Air conditioner too weak?

1 hour ago, mafd2 said:

It's a Taylor. You can get them at an A/C appliance store or ebay/Amazon.  Maybe Lowes or Home Depot. I have 2; a dial and digital type. I use one in home and one in my truck. I check calibration and are spot on. Just clip in your vent.

Screenshot_2019-07-10-08-14-45-1.png

Screenshot_2019-07-10-08-16-55-1.png

Thank you Taylor most helpful . Will purchase today 

• Like 1

Las Vegas here.

Yesterday it was 106 here. Had the A/C at max fan speed and I felt fine. 

Did take a while to cool the truck, but I also think its because its a huge interior space.

Once the AC ran for a while, I felt great.

Also, I have ceramic tint all the way around, including a very light shade in the windshield. Makes a MASSIVE difference. 

Edited by Sin City Trail Boss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mandalorian said:

Did not know that about Ram, but not a huge surprise. The A/C in the last gen was average at best. The new F-150s though, are pretty great in that department equipped with the automatic climate control.

The Ram guys seem to think it involves the blend of the HVAC.  Some of them are using home plumbing materials to reroute coolant in essence blocking off  or restricting coolant flow to the heater core.  Those who have done it claim their air is much colder somewhere to the tune of 20 degrees.  

• Like 1

I've got a crew cab and I live in Alabama.  My A/C works just fine.  Regularly above 90 outside and I'm sure above 100 in the truck when I get in.  I remote start on the walk out to help a little though.  

One of the bigger reasons I got rid of my last car (2010 Hyundai Genesis) was because the A/C took about 10-15 minutes to cool off the car in the summer even when driving at 60 mph.  Heaven forbid I get stopped at a light.. I might as well have just turned the A/C off.  It wouldn't have felt any hotter.  Now, by the time I get to the first light after leaving our parking lot the air is cold and the truck is comfortable soon after.  

I do wish they push a little more air to the back, even if its not in the form of 2 separate climate zones.  My kids sometimes complain of being hot while my wife and I are ready to turn the temp on the controller up a degree or two.

Edited by ndking1126

9 hours ago, Foghorn17 said:

While I don't have a T series truck....yet.  I'm glad to hear that for the most part AC performance is being reported as it is.  I've been reading on the RAM forums and that is one big issue that 19 Ram owners are having.  AC vent temps at only 60 degrees F.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/air-conditioning-performance.990/

I am fortunate that I live where it doesn't become oppressively hot very often, but sweltering in my truck is not on my bucket list.  AC that actually works is a good thing.  Always had good luck with GM AC performance; glad to hear for the most part AC appears to be okay on the new trucks.

60° is ok for a home HVAC but not a vehicle. We have a RAM at work and it never was cold from new. 55° at best.

It was 100° out this afternoon with 110° heat index. Interior was 125°. Interior cooled down fairly quickly and I was getting 38°-40° out the vents which is colder than my '16 Sierra which ran 42°-44°.

20190710_142341.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There have been a few times where my RST does not blow cold air right away. Others have reported this, too. I've been able to fix this by turning the AC off, then back on, and then the cool air comes rushing in through the excellent blowers on the system. 

I'm coming from a 2007 LT 1500 with cloth seats, so take this FWIW... but I feel the leather on these 2019 trucks does not breath much at all. I don't have ventilated seats, unfortunately, and when the sun hits that dark leather, they do not cool fast. My backside is pretty warm in these 100º Texas days lately. It will give you the feeling like the AC isn't working hard or cool enough. 

6 hours ago, SILVER SLED said:

I don't think it's a Silverado thing, I think all the vehicles with the new Freon don't cool nearly as well, or at least as fast.  It seems to take forever for them to start to blow cold air out of the vents. 

Yeah most new vehicles use HFO-1234yf now. I think GM started using it in some vehicles back around 2013 but just switched the trucks to it in 2017.

It only takes longer when it’s really hot, often the case in south Texas. My vehicles range from 92-17. The new one cools a bit quicker, only because the condenser is cleaner. All will freeze you out after a few minutes. I think I have all Freon covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

Yeah most new vehicles use HFO-1234yf now. I think GM started using it in some vehicles back around 2013 but just switched the trucks to it in 2017.

Well maybe it is a Silverado thing then, because my truck starts blowing cold air quickly.  The ‘19 new styles we have as loaners seem to take a long time to just start blowing cold out the vents.  

6 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

Well maybe it is a Silverado thing then, because my truck starts blowing cold air quickly.  The ‘19 new styles we have as loaners seem to take a long time to just start blowing cold out the vents.  

I didn't mean to say that it is or isn't. My 2019 seems to take about a minute to startvthrowing cold air. I just assumed its because the truck is parked in the sun and the evaporator takes a little more time to get to normal operating temp. I don't know how the R1234yf systems compare to the R134a version in terms of operating performance.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:44 PM, mafd2 said:

The high fan speed helps move air around better but the air is not as cold with the blower on high as the air is rushing through the evaporator too fast. The lower the fan speed the colder the air will be out of the vents. Don't turn the recirculate on if your truck has been sitting in the hot sun all day because on recirculate it's sucking the 120° interior temp through the system taking it that much longer to cool down. With recirculate off the system is sucking the outside air instead of the hot cabin air. Once the interior cools down, then turn the recirculate on. It'll stay cold and run more efficient because the cabin air is cool and is recirculating.

Or you can open the windows for two minutes with the recirculation on, fan 50% and do the same thing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Or you can open the windows for two minutes with the recirculation on, fan 50% and do the same thing. 

Absolutely, I stated that in a previous post about rolling windows down letting the hot interior air escape. My post though was in reference to a member stating the that the recirculate must be on for maximum cooling. True but not when cabin air is 120°f. Once interior is cooled down, recirculate gives maximum cooling.

• Like 2