Air conditioner too weak?

Getting the windows tinted with a film that's designed to reject infrared energy helps a lot with keeping temperatures down and helping the AC to get the cab cooled faster. Ceramic tint is a popular one. I think my 2014 had a little more cooling power but as others have pointed out, the rear vents are pulling some of that cool air from the front vents in the 2019's. If nobody is back there, you could close the rear vents. That will give the front vents a little more flow. Also found that cracking open the rear sliding window helps pull some of the hot air out until the AC gets going. 

Pro tip: A few minutes before you're ready to jump in the truck, you can roll all the windows down on the truck.

(1) Press [Unlock]

(2) Release

(3) Press [Unlock] again and hold it for 3-4 seconds.

Do it right and all four windows will roll down to help get as much heat out as possible.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

Wisconsin here too, no complaints with the A/C, even in a black truck with black leather and the sunroof shade never used. I have it set to 70 all the time, usually if my wife is with me, her side is at like 74 because it actually gets a bit chilly. 

3 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

Getting the windows tinted with a film that's designed to reject infrared energy helps a lot with keeping temperatures down and helping the AC to get the cab cooled faster. Ceramic tint is a popular one. I think my 2014 had a little more cooling power but as others have pointed out, the rear vents are pulling some of that cool air from the front vents in the 2019's. If nobody is back there, you could close the rear vents. That will give the front vents a little more flow. Also found that cracking open the rear sliding window helps pull some of the hot air out until the AC gets going. 

Pro tip: A few minutes before you're ready to jump in the truck, you can roll all the windows down on the truck.

(1) Press [Unlock]

(2) Release

(3) Press [Unlock] again and hold it for 3-4 seconds.

Do it right and all four windows will roll down to help get as much heat out as possible.

Yes, rolling windows down lets the heat escape and helps. Tint helps as well. 

1 hour ago, Mercracing said:

Also Wisconsin here. My AC will eventually get cold, but it takes its time getting there. I know where you’re coming from man!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For a Suburban? Mine is really quick and frigid (one of the best things about it), but then again the system in my Subaru is basically a hamster eating a mint and coughing on you. Last summer in NJ we had a 115F heatwave, and that's when I knew I bought the right vehicle with the Suburban.

Edited by Mandalorian

For a Suburban? Mine is really quick and frigid (one of the best things about it), but then again the system in my Subaru is basically a hamster eating a mint and coughing on you. Last summer in NJ we had a 115F heatwave, and that's when I knew I bought the right vehicle with the Suburban.

My 17 suburban would blow colder air, but there was so much interior area it took awhile to get it to stay cool.
My 18 Sierra is the same story. Coolish air but it takes awhile for it to stay cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Controller23 said:

Setting of Lo, blower all the way up, seems to take forever to cool off the truck. Even after airing it out. I’m only in Wisconsin too, what about people in truly warm states?

My Tacoma would get so cold you could see your breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the newer freon is garbage   134a the best (R12 even better)   

on my electric A/C it gets cold quickly  with in 15 seconds its getting cold  it's all ready freezing after 5-10min

Edited by bg1988

19 hours ago, mafd2 said:

Yes, rolling windows down lets the heat escape and helps. Tint helps as well. 

I added a little clarification to my post. Most guys don't know that you can roll the windows down remotely with the key fob. 

Edited by HondaHawkGT
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, HondaHawkGT said:

I added a little clarification to my post. Most guys don't know that you call roll the windows down remotely with the key fob. 

Including myself ?. Thanks for the tip ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mafd2 said:

I'd have it checked if I were you. I'm in hot humid La. and my A/C is cold. I have an A/C thermometer clipped in the vent and it gets to 38°.

Can you share with us your A/C thermometer. Bought? Part number ? 

While I don't have a T series truck....yet.  I'm glad to hear that for the most part AC performance is being reported as it is.  I've been reading on the RAM forums and that is one big issue that 19 Ram owners are having.  AC vent temps at only 60 degrees F.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/air-conditioning-performance.990/

I am fortunate that I live where it doesn't become oppressively hot very often, but sweltering in my truck is not on my bucket list.  AC that actually works is a good thing.  Always had good luck with GM AC performance; glad to hear for the most part AC appears to be okay on the new trucks.

Edited by Foghorn17
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, teyaroch said:

You must use the recirculate function to get maximum cooling.  

True, once interior temps cool down. If your truck has been in the hot sun for hours, you will be circulating brutal 120° cabin air through the system taking it that much longer to cool. 

2 hours ago, Windmill Greaser said:

Can you share with us your A/C thermometer. Bought? Part number ? 

It's a Taylor. You can get them at an A/C appliance store or ebay/Amazon.  Maybe Lowes or Home Depot. I have 2; a dial and digital type. I use one in home and one in my truck. I check calibration and are spot on. Just clip in your vent.

Screenshot_2019-07-10-08-14-45-1.png

Screenshot_2019-07-10-08-16-55-1.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Foghorn17 said:

While I don't have a T series truck....yet.  I'm glad to hear that for the most part AC performance is being reported as it is.  I've been reading on the RAM forums and that is one big issue that 19 Ram owners are having.  AC vent temps at only 60 degrees F.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/air-conditioning-performance.990/

I am fortunate that I live where it doesn't become oppressively hot very often, but sweltering in my truck is not on my bucket list.  AC that actually works is a good thing.  Always had good luck with GM AC performance; glad to hear for the most part AC appears to be okay on the new trucks.

Did not know that about Ram, but not a huge surprise. The A/C in the last gen was average at best. The new F-150s though, are pretty great in that department equipped with the automatic climate control.