My cold start knock/tick issues continues "no repair available"

• 2 weeks later...

My 2015 5.3L slowly started making a similar ticking sound. You could hear it immediately on start up and then it would slowly go away once the vehicle warmed up (10-15 mins). Took it into the dealership and they told me lifters and cam need replacing. Its currently under warranty for another 16 months thankfully. I am worried about what the future has in store for this motor. Getting a tune with AFM delete seems to be a beneficial option moving forward. I have to do more research... Only 69,000km and I am experiencing this. I drive my truck nice and easy like an old man too! 

2 hours ago, Melks said:

My 2015 5.3L slowly started making a similar ticking sound. You could hear it immediately on start up and then it would slowly go away once the vehicle warmed up (10-15 mins). Took it into the dealership and they told me lifters and cam need replacing. Its currently under warranty for another 16 months thankfully. I am worried about what the future has in store for this motor. Getting a tune with AFM delete seems to be a beneficial option moving forward. I have to do more research... Only 69,000km and I am experiencing this. I drive my truck nice and easy like an old man too! 

did you listen to the whole video?. My truck sounds fine the first 20ish seconds of startup. This noise starts after the RPMS drop to normal idle. I bought the truck with 150 miles on it and its been doing it since. 

• 1 month later...

2019 Custom Trail Boss 5.3 AFM  3125mi 99hrs. Same problem here, knock on cold start after high idle goes down to normal idle rpm. Not wasting time taking to dealer until there is a fix or it blows up. Very very disappointing.

I'm new to the forum here is a link to a video on google drive. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-F78kbKOloomcOzkAYiSG5A98tQiijCP/view?usp=sharing

10 hours ago, Rail Boss said:

2019 Custom Trail Boss 5.3 AFM  3125mi 99hrs. Same problem here, knock on cold start after high idle goes down to normal idle rpm. Not wasting time taking to dealer until there is a fix or it blows up. Very very disappointing.

I'm new to the forum here is a link to a video on google drive. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-F78kbKOloomcOzkAYiSG5A98tQiijCP/view?usp=sharing

Sounds identical to mine. Just like mine, the noise will fade for a while after an oil change. 

Are you just going to ride it out until there is a fix? I don't have much faith considering the bulletin has been out for almost a year. I don't think they plan on fixing it anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, ct_corey said:

Sounds identical to mine. Just like mine, the noise will fade for a while after an oil change. 

Are you just going to ride it out until there is a fix? I don't have much faith considering the bulletin has been out for almost a year. I don't think they plan on fixing it anytime soon. 

These engines both the 6.2 and 5.3 sound like a box of rocks at idle imo, nothing new my 14 6.2 does the same thing. Personally i really don't want to allow a gm tech at a dealer to crack open my engine unless it is no doubt gone or in trouble! I will say while driving though she revs fine and sounds great in the upper rpm range. 

12 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

These engines both the 6.2 and 5.3 sound like a box of rocks at idle imo, nothing new my 14 6.2 does the same thing. Personally i really don't want to allow a gm tech at a dealer to crack open my engine unless it is no doubt gone or in trouble! I will say while driving though she revs fine and sounds great in the upper rpm range. 

Did you watch our videos? The loud rapping noise is what we are talking about. 

5 minutes ago, ct_corey said:

Did you watch our videos? The loud rapping noise is what we are talking about. 

Yes the random tapping noise is what you are talking about right?

My 14 6.2 has the same random occasional tap noise at idle.

Not to discount your concern. I’ve owned lots of small blocks. GMs seemed to be noisy. My latest of 8 years sounds like marbles rolling around in the top end. Get it serviced at your GM dealer and have them make a note of the noise each time. If it fails they should back you up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

Yes the random tapping noise is what you are talking about right?

My 14 6.2 has the same random occasional tap noise at idle.

Way different then ours. Have you watched the videos? it happens dozens of times after the RPS drop and lasts a few minutes. Its raps so loud I can hear it in my kitchen while my truck warms up. 

I don't think we are talking about the same noise.