In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Sdillow76

Fuel line leak

So I just purchased a 2001 chevy Silverado and got home to find the main fuel line was leaking from the filter back. The previous owner has taken a hose and clamps and clamped this down to the existent metallic that was cut out and the rubber he used ripped at the end before the clamp causing a leak. My question is what is the best option for repair other than replacing full line. Would a piece of metal line and compression fittings work, or should I get fuel injection hose and clamps and just redo it. I do plan on getting the line replaced just don’t have the extra money right now. 

Did mine with rubber hose and clamps until I was able to replace all the lines (which was a pain).

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, PTXer said:

Did mine with rubber hose and clamps until I was able to replace all the lines (which was a pain).

How long did you run it like that? I figure it’ll be a month or two before I’m able to get around to replacing. I’ve heard it’s certainly a pain so not looking forward to it. Lol 

It was like 4 or 5 months before it started leaking in some other spot and so did total replace.

• Thanks 1

Also anyone know what size the main high pressure fuel line is after the fuel filter is it 3/8 or 5/16? 

5 years on mine,rubber don't rust,I'm keeping it,lol

• Thanks 1

When it's quiet out,you can hear their stuff rust,lol

1 hour ago, riverbanks said:

5 years on mine,rubber don't rust,I'm keeping it,lol

Did you just use clamps with the rubber? 

I use 2 on each end,inverted,I cut hard plastic line a few inches back,got new stubby fuel line repair piece from Napa to go into filter,done

23 minutes ago, riverbanks said:

I use 2 on each end,inverted,I cut hard plastic line a few inches back,got new stubby fuel line repair piece from Napa to go into filter,done

Awesome thanks I will go with that!