In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Snow88

Towing with a 1500

1 hour ago, rkj__ said:

Get a tiny trailer!  I love the freedom of being able to drive / park almost anywhere while en route.  In my area, there is a lot of demand for campsites at our Provincial Parks.  The smaller your trailer, the more site options you have available to you. 

Ours isn't very "tiny" (21') but we certainly are comfortable and enjoy choices not available to the bigger units.  Our roughest nights usually mean we don't have good cable and have to watch Netflix.  

11 hours ago, SqueakyBoot said:

I've been researching travel trailers and 1/2 ton towing (through two different trucks) for about a year and a half now.  Sometimes I can be my own worst enemy and start researching too much.....

It seems, based on what I'm seeing (and what I plan to do with my travel trailer purchase), the max area where it's comfortable is around 6000-6500lb trailer.  There are obviously variables to this with your setup, gearing, etc.  I also plan to use a weight distribution hitch and LoadLifter airbags to level the truck while towing.

Hopefully this helps a little.  I've been stuck in the cycle of over-researching for a while now.  Ha!

I'm right there with you brother.

Find an RV dealer that will rent a TT to you for a week or two.  They generally offer up popular floor plans for rentals.  Until you've had some experience don't limit your options.  You may discover that bigger doesn't mean better for your particular purposes.  Some people truly like to travel and others like to drag a second home from point A to B.  You can find an easily towed, smaller comfortable trailer with a  floorplan that meets the needs of your family.  
+1. We did this the summer before we bought ours and it was a huge help when we started shopping.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I tow a 34 foot travel trailer with my 14gmc 5.3 cc 3.42 gears with no issues . I also put on a 275/60/20 tire and haven’t fixed the speedo correction yet. Pulling the camper from Tennessee to Talladega did avg 8-10 mpgs

3C6BD012-FD85-4CFB-8E57-13811BADE643.jpeg

536EF955-3604-48E1-ABE0-1A486B07EF26.jpeg

+1 for renting first.  I will be renting one in August.  This will be my first experience with a TT and also the first time I will tow anything that big.  Right now, I have no place to keep a trailer of my own.  Someday we may buy one, but I can rent one 20 - 30 times before I pay for a new one.  Plus I get a new one every time I rent.  If in the future we start renting several times a year, maybe it will be time to consider buying.