Talk me out of a Ram.

I'm a 4th generation GM owner. I've always owned GM. My dad had always owned GM. His dad, and so on. I've been looking at getting a new truck for a couple months, as you've all seen by my posts lately. I love that 6.2L. Honestly though, I haven't been super impressed with this gen, as far as appearance goes, and even though I don't praise the other manufacturers for "superior interiors" like the media does, I can admit that I'm kind of tired of the simple, similar interior, since I'm coming from a 2014. 

Over the weekend, I test drove a Ram. I didn't want to. The dealership literally begged me to. I was circling through the lot and a salesman came out and before I could even say I was there for my wife to look at a Jeep, he was asking me what number it would take to get me in a Ram. My response: "A magical number." After handing me the keys to a beautiful blue truck, he said if I drove it, I would love it. I was skeptical, so I said sure.

He was wrong. I didn't love it. But...I liked it alot. It was smooth and quiet. Power was good. Not 6.2L level, but good. Seats were very comfortable. So I decided to listen to their pitch. 

MSRP was $55,000. By the time they calculated my trade (good time to mention that they were offering me ALOT more for my truck than the GM lots I've been talking to), I was down to about $28,000, out the door, for a brand new truck. 

So I ask you all to talk me out of it. I admittedly don't know alot about the durability and reliability of these trucks as I've never had one.

I liked that it had ventilated seats available on every trim level. Actually, more flexible options for every trim level in general. I didn't like that I couldn't get the surround camera system that GM offers. I also don't care for the gigantic screen option on the Ram, but I drove the 8.2" screen version, and enjoyed it. I keep hearing that the large screen has been having issues and can sometimes keep you from being able to even change the a/c settings when it crashes. I liked the wheel options on the Ram so much more than anything I've seen on the GM trucks. I honestly can't find a factory wheel on any trim level in any size on either truck that I like. I can't say the same for the Ram. I didn't like the lack of the 6.2. That's still my big kicker. I wish I could have a direct comparison between the two, as far as response and take off. I will say that if they offered the 6.4 Hemi in the 1500, I probably would've left the lot that day in a Ram. I also don't like the 8 speed trans in the Ram, but apparently it's not one of the big issues they've been having. 

To get into any GM truck with ventilated seats, my MSRP instantly rises to $60k. And of all the dealers I've talked to over the past two months or so, which is in the double digits by now, they don't seem motivated to sell. Local lots are only knocking off a couple grand off MSRP and will straight up deny they can go any lower when we sit down, so i leave. Online lots are showing some good prices, but no where near what the Ram can get down to.

So talk me out of it. Or talk me into it. Or talk some sense into me. Give me some comparisons, things to look for, things I wouldn't be happy with. Let me know what you think of the 5.7 Hemi VS the 6.2.

• Like 1

We talking old or new design dodge ram?

The old design is pretty much bullet proof by now, they've worked out most of their quirks.

The new design however, stay far away. Seen tons of problems with these. Transmission failures, e-tourqe system failing within a few thousand miles, their infotainment system freezing, etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sin City Trail Boss said:

We talking old or new design dodge ram?

The old design is pretty much bullet proof by now, they've worked out most of their quirks.

The new design however, stay far away. Seen tons of problems with these. Transmission failures, e-tourqe system failing within a few thousand miles, their infotainment system freezing, etc.

It was the new version, non E-torque. 

Yeah I've seen plenty of complaints about the gigantic screen system freezing up. I'm not a fan of it anyway though. Next to impossible to hit a small button on a huge touchscreen without something to steady your hand on.

In reality, all the truck brands are very similar. It all boils down to with one you like best. This brand has this problem, that brand has that problem, it all seems to equal out. To me, the interiors are the thing to pay attention to, that's where you and your truck meet, touch each other. That is what you'll remember on a day to day basis.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mandalorian said:

Never good to buy the first year of any new vehicle. I've heard the A/C on the 19s is pretty subpar. Before you pull any triggers, check out an F-150 so you can get a complete picture of what's out there. 

Totally agree.  If you are going to jump ship from GM, you might as well see what all the competition offers.  If you do Ford, be a little leery of the 5.0....oil burning issues in 18's & 19s. so I hear. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Never good to buy the first year of any new vehicle. I've heard the A/C on the 19s is pretty subpar. Before you pull any triggers, check out an F-150 so you can get a complete picture of what's out there. 

I broke that rule when buying my TB. Hopefully I don't end up regretting it.

I got the old 5.3 with AFM and 6 speed though. Hopefully she's reliable. 

I bought a 19 sierra 5.3 SLT in march,  so far no issues worth mentioning.  It has the heated/vented seats in the front and heated in the rear. It rides and drives great, definitely has a lot of room inside and its quiet.  The transmission is so smooth you have to really pay attenetion to feel it shift.  Sticker was 58K, but after trade (05 sierra ext cab w/186K miles) and some dealing I got it for a lot less.  No its not a 6.2 but I am happy with the power and I am averaging 21mpg with it compared to the 16mpg I averaged with the 05.

Not sure if that helps or not but there it is...

