What type of hitch is this?

Clearing out the in-laws place.  Father passed and mother is with Alzheimer’s so time to sell the house.  I came across this hitch and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it is.  What is the purpose of the small ball?

16CA3C65-C1D3-4A5E-9F51-741910C9C568.jpeg

Looks like a custom job to me, with the back-plate, even the trailer ball appears to be welded to the ball mount although with less weld than the smaller/auxiliary ball. The welded areas have taken less rust than the original parts.

Probably should just leave it out for the metal scrapper.  Doesn't seem like something anyone would want or anything I could trust to give to someone.  Father in law was known to "rig" things. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've seen a couple of these over the years and have been told they were an early attempt at a WDH designed by "Uhaul". I cannot and will not swear they are responsible for it, but I have seen at least one with a 2 1/8" ball welded on it. That size ball was a special ball size used by "Uhaul" for a while as I understand to prevent them 'walking' away. Again, I can't swear to that, but I have no other answer as to where those odd ball 2 1/8" balls originated.

In complete honesty, I owned one just like it for many years (but without the little friction control ball on the side) and actually gave it away about 6 months ago. It's a perfectly fine and adequate WDH if the ball height matches your load coupler's height. I used it primarily as a simple HD ball mount when I didn't really need a WDH. Have no idea what the spring bars were rated at.

To the OP ........ if you find the spring bars with it, I would advise you hang on to it. It's not truly an antique or anything, but it will provide you with a super duty straight ball mount/hitch, and if need be can be used to use as a WDH if ball height and coupler height are close (we'll say within an inch high or low). Oh yeh, I'd advise measuring that ball to ensure it's not a 2 1/8".

Regards,

Joe

Edited by jumpinjoe
poor formatting