2019 Sierra 1500 Denali Trailer Lighting Voltage Issue

Took brand new 1500 Denali to RV dealer to pick up new trailer with side and rear camera system.  Grand Design trailer camera power source runs off trailer running lights.  Cameras are not getting 12 volts and dealer is saying truck is not sending 12 volts through the factory trailer light connection.

Anyone hear of this problem?

I was not able to bring trailer home.  I did probe the trailer light socket on the truck.  I was getting very low fluctuating voltage readings.  I can not say for sure but I suspect that is a function of the trailer connection sensing  technology.  Also disconnected the wiring socket on the back and probed there.  Same result.

Edited by Rob P

I also have a Grand Design Imagine trailer and cannot get the rear camera to work. There is another thread where several others are complaining of the same problem with the new trucks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I can't thank you enough.  This forum identified the problem spot on.  GM missed the mark with the trailer light sensing "feature".  The only question now is, will they fix it?

Check it out with your service department. There is at least one bulletin out to "reflash" the trailer lighting control module. I believe this also helps with the "trailer connected" and " trailer disconnected" issues.

Just picked  up my new Airstream and dealer added a relay to the trailer circuit. Says they do it all the time for BMWs etc. Solved the back up camera power issue. Do get an error for trailer lights but it’s just the detection circuit that was bypassed. Everything works fine including the camera. 

Update: After a disconnect reconnect we did not get the error. But you do need to power running lights for the back up trailer camera to get power

Edited by Jon D

Just picked  up my new Airstream and dealer added a relay to the trailer circuit. Says they do it all the time for BMWs etc. Solved the back up camera power issue. Do get an error for trailer lights but it’s just the detection circuit that was bypassed. Everything works fine including the camera. 

Well if I’m getting an error on my truck when nothing is wrong, then there is something wrong with the truck. Bypassing shit isn’t why I bought a brand new $50k truck..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk