ll try a different dealer if someone comes up with something else please post. 

My Sierra 1500 Denali has done it on start up since I bought it - thought it was just a belt or something.  This morning on my way to work at just shy of 650 miles on the truck, it did it every time the engine was under load (not coasting downhill, etc.) at all speeds except maybe below 30mph.  Sounds like a chimney full of baby birds - just maddening to me.

NOT a happy customer right now.  Driver's seat ventilation fan is also squealing.  I should just load the cab with about 10 cages full of small birds - would be about the same quality of cab noise.

This is ridiculous.  First the K2XX 5.3L and it's clunky-a$$ed herky jerky transmission and now this.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:45 AM, BeardBros said:

7/11/19. Still at the dealer. They are communicating with GM engineers about a possible solution. 

Thank you for the update please let us know how you make out. I will be bringing my 6.2 Denali in for high speed vibration and this noise again. I was told the first time at 2000 miles they can’t even look for the vibration as per GM will not cover cost until at least 3000 miles I’m 500 miles away and back to GMC dealership hope it’s a simple tire or rim. But they would not even wright it on the service ticket until 3000 miles talked to the service manager and was told that is GM policy.

My 2008 LMM was perfect I miss that damn thing.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:14 PM, VGZPRT said:

I was told the first time at 2000 miles they can’t even look for the vibration as per GM will not cover cost until at least 3000 miles I’m 500 miles away and back to GMC dealership hope it’s a simple tire or rim. But they would not even wright it on the service ticket until 3000 miles talked to the service manager and was told that is GM policy.

That just doesn't sound right at all.  Vibrations could be due to bad tires or loss of torque on lug nuts or any number of things tire/wheel related.  If those are the areas where the problem actually is at, they don't tend to magically fix themselves the longer you drive the vehicle.  Point being is that could be an early indicator of worse or more dangerous things to come such as complete wheel separation.  I'd be calling another dealer and asking them if this policy holds water.

2 hours ago, Wheelguy said:

That just doesn't sound right at all.  Vibrations could be due to bad tires or loss of torque on lug nuts or any number of things tire/wheel related.  If those are the areas where the problem actually is at, they don't tend to magically fix themselves the longer you drive the vehicle.  Point being is that could be an early indicator of worse or more dangerous things to come such as complete wheel separation.  I'd be calling another dealer and asking them if this policy holds water.

I agree I did call a different dealership and explained my situation and was denied service. They said they can’t get in the middle of another dealership when they are working on the issue. I explained that the other dealership did not put it on the ticket and nothing is on file. No difference they would not touch it. So I called GM and after a few days got a call from a senior advisor and she confirmed that GM policy is 3k miles before vibration issues will be pursued so I said ok give me back my money and I’ll start incremental payments on the truck than when it’s all good I’ll start making full payments. 

Im not happy but can’t do much of anything other than drive and wait. I did check the tires and wheel lugs along with suspension and drive line for any  obvious problems. Got nothing. 

Yeah, that will be their "policy" until a wheel flies off or a blowout causes a wreck and someone is seriously injured or dies. I warrantied out 3 tires on my 2016 before 2500 miles due to belts being jacked up and causing vibrations. Must have cut yet another corner.

Mine did not have any vibration at any speed. I only had the squeaking issue. I have been on vacation and will be home tomorrow so when the dealer opens in the morning I will find out what the status of my truck is, what they have found out and hopefully a fix!

So as of today the dealership will have my truck for 4 weeks. They have ordered a part which is supposed to fix the issue. Now we are waiting for parts and will hopefully be back on the road soon. I will post a full service report after I get my truck back.

3 hours ago, BeardBros said:

So as of today the dealership will have my truck for 4 weeks. They have ordered a part which is supposed to fix the issue. Now we are waiting for parts and will hopefully be back on the road soon. I will post a full service report after I get my truck back.

Can you at least narrow down where they're looking?  I've got my truck in the shop right now for a similar noise and the shop manager couldn't hear the noise out on the road (go figure, just my luck - tells me his hearing isn't the best.  Bet their body guy would have had bad sight had it been something visual) and I'd like to be able to point them in the right direction at least (DFM, transmission, other).  Just don't want to go in to pick it up and have to turn around and go back again if at all possible.

Thanks a bunch for all the info and keeping us updated!

22 minutes ago, Wheelguy said:

Can you at least narrow down where they're looking?  I've got my truck in the shop right now for a similar noise and the shop manager couldn't hear the noise out on the road (go figure, just my luck - tells me his hearing isn't the best.  Bet their body guy would have had bad sight had it been something visual) and I'd like to be able to point them in the right direction at least (DFM, transmission, other).  Just don't want to go in to pick it up and have to turn around and go back again if at all possible.

Thanks a bunch for all the info and keeping us updated!

They said it was something on the 10 speed transmission.