Talk me out of a Ram.

Don't get me wrong. I loved my previous F-150's with the 5.0L until I got a 2018. Someone at Ford decided to save even more weight by going with plasma lined cylinders instead of steel sleeves. Big mistake. I was burning about a Qt every 3k miles. Ford's answer was to disassemble the truck and replace the long block with the same tech. In some cases. the new block did the same thing.

Weight savings and improving gas mileage has driven these companies to extremes. What were once solid performing vehicles have become unreliable and expensive rolling computers. All to save a few MPG's.

Im new to the forums but have been lurking for a few months. Im uniquely qualified to shed some light on the OP's post. I have always been a GM guy (generational), but my last couple of trucks have been RAMs. I had a 2017 RAM that was a great truck and traded it for one of the 2019 newly redesigned models. My 2019 had issues starting at 200 miles. Fuel pump had to be replaced, entire dash of electronics replaced, ANC issues, computer issues, wind whistle in windshield, clicking steering wheel, rear brake whine in reverse, ETC. I think RAM did a great job in the redesign. When it worked, I think it was the best truck on the road. Trans is smooth, hemi is great, interior is quiet, fit and finish perfect, tech (when it works) was great. I traded that truck for a 2019 Sierra and have not regretted it. I will say however that the RAM rode better going slow, I would call it a wash cruising on the highway, they both do very well. IF you decide to take the leap, please ensure it is a later build. It seems the issues are most apparent in the RAM' s manufactured in 2018. Mine was a 2019 model built in May 2018. If you keep your vehicles for a long time, go with the GM. I dont trust the new RAM's yet. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

Never good to buy the first year of any new vehicle. I've heard the A/C on the 19s is pretty subpar. Before you pull any triggers, check out an F-150 so you can get a complete picture of what's out there. 

I typically agree with you. I'll tell you, in a perfect world, I would wait until 2020 to get the RST with the 6.2 and ventilated seats. That's really all I want. And I love the RST looks, and prefer those wheels to pretty much every other GM truck out right now. BUT, no ventilated seats. Hell I'd even consider swapping, but the work to do that would be waaaaaaay more than what I'd want to do.

21 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

I would check the FERD'S out too?  I mean why not?  Might as well shop all the Makers.  Anywho...You will get suppar MPG's with the Ram and most likely you will need to stay away from the new 5.0's as the OIL CONSUMPTION is major issue....How they will fix AL block expanding away with .100" plasma arc welded cylinder wall attached is simply never going to happen those mfg'd blocks will never operate accordingly as to cast in place Cylinder liners.  As for your RAM and their Magnificent JOB of Lipsticking a PIG that is your call?  Buying a truck to pound the bed,frame suspension?  Well leave that for GM and reliability I would leave that to GM too?  Get the 6.2L GM accept the interior and have far more smiling on your face than the others.  

I'm pretty sure my dead family would haunt me if I considered a Ford. 

Actually, to answer the question, I'm just not a fan of the looks of the Ford, and the interior seems to be in last place behind GM and Dodge, atleast to me. Also, I love a good V8, and to get the power I want, I'd have to go with the EB, something I'd rather not do. And the 5.0 is just a big no for me, for reliability in general. 

20 hours ago, tanner709 said:

Do you do any towing? I know the dodge is "rated" for 11k + lbs but with the way it squats with substantially lighter weight, I can't say it is.

Resale is something to consider as well. They do not seem to do as well in that department.

Otherwise, dodge power, ride