Garage Door Torsion Spring Broke - Professional or DIY?

Well one of my garage door torsion springs snapped.  Man that door is heavy as hell to get open!

Anyone have any comments on whether this is DIY or have a pro fix it?  I'm leaning towards pro, partially for the reason I'd like to have someone do a general tune up on it as well.  Ever since I moved into this house a couple years ago the garage door has always been making some creaking and somewhat harsh noises as it opens - almost like its getting hung up a bit at certain spots.   I don't really know anything about garage doors!

Feeling bad for my neighbor already... cold starting with the Venom 250 muffler at 6:45am isn't the quietest thing in the world lol... usually remote start with door shut (detached garage) then 30 sec - 1 min later I open it and walk on out to leave.  I was thinking I could manually lift the door in the mornings but like I said it's heavy and if I split or  get a bad grip - its a loud bang when it hits the ground lol.

Call a pro, it's easy to get hurt working on those things.. My grandfather lived 2/3 of his life with a partially crippled hand due to a garage door spring installation gone bad...

• Thanks 1

I've done it for my garage 10' high x 14' wide door, as well as replaced the center rod and one of the cables.  It's straightforward if you pay attention and get both sides to have equal tension.

But, if you want someone to check out your door to make it work better, you might as well get them to replace the spring at the same time.

And if you just have one spring, that pulls up on both sides of the door, then it's not a problem to manually open/close the door, besides it being heavy.  But, if you have a bigger door that has a separate spring for each side, you can cause problems with the door, particularly when it's down, as a lot of tension is applied to one side of the door, and none on the other side.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Call a pro, it's easy to get hurt working on those things.. My grandfather lived 2/3 of his life with a partially crippled hand due to a garage door spring installation gone bad...

7 hours ago, davester said:

I've done it for my garage 10' high x 14' wide door, as well as replaced the center rod and one of the cables.  It's straightforward if you pay attention and get both sides to have equal tension.

But, if you want someone to check out your door to make it work better, you might as well get them to replace the spring at the same time.

And if you just have one spring, that pulls up on both sides of the door, then it's not a problem to manually open/close the door, besides it being heavy.  But, if you have a bigger door that has a separate spring for each side, you can cause problems with the door, particularly when it's down, as a lot of tension is applied to one side of the door, and none on the other side.

thanks both for your feedback.  I've decided to for sure just call someone.  Did some Google searching last night and found 2 companies in particular I'm going to give em a call today.

16 hours ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

thanks both for your feedback.  I've decided to for sure just call someone.  Did some Google searching last night and found 2 companies in particular I'm going to give em a call today.

Mine actually gave out a few months back, I can't remember exactly how much we paid but, it wasn't a whole lot, I want to say $150 total maybe???

• Thanks 1

PRO!
I had a neighbor when I was growing up who was a cop. He got shot on the job, long long story there, and lost an eye. He decided to work on his garage door. The damn spring popped and missed his good eye by half an inch! It’s worth paying someone for a job like that.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Mine actually gave out a few months back, I can't remember exactly how much we paid but, it wasn't a whole lot, I want to say $150 total maybe???

I paid $258 with tax.  They replaced both springs per their recommendation.  I literally called 7:05am Monday and they were like ok we'll have a guy there at 8:30am same day! Very happy with this business, no wonder they have a few 100 more reviews than any other local place by me, most of which are 5star.

He did a couple other little things like oil up components and made a slight adjustment to the opener motor as well. 

56 minutes ago, lew-e said:

PRO!
I had a neighbor when I was growing up who was a cop. He got shot on the job, long long story there, and lost an eye. He decided to work on his garage door. The damn spring popped and missed his good eye by half an inch! It’s worth paying someone for a job like that.

Yikes another horror story! Glad he didnt take out his good eye.  I went the Pro route as mentioned above.

Thanks again everyone for adovcating for the pros!

Edited by SkiDooNick700

1 hour ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

I paid $258 with tax.  They replaced both springs per their recommendation.  I literally called 7:05am Monday and they were like ok we'll have a guy there at 8:30am same day! Very happy with this business, no wonder they have a few 100 more reviews than any other local place by me, most of which are 5star.

He did a couple other little things like oil up components and made a slight adjustment to the opener motor as well. 

Yikes another horror story! Glad he didnt take out his good eye.  I went the Pro route as mentioned above.

Thanks again everyone for adovcating for the pros!

Ya know, now that you say $258 I think that we paid something close to that than $150... When you own a home your money disappears so easily and frequently that it's hard to remember what you pay for things lol.... Glad you got it done!