2012 Sierra low oil level

Check engine light came on today.  Ran codes and low oil pressure code came up.  Was low on oil and added about 3 quarts.  Low oil level warning never came on.  Now at home and not sure what else i need to look into as causes.  Last oil change was almost 5k ago.  Has 120k miles but new engine installed about 40k miles ago due to #3 cam bearing spun in bore and began working itself out.   Now seems to be running fine and oil pressure is now holding at just below 40.  Seems like a lot of oil to lose since last oil change about 4800 miles ago.  Hoping that this new engine isnt getting ready to die on me.

Edited by sierra5454
  • Sad 1

There is no oil level sensor in that vehicle, that's why you see no light on the dash.

Can't tell you how many dipsticks I've pulled in the past with nothing on them. Talk with the customer and they always say they never check it..... well maybe they should lol.

The cause is pretty simple, it's eating the oil. Just like they all do. Doesn't matter that it's a low mile engine, it's going to burn it no matter what in some cases. The AFM/DoD function is a known oil burning issue. Either check your oil more often, do shorter oil change intervals or disable the AFM/DoD system completely and watch your oil level. I can bet it burns next to none if the system is disabled.

Another example here. My parents and I both owned 2012 5.3 trucks. Theirs was really low miles when they bought it, around 24,000 miles give or take, I bought mine with 94,000 miles as a one owner higher mileage trade that was a good deal at the time. I disabled my AFM/DoD system within a few days, theirs was left completely stock. At around 45k miles oil consumption started getting higher and fowled the #7 spark plug. Probably ate 1.5-2 quarts per oil change and we did around 4-5k miles on oil changes. My truck never showed a loss in oil all the way up to 110,000 miles when I traded it in.

Edited by CamGTP
  • Thanks 1

Please explain why you didn't check your oil.

Never mind any reason makes no sense to me.

My 2012 that is either driven in manual to stop AFM activation or has a Range device to disable AFM uses a little oil in between oil changes.

I do 3 K mile oil changes.

And switching from a Dexos semi-synthetic(Quaker State) to a full  synthetic(Castrol GTX Magnatec) has cut oil usage in half.

Truck was bought used with 41 K miles.

Now under 69 K miles.

:)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sierra5454 said:

Hoping that this new engine isnt getting ready to die on me.

What year is this new engine?  Over the course of several months in 2011, GM released updated components for the AFM system that greatly increased its reliability and decreased oil consumption.  It's been my observation that those who regularly spin their motors up past 3000-3500 rpms also see increased oil consumption.  

Gotta check that oil, regularly.  We had a Pontiac that would suddenly consume nearly all of its oil once every couple of years, no rhyme or reason for it.  Didn't use oil between oil changes either.  All the ring ends must've lined up!

There's a reason why the GM owner's manual says to check the oil at every fuel stop.  And a reason why the General changed from a 6-quart to an 8-quart oilpan on these in 2014.  As said here, GMT900s do not apparently have any low oil warning light, or I would have seen it many times before I had the TSB performed.  The TSB was for the 2007-2010 models to install the valve cover with the revised PCV orifice and the oil deflector in the oilpan that were supposedly factory installed beginning in 2011.  Even on a new replacement engine, the main thing is to have the AFM function turned off as soon as possible and to use Dexos-rated oil.  Like has been said here, if you wait too long to turn AFM off, you may already have bad lifters and a pitted cam, or frozen oil control rings on the pistons with the ends lined up so the oil leaks past.  Not to mention oil-fouled spark plugs and messed up oxygen sensors and plugged catalytic converters.    

I have been way too complacent with checking oil levels.  

The engine was replaced in Feb 2016.  Since this time I have had to replace the #1 spark plug due to fouling probably about 1.5 years ago.  Since this time is has been running fine and no other codes have been thrown.  

I'm not sure if it's already too late for the AFM delete.  Also, I'm not too familiar with this option but will look into it further.  The engine is not ticking or knocking.   Not sure how to tell otherwise about the lifters/cam.   Any recommendations on AFM delete programs or should I wait and see how fast it's losing oi?

Thanks for the input. 

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

There's a reason why the GM owner's manual says to check the oil at every fuel stop.  And a reason why the General changed from a 6-quart to an 8-quart oilpan on these in 2014.  As said here, GMT900s do not apparently have any low oil warning light, or I would have seen it many times before I had the TSB performed.  The TSB was for the 2007-2010 models to install the valve cover with the revised PCV orifice and the oil deflector in the oilpan that were supposedly factory installed beginning in 2011.  Even on a new replacement engine, the main thing is to have the AFM function turned off as soon as possible and to use Dexos-rated oil.  Like has been said here, if you wait too long to turn AFM off, you may already have bad lifters and a pitted cam, or frozen oil control rings on the pistons with the ends lined up so the oil leaks past.  Not to mention oil-fouled spark plugs and messed up oxygen sensors and plugged catalytic converters.    

It is my understanding that they went to an 8qt sump due to fuel dilution that can occur with the new direct injection that came out at the same time.  I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

It is my understanding that they went to an 8qt sump due to fuel dilution that can occur with the new direct injection that came out at the same time.  I could be wrong though.

Dual-purpose, win-win.  Until you run 3 or more quarts low.  

• Like 2

On 6/26/2019 at 12:52 PM, sierra5454 said:

I have been way too complacent with checking oil levels.  

The engine was replaced in Feb 2016.  Since this time I have had to replace the #1 spark plug due to fouling probably about 1.5 years ago.  Since this time is has been running fine and no other codes have been thrown.  

I'm not sure if it's already too late for the AFM delete.  Also, I'm not too familiar with this option but will look into it further.  The engine is not ticking or knocking.   Not sure how to tell otherwise about the lifters/cam.   Any recommendations on AFM delete programs or should I wait and see how fast it's losing oi?

Thanks for the input. 

It's never too late to physically delete AFM on a healthy engine.  Mine has all the latest parts and ran perfectly but to ensure longevity, had it tuned by BlackBear Performance and turned off.  The motor runs great, gets better mileage and the best part IMO, is the performance of the transmission.  Money well spent!

• Like 1