Is there a difference between Top Tier gas stations?

52 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

You can very likely add that capability to your truck depending on the year and engine.  Lots of threads around here on how to do it.

Yeah I’ve read some of the write ups and considered it but I’ll probably wait until the warranty is up and the truck is paid for before I start tinkering.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 2:08 PM, madsen203 said:

My suggestion is go to a high volume station. I prefer Costco--it's a top tier fuel and guarantee to be fresh fuel in their tanks. Also, likely the most newest underground tanks vs. a local station. High volume sales makes more of an impact than the specific detergent package. 

Lastly, the top tier "brand" is sold to those stations who meet a certain spec of detergent. Basically, if they pay for the title, meet the baseline detergent requirements, they are top tier. 

Unfortunately I don’t have a Cosco, only Sam’s club which isn’t rated top tier gas but is always really busy due to having the lowest price gas in town. I was feeling at Chevron or shell but there is a $.40-$.50 difference per gallon between regular 87 octane and high octane 91. 91 is the highest octane available at altitude above 6000 feet. 

Do extra detergents even matter in direct injected engines since the valves are not getting cleaned anyway like Port injection?

I guess keeping the injectors clean?

Edited by 2018GMC

8 minutes ago, 2018GMC said:

Do you extra detergents even matter in direct injected engines since the valves are not getting cleaned anyway like Port injection?

I guess keeping the injector clean?

I'm going to show my age. Detergents were not introduced to gasoline to keep valves clean. It was to keep the combustion chamber clean. This prevented the every ten thousand mile 'decoke'. Yea, pull the heads and manually clean the heads and piston tops. Valve cleaning was added with the PVC system. Before that when draft tubes ruled valves didn't get hammered by coke unless yo had a really bad valve umbrella. So yes, detergents matter even in DGI ICE's.  

• Like 2

Still, with something like the 2.4L LEA DGI engine in my wife's Equinox, I just do a CRC Intake and Intake Valve cleaner (PEA) job on the engine every 10,000 miles. I would do the same with any of the DGI engines in the current crop of GM pickups also.  Wouldn't matter if using top tier fuel or not.  That will also take care of any deposits on piston tops.  Top Tier is not going to help a bit in regards to intake valves on a DGI engine.  One advantage is that one can put a catch can on the pickup motors to help mitigate some of the valve deposit issues.  Not an option for the 2.4L LEA.  The PCV port is integral to the head, direct into the intake manifold.  Crappy design.  

Edited by Cowpie

• 2 months later...

Speedway recently bought up all the ConocoPhillips stations in my area. I’ve been filling there since they now have the lowest prices in town besides Maverick and sams. Vp racing stations have been popping up as well...

Edited by 2018GMC

I used to fill up super unleaded every couple days at the same shell station for years, later saw it on the news. Apparently, it along with others were busted for having dirt and traces of water in their fuel tanks which resulted in many customers visiting their local repair shops due to signs of tune ups needed. I’ve been going to my local Kroger fuel stations for years, zero issues and ALWAYS running strong but I also add Lucas Fuel Treatment every tank and sometimes every other Full tank.

Sent from Above