RAM sells more than Silverado for 2nd quarter

Article...

That didn't surprise me, but we must keep in mind there are people who buy disposable lighters and people who buy Zippo lighters to keep for a while.

RAM has continued with its aggressive strategy of offering huge incentives. CEO of RAM said, "It's all about the product and right now we have a great product." Not gonna lie, that got a chuckle out of me. If neither RAM nor Chevrolet offered incentives, I am pretty sure Silverado would have a better number than RAM.

I'm inclined to agree with Cain, Chevy's spokesman, who said, "RAM has done things with incentives that we would be insane to follow."

Even at $15,000 off MSRP, RAM remains profitable. That surprised me.

Well, GM has pretty much said they are happy to sell less, but make more on each so this is not surprising nor is it necessarily a problem. Doesn’t really make any difference to me personally. 

• Like 2

I've said this before, in order for GM to sell more vehicles they need to have a vehicle that is competitive with features people want. I don't feel that the new trucks do that. GM in a video even mentioned basically phoning it in on the interior (video should start 15:07 where the engineer mentions this).

The fact that the Ram is all new in every aspect is more appealing to a lot of buyers than what GM offers currently. Honestly, I couldn't even tell you what they updated besides styling and adding cameras, oh and rear a/c vents. Engines all have new technology but no noticeable improvements in fuel economy or power, tow capacity is relatively the same as any other brand. What exactly are you getting by buying GM? 

I say this as a person who has loved the GM brand for quite a long time but I'm not brand loyal. I just feel like with this round they went, "Well, it's good enough" and I think it shows.

• Like 3

2019 was a good year to compare sales. Ram and Chevy had new trucks. Chevy couldn’t even get enough products with the 6.2 or diesel i6. So now that both engines are offered into more trims the truck will sell more. How many people wait for those engines from Chevy to buy a truck? How many Ram sales were the same owners befor va new owners from a different brand. When Ford changes their body style the sales jumped too. Chevy fans are just smarter and decided to wait for the good stuff haha

Meh... I got my truck. GM will have more trims and options available later this year including the new HD T1s.

Whether this is the new normal or just a temporary shift, my thoughts are GM will creep back up top #2 or be a real close third.

I’ve had more GM trucks than Ram. They were cheaper at the time of purchase. I have family members and friends that have been repeat buyers of Rams. No problems, nothing falls off they all perform well. My brother in law just hit 100K on his black Ram. No noticeable bug marks on the front. All the washing is through a car wash. It still looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I considered Ram before I bought my Trail Boss but after reading all of the complaints on the Ram forums about A/C problems, truck won't start, squeaky brakes, leaking sunroofs, etc I decided to stay away. I think Fiats reliability issues may be rubbing off on Ram, take a look at the chart below. Ram and Fiat are at the bottom of the list.

F150 was not an option for me because I just don't like the styling.

I like the simplicity of the Chevy interior, the Ram interior is too busy and that 12" screen would drive me nuts.

5d1c0a2de0190_ramtrucksdepedabilitystudyoutline.png.582ee460336e5364d4bb827c94b05db9.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've said this before, in order for GM to sell more vehicles they need to have a vehicle that is competitive with features people want. I don't feel that the new trucks do that. GM in a video even mentioned basically phoning it in on the interior (video should start 15:07 where the engineer mentions this).

The fact that the Ram is all new in every aspect is more appealing to a lot of buyers than what GM offers currently. Honestly, I couldn't even tell you what they updated besides styling and adding cameras, oh and rear a/c vents. Engines all have new technology but no noticeable improvements in fuel economy or power, tow capacity is relatively the same as any other brand. What exactly are you getting by buying GM? 

I say this as a person who has loved the GM brand for quite a long time but I'm not brand loyal. I just feel like with this round they went, "Well, it's good enough" and I think it shows.

All new? Yah that new hemi and 8speed... Oh wait. That all new aluminum body!... Oh wait, nope. NHTSA might have something to say about ram quality to...