• Like 1

I would check the FERD'S out too?  I mean why not?  Might as well shop all the Makers.  Anywho...You will get suppar MPG's with the Ram and most likely you will need to stay away from the new 5.0's as the OIL CONSUMPTION is major issue....How they will fix AL block expanding away with .100" plasma arc welded cylinder wall attached is simply never going to happen those mfg'd blocks will never operate accordingly as to cast in place Cylinder liners.  As for your RAM and their Magnificent JOB of Lipsticking a PIG that is your call?  Buying a truck to pound the bed,frame suspension?  Well leave that for GM and reliability I would leave that to GM too?  Get the 6.2L GM accept the interior and have far more smiling on your face than the others.  

1 minute ago, wizard4878 said:

I bought a 19 sierra 5.3 SLT in march,  so far no issues worth mentioning.  It has the heated/vented seats in the front and heated in the rear. It rides and drives great, definitely has a lot of room inside and its quiet.  The transmission is so smooth you have to really pay attenetion to feel it shift.  Sticker was 58K, but after trade (05 sierra ext cab w/186K miles) and some dealing I got it for a lot less.  No its not a 6.2 but I am happy with the power and I am averaging 21mpg with it compared to the 16mpg I averaged with the 05.

Not sure if that helps or not but there it is...

That is what I am hearing too?  The 5.3L although the same other than DFM is finally acting like the tough little Bastardz it is!  Nice truck SON!

Do you do any towing? I know the dodge is "rated" for 11k + lbs but with the way it squats with substantially lighter weight, I can't say it is.

Resale is something to consider as well. They do not seem to do as well in that department.

Otherwise, dodge power, ride quality, and interior is tough to beat.

I can relate to the lust of the new RAM.  I owned a 13 RAM after MANY years of loyal Ford ownership. I never owned a Chevy because they never appealed to me.  I LOVED my 13 Ram Laramie Longhorn.  Honestly wish I hadn't gotten rid of it now.  I did though and gave into my idiocy and got a 19 Limited RAM.  Had everything you could get.  LOVED IT. I was SO happy.  When I bought My 13 it wasn't everything I wanted but it was what I could get at the time.  This time NO compromise.  So we jumped into the new RAM to head to Houston for the weekend and it was in July in Texas so it was HOT>  First thing was the AC just didn't cool off.  I tried to say it was the new Pano roof or I hadn't tinted it yet.  Just never cooled off that whole trip.  Then it started to clunk in turns. Then it had many electrical gremlins.  I won't go into all the specifics but I had so many issues.  I finally took it to the dealer and didn't have it a month.  They were good to work with and I got it back and thought maybe the module updates and things they had done would finally take care of everything and I could begin to enjoy my new truck.

Wrong, had so many more issues.   I was REALLY sad.  Nothing worse than paying for a truck that you just do not enjoy.  I finally traded it in for my 19 Silverado.  I really just want a truck I can drive without issue.  Thats all.  I only went Silverado because I will never own another Ford.  I actually like the new chevy design to be honest. Interior is sparse but that's ok. I can drive it and not worry about the kids eating in it.  I didn't get my no compromise truck because I wasn't sure Id like the chevy and didn't want to be real deep into another truck.  I have to say though I love my chevy.  Could there be improvements, absolutely.    I haven't had an issue.  Gas mileage is fantastic and its comfortable it has LED headlights that are great for night driving. The 19s Chevy/GMC trucks are really good trucks. 

• Like 1

I'm a Chevy \ GMC fan and have been for years.  I looked at every model (except the Nissan) pretty close before  i bought and I haven't regretted my 19 Chevy at all. 

After Dodge just recalled something like 350k of those I'd stay away.  Just check long term reliability.   I agree they are pretty nice looking but I like to keep my trucks for a few years.  If you are going to flip it in 2 or 3 years you would probably be fine but like someone else said they don't hold up well on re-sale.    The big 3 all make good trucks, just get what fits you and how long you want to keep it.  They can all be made to look good but will they last?!

I've tried to like the Ford, Dodge and Toyota but apples to apples (and I have the 6.2 so not really fair) I haven't looked back since.   Try the 6.2 with the 10 speed, that alone will make you decide.  That was the MAIN thing I wanted. 

Good luck in your decision! 

Smitty

I had a 2014 Ram 1500 with the Hemi and 8-speed. I brought it to the track a lot and raced it, I drove it like an idiot, I towed with it, I lifted it and lowered it. It was a damn good truck for me. At about 30K miles the 3rd brake light leaked a little so I brought it in. At about 50k miles two exhaust manifold bolts snapped and the manifold warped causing it to tick at idle. I fixed that myself. That was my only two issues.

• Like 1

It pretty much boils down to this: 

1. If your truck is 75%+ used to just get you down the road, get a RAM. It will ride more softly and well-mannered. (I have a 2019 RST Z71 that rides great overall, but it could definitely be a little plusher.)
  2. If you tow a lot, get an F-150 with the Ecoboost. It's the clear all-around towing winner, regardless of what anyone with a 6.2L says on here. Lol 
  3. If you want the most long-lasting, dependable truck that has a clean, functional interior, that has the best style on the road, and is easily the best value for what you'll end up paying from the big 3 over the long term of ownership, get a GM. 

Notice "YOU" is the consequential word in all 3 of these... as it has to meet YOUR needs and preferences.