2019 Interior what’s the problem?

In terms of materials and fit and finish, the GM trucks are above Ford, but below Ram. The materials themselves are high quality for the most part, soft-touch, durable, good quality stuff. However, the design is where things fall flat. Ford has a better design, but worse materials/quality. The interiors have great curb appeal until you actually get inside and start touching stuff. GM is the opposite. They kind of shot themselves in the foot with a very uninspired design, but everything is well put together and good quality. 

Another huge issue I see is GM's fetish for monochromatic black interiors. They just make everything look cheap and have zero contrast, especially in pictures.The tan/atmosphere interiors have a very attractive color palate, but good luck finding one unless you want to custom order it. 

You’re definitely right about the interior colors save for the Denali which has the really cool walnut & ash grey combo. I have the black and it’s boring, but probably more befitting of the truck’s black exterior than the tan and brown. The issue with that is there aren’t many exterior colors that would complement it well. An actual grey would be a nice step down from the black.

Ram has the tan and blue which is pretty sharp, although light colored seats are probably a bad idea in a pickup.

Last year’s F-150 Limited was probably my favorite with the bluish-teal interior. Takes me right back to my favorite cars in the 80s and early 90s when you could get blue interiors. Or even better, maroon. Just so long as we don’t go back to the olive green and velour seats, I’d be okay with some more variety out of GM. 

• Like 1

There is no problem with the interior. I like the simplicity of my Silverados interior, the layout just makes sense to me.

I found the Ram interior to be busy and over-styled for a truck. I think it would be more appropriate in a luxury SUV that a soccer mom uses to impress her friends.

I feel that the interior of my TB is quite adequate  although I do agree that the tilt wheel in the new trucks are garbage compared to the one in my 15

I'm in a K2 Denali.  My one and only problem with the T1 interior is that its basically the same design as the K2's with a few new things or changes.  I see it as GM had years to come up with a top trim interior design knowing where the luxury pickup market was headed and when it came to it, they just mailed it in and made minor improvements instead.  The interior is what you see 90% of the time, a little extra money there can go a long way on that perception.  Here's hoping that after they release the T1 SUVs, they bring that interior (at least the dash) over to the top trim line T1 pickups as a midcycle referesh.

I’ve had a 2014 Denali, 2015 SLT All-Terrain, 2017 LTZ, 2018 base Sierra, 2016 Yukon SLT and a 2019 Tahoe Premium RST to compare to.

I think the 2019 High Country is the best yet. The only feature I don’t care for is it seems like they’ve taken some legroom away for the driver’s left foot. Otherwise just small refinements all over.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

You’re definitely right about the interior colors save for the Denali which has the really cool walnut & ash grey combo. I have the black and it’s boring, but probably more befitting of the truck’s black exterior than the tan and brown. The issue with that is there aren’t many exterior colors that would complement it well. An actual grey would be a nice step down from the black.

Ram has the tan and blue which is pretty sharp, although light colored seats are probably a bad idea in a pickup.

Last year’s F-150 Limited was probably my favorite with the bluish-teal interior. Takes me right back to my favorite cars in the 80s and early 90s when you could get blue interiors. Or even better, maroon. Just so long as we don’t go back to the olive green and velour seats, I’d be okay with some more variety out of GM. 

I think the tan interiors have just aged a lot better in the GMT900 trucks as an example. The light color still looks roomy and airy, while the black just looks cheaper and more plasticky. Something about the graining of the plastic maybe. The black leather seats always seem to show more signs of wear too.

gmc.png

Edited by Mandalorian
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 11:41 PM, Elpresidente said:

After a year of watching every, and literally (the old English use of the word) YouTube videos and reviews on the new RAM and the Chevy/GMC lines.

I candidly do not understand what every auto journalists problem is with the New Chevy trucks interior. 

I don't understand why people refuse to understand. :-)

I hope you simply disagree, not that you truly don't understand if you have read and watched as many reviews as you suggest.  It has been a fairly well articulated and discussed topic.

Compared to the K2, it's just not a great leap forward.  The competition has made greater strides forward, and their reviews reflect that.

Yes, it's solid.  Yes, it's good.  No, it's not great.  Good enough for me, but that doesn't make it a world-killer.  "I've had better" as they say.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

I think the tan interiors have just aged a lot better in the GMT900 trucks as an example. The light color still looks roomy and airy, while the black just looks cheaper and more plasticky. Something about the graining of the plastic maybe. The black leather seats always seem to show more signs of wear too.

gmc.png

Still drive my '09 SLT mostly for that reason. Tan interior and no ipad screen ...First Pic above is my truck. Only thing I would add is blind spot and audio text thru the speakers. Text on a dash screen or phone is a killer. 

• Like 1

While waiting for service on my '14, I sat in a '19. I'll admit it was only for less than a minute but I didn't want to be approached by some pushy salesman, lol. After adjusting the seat, ect., I found myself "reaching" for the dash knobs and switches. Maybe trivial to some but that alone would kill the deal. Besides, it looks too much like a Tundra, no thanks.

On 7/6/2019 at 10:41 PM, Elpresidente said:

After a year of watching every, and literally (the old English use of the word) YouTube videos and reviews on the new RAM and the Chevy/GMC lines.

I candidly do not understand what every auto journalists problem is with the New Chevy trucks interior.  

Now am looking at or discussing High Country, Denali, and AT4 interiors.  The perforated leather seats are comfortable.  The padding is not to hard.  The interior is great.  You know your not in a $100K+ Mercedes of even a $65K+ Merc.

Although the door soft touch materials are fine.  The center console is softer than the doors and great for an arm rest.  The phone holder in the middle arm rest is far enough from the end that it will never be in the way.  The controls are easily layed out and maybe even considerably more ergonomicly than the RAM.

Have a loaded with every option Acura MDX.  The Chevy/GMC interior on the high end trims is damn near identical in quality overall.  MDX might not be a high end luxury vechile. Might be a rung below some of the German options; but my time in the vechicles today do not warrant the bad press.

Chevy now only if you would do adaptive suspension on the High Country :)  Like you used to!

I agree with you, my AT4 compares in every way to my wife's VW Touareg (which is VW's best offering). Matter of fact, the truck is better because the Touareg has very little in the way of putting space. I generally have to drive with my phone/wallet in the door.

I think the interior in my 2017 Yukon Denali is nicer than my 2019 Sierra Denali.  The leather on the seat is softer and the seats themselves are more comfortable.  The knobs on the radio have a rubber grip; they just feel more high end.  No adjustable pedals and no auto wipers.  Manual tilt really and the steering wheel feels thin and like plastic compared to the Yukon.  The side pockets on the Yukon  console are about 6 inches longer than on the Sierra. 

The window sill should be about a 1/2 wider as I like to rest my arm on the sill as I drive but I find it difficult to get comfortable in both trucks.  The mirrors on the Sierra are 10x better the the Yukon though.  They did get the wireless charging pad correct this time as the one on the Yukon is small and does not work with my Otterbox cover.

Pete

• Like 1