MPG for 2019 5.3L 8 speed

When i bought the truck a month ago, it had 3838 miles on it. I drove it home (about 2 1/2) hours away and was blown away on the milage. It was averaging 20-25 with a best of 27.1 mpg. I have been keeping an eye on it because I'm still just amazed by it, coming from 10 mpg previously. I have noticed my average hasn't been over 20 in a couple of weeks. I've driven different speeds to maximize the gas milage and changed the distance setting. I cannot get it over 19 miles per gallon. I know its still good but why was i seen incredible numbers when i drove it home. What can i do to increase my mileage again?

Thanks guys, For the record, I am very happy with 20 mpg. I guess it kinda spoiled me seeing something higher. I have seen a difference when i put low octane fuel in the tank along with running my A/C on full blast. Also, starting the truck remotely and letting it sit idle dramatically  decreased estimated MPG. Anyway, thanks again for your responses.

If the 19's (like prev gen) have a screen that show a graph of best avg, current avg and instantaneous mpg watch it for awhile. I usually use that screen set to the average with the lowest number of miles (when set to imperial units, this is 31 mi;e average on a Canadian truck, probably 25 or 30 miles on US trucks) 

Trucks will always get the best averages when running at a steady speed.

Cruise control is your friend.

Gentle (but not super slow) acceleration and kicking out the cruise to use longer coast down instead of aggressive braking will also help.  

My last 5.3 was a 16, with 8 speed.

With my usage I was disappointed if the full tank average was less than 20 - 21.  

It frequently made a 50 mile 2 lane run, with speeds between 55 and 60. Mileage would be in mid 20's.

It doesn't take much city/town driving with lots of stops and starts to trash the 'tank average'.that was looking so good during a steady run.

• Like 1

I had very similar experience as wedwngr with my 2016 5.3 & 8 speed combo.  I commute ~25 miles one way to work via a 4 lane US route with speed limits from 40 to 60 & 5 stop lights before hopping on an interstate for the last half of the trip.  I also used my cruise control and tried to coast as much as possible.  Never pumped a drop of anything other than 87 octane gas in it from the day I took delivery.  During the summer months, I could get as much as 23mpg on a tank (roads did have some hills that would peck away at the mileage).  During the winter, I'd be lucky to get 20mpg.  Crosswinds also seemed to affect mileage more so than a straight on wind for some reason.  I did experience the clunky transmission (hard shifting, not knowing which gear into which it wanted to downshift) as well as the fluttering (fish nibbling - feels like the engine is missing out a bit while cruising at hwy speeds - fixed with transmission fluid flush at dealership).

Due to the 8 speed transmission experiences, I switched to a 6.2L in my 2019 and am getting 1-2mpg less so far on the hwy and around 17.5 in stop & go traffic (better than 5.3 did for me).  Right now, I'm chasing gremlins to get fixed under warranty.

Edited by Wheelguy

• 4 weeks later...

6.2L w/ 10 Speed, driving 20 miles in stop and go traffic on 87 Octane has averaged 16.2 MPG. Switching to 89 Octane has increased the MPG to 17.3. Starting with my next fill up I will gage how well 93 Octane performs. using simple math and recent gas prices of $2.40 for 87 Octane (14.8 cents a mile) and 2.65 for 89 Octane (15.3 cents a mile). It is not cost effective to use 89 octane gasoline. I will report back on the results of 93 octane fuel.

On 7/7/2019 at 12:56 PM, 1000Marlin said:

When i bought the truck a month ago, it had 3838 miles on it. I drove it home (about 2 1/2) hours away and was blown away on the milage. It was averaging 20-25 with a best of 27.1 mpg. I have been keeping an eye on it because I'm still just amazed by it, coming from 10 mpg previously. I have noticed my average hasn't been over 20 in a couple of weeks. I've driven different speeds to maximize the gas milage and changed the distance setting. I cannot get it over 19 miles per gallon. I know its still good but why was i seen incredible numbers when i drove it home. What can i do to increase my mileage again?

The mileage in the new T1 is great but varies wildly depending on the conditions such as wind.  They are designed for maximum mileage as they are from the factory so any other factor at all will impact the mileage.

Towing a little 3,500 lb camper my mileage on the highway went from about 19 to 13.  And the camper is just a pop-up.  Yesterday I installed my lift and 35's which also dropped the hwy mileage to 13.  I suppose I'll see 10 now when I'm towing on the highway.

2019 Sierra Denali 5.3L V8 with 8-speed automatic and I average 19+ in stop and go around town, better on highway when driving steady and sensible, but what fun is that?  I would have bought the more available and more expensive 6.2L with 10-speed tranny but I never tow anything and I did not want the 20" wheels and tires. GM really needs to open up the build ordering options more, engines, trannies, colors, chrome, carbon, etc. I hear the 2020 Sierra 1500s will have the 10-speed option for the 5.3L engines that gets a mile or so more per gallon, but is a more reliable transmission. It may be just an excuse to phase out the 8-speed and make them all 10-speed so they are all the same (less options again), who knows? The new Corvettes ordering system may be a step in the right direction. 

12 hours ago, GMCShack said:

2019 Sierra Denali 5.3L V8 with 8-speed automatic and I average 19+ in stop and go around town, better on highway when driving steady and sensible, but what fun is that?  I would have bought the more available and more expensive 6.2L with 10-speed tranny but I never tow anything and I did not want the 20" wheels and tires. GM really needs to open up the build ordering options more, engines, trannies, colors, chrome, carbon, etc. I hear the 2020 Sierra 1500s will have the 10-speed option for the 5.3L engines that gets a mile or so more per gallon, but is a more reliable transmission. It may be just an excuse to phase out the 8-speed and make them all 10-speed so they are all the same (less options again), who knows? The new Corvettes ordering system may be a step in the right direction. 

There's nothing to suggest that the 10-speed is a more reliable transmission. The 2018-19 F-150's with the same 10-speed have been plagued with as many issues as the 8-speeds were. There will almost certainly be issues with the same 10-speed when GM starts using them in more trucks.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HondaHawkGT said:

There's nothing to suggest that the 10-speed is a more reliable transmission. The 2018-19 F-150's with the same 10-speed have been plagued with as many issues as the 8-speeds were. There will almost certainly be issues with the same 10-speed when GM starts using them in more trucks.

I’m not saying it is more or less reliable, I suppose time will tell, but I was trying to say was that I had read that was one of the reasons the author of the article had used as a reason for why GM was offering the 10-speed on the 5.3L’s In 2020 or perhaps that was just their theory, they certainly did not quote anyone at GM as saying that and they likely would never say such a thing.