LivingOsprey1050

I'm having trouble finding out what this piece is called

So I've been trying to figure out what exactly this piece is called as on one side of my truck it's rusted really bad as I've attached pictures of both sides. It's some kind of bolted-on support beam or crossmember, but when I look those up online it doesn't pull up anything of the sort. I put some POR-15 on both of them (that's why they're glossy) but I'd probably be better off buying a new set. It's a 2006 GMC Sierra 4.3

1.jpg

2.jpg

24 minutes ago, LivingOsprey1050 said:

So I've been trying to figure out what exactly this piece is called as on one side of my truck it's rusted really bad as I've attached pictures of both sides. It's some kind of bolted-on support beam or crossmember, but when I look those up online it doesn't pull up anything of the sort. I put some POR-15 on both of them (that's why they're glossy) but I'd probably be better off buying a new set. It's a 2006 GMC Sierra 4.3

1.jpg

2.jpg

part#15760799 is for both sides. gm calls it a front suspension brace

I would remove it and bring it to a welder/fabricator and have him make one from solid bar stock. Will never rot away again and will be much sturdier than the hollow factory junk.

It's very similar to some hollow sway bars on other GM vehicles that aren't worth the bolts that hold them on.

If you should have a reputable fabricator/ welder in or near where you live that's what I would do.

It will probably cost more than ordering the GM part, but will last forever. That's if you plan on keeping the truck for a while.

But that's just me. Anytime I can make a part better than the factory without much trouble or money that's what I do.

Good Luck with whatever path you take.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By RodOK1967
      I purchased a brand new 2019 2500HD LTZ Iridescent Pearl,  2 weeks ago here in Oklahoma. The truck had 26 miles on the odometer. 3 days after I brought it  home, I gave it its first washing. I was so proud of this brand new truck until I ran into rust, on the lower part of the doors. I thought to myself I just purchased a brand new truck for $60,000, why in the world am I seeing rust. I immediately crawled under the truck to find multiple components that have significant/moderate red rust showing. The trans pan and rear disc brake covers are losing their plating with rust coming through.

I immediately contacted the salesman asking to bring the truck back and trade for a different one, but......I was told financing already went through and they could not take it back. That was 3 days of ownership. It's been very painful and disappointing to this point, but I did get the truck into the Service Manager and he took pics and trying to see what GM is willing to do. I just came back to Chevrolet after years of Purchasing Ford products. I even have my 1949 5 Window that I drove in college.

Has anybody seen this before on brand new GM trucks? See Pics

• By Zane
      Zane Merva
      Executive Editor / Publisher, GM-Trucks.com
      April 12th, 2019

A few months ago we started to notice something on our 2019 Silverado that no owner of a brand new vehicle wants to see. Rust. Specifically on our rear bumper, just around the plastic step. It wasn't huge and didn't spread very far from the edge... but we couldn't stop noticing it. There was no excuse for rust on a 8 month old vehicle with less than 10,000 miles. The photo above shows the minimal but noticeable rust patch. It was even happening on both sides and in the same place. The issue seemed odd. 

Unfortunately, we've just been too busy to bring it by to our local dealership for them to look at. Lucky for us, our procrastination has paid off, because in the time between us first noticing the problem and getting off our lazy asses to drive to our dealer, GM has released a TSB about this very issue. 

It appears that on most of the early trucks, production of the bumper was completed incorrectly. The steel assemblies should be bent into shape then chrome plated. But that didn't happen in a small part of the early bumpers. The supplier bent the area around the side step after the bumper was chromed. The new folds in the steel damaged the chrome, cracking it and making the truck susceptible to rusting. 

What's the fix? If your bumper is rusting already, Chevy and GMC will replace it. If it has not yet started to rust, they will apply an automotive grade wax/sealant to prevent rust in the future. 

If you're unsure if your 2019 has this issue we suggest doing the following:
      1. Give your truck a bath for heavens sake!
      2. Clean the rear bumper step area with a hose or pressure washer. Front and back! We find lots of dirt collects behind our step in the bumper assembly.
      3. Inspect around the foot step area and behind the foot step area. We found rust in both areas!
      4. If in doubt, wait for it to rust and kindly ask for a new rear bumper. 

Our dealership, Banks Chevrolet in Concord, NH has been great getting our rust issue fixed. Our service adviser Justin has kept us in the loop during the repair and gave us a loaner Silverado LT while they have our truck. He even made sure any other outstanding service updates are also applied to our LTZ while it was in the shop. As it turned out, there were six open issues that needed addressed. 

Here's the official Service Update you can print out and bring to your dealer when you take your Silverado or Sierra in for service. 

• By mrbadwrench
      The bed corners (getting thin) and the rear leaf shackles (lots of pack out) in particular may be a problem soon. But it's an awful pain in the butt to crawl around under there trying head off rust at the pass. How much longer do you think this truck's got before I have to worry about something giving out at max payload?

• By accioio
      Hey guys,
      I just bought a beater silverado that I intended to keep for a month or two. Just wondering what you think of the rust situation? Worth putting any work into the vehicle and keeping it going for a bit? It has 215, 000 km on it. Haven't dealt with a rust situation like this before. I'll show pictures of the worst parts.

• By denialanderror
      I have a low beam out on my 2013 1500. I'd like to replace them with leds but I'm not sure which ones play well with the auto lights and drl stuff. Anyone have suggestions or reviews on leds that are on the current market?