Ill take my 300 to 400lb weight savings, better mpgs (TFL proved that) and personally better styling. At the chevy looks different than the last model, the ram looks like a evolution not a revolution. IMO ofcourse

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Head of Ram Sales ran his mouth and said Ram Truck sales data is fake and has been for years. Corporate has Dealerships show vehicles sold that were never sold.

What he did hiding this, is Federal Prison time if the Securities and Exchange Commission prosecutes Wallstreet fraud.

He currently is trying to do a “Whistleblower” lawsuit because Fiat kept his pay and said they are going to use it for the fines.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28394/fca-exec-files-whistleblower-lawsuit-against-company-for-alleged-retaliation-report

He is going to jail.

Edited by Paintor
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, JR09country said:

All new? Yah that new hemi and 8speed... Oh wait. That all new aluminum body!... Oh wait, nope. NHTSA might have something to say about ram quality to...

Ill take my 300 to 400lb weight savings, better mpgs (TFL proved that) and personally better styling. At the chevy looks different than the last model, the ram looks like a evolution not a revolution. IMO ofcourse

Fair enough, either brand didn't do much to increase performance or torque from their engines. 

IMO the exterior of the new Silverado/Sierra twins is polarizing for most and I'm in the camp of I just don't like it. I've viewed it in person, sat in them, driven them but there is nothing about the truck that says, "I have to have it."  With this generation I really wished they would have really tried to make something really cool, phoning it in with the interior because it was "Good Enough" just doesn't sit well with me. Not to mention, I never really liked that interior in the 2014-2018 trucks either. I don't know if they need a new test group to give actual feedback or maybe GM got feedback and just decided not to implement, who knows.

I figured GM would have learned the last time they let a model run too long but I guess not, maybe we'll see a mid-cycle refresh for the interior like Ram did around 2014. 

With the cost of them, most of the time when I look at any of them and price them out, I nope out pretty quickly anyways.

I don't think the NHTSA does reliability ratings, safety ratings I do know they do. 

• Like 3

Fair enough, either brand didn't do much to increase performance or torque from their engines. 

IMO the exterior of the new Silverado/Sierra twins is polarizing for most and I'm in the camp of I just don't like it. I've viewed it in person, sat in them, driven them but there is nothing about the truck that says, "I have to have it."  With this generation I really wished they would have really tried to make something really cool, phoning it in with the interior because it was "Good Enough" just doesn't sit well with me. Not to mention, I never really liked that interior in the 2014-2018 trucks either. I don't know if they need a new test group to give actual feedback or maybe GM got feedback and just decided not to implement, who knows.

I figured GM would have learned the last time they let a model run too long but I guess not, maybe we'll see a mid-cycle refresh for the interior like Ram did around 2014. 

With the cost of them, most of the time when I look at any of them and price them out, I nope out pretty quickly anyways.

I don't think the NHTSA does reliability ratings, safety ratings I do know they do. 
I am just jaded because most of the articles i read just talk about the 12" screen and the interior. It is nice but its not everything to me but i get why people like it. I drove a new ram rebel before i got my TB and it drove well but the looks were just so bland to me.

The nhtsa issues recalls and judging by the amount of recalls the 19 ram has had and i lumped it in to poor reliability. I should have used a different term, maybe craftsmanship? I dunno.

Do the numbers include all car types in the mix?  Maybe I am biased but I would still buy a T1 over D or F if I had to do it over again!

• The first new GM models to launch were the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra crew cabs in late summer 2018. Sales of each were up more than 12 percent in the second quarter versus a year ago.
  • Customer demand for Chevrolet’s new Trail Boss models – the first full-size pickups equipped with a 2-inch factory-installed lifted suspension – have far exceeded expectations, so GM will double production. In addition, the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado1500 will offer Trail Boss models with a 420 horsepower, 6.2L V8 L87 engine.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/07/gm-sales-figures-numbers-results-united-states-second-quarter-q2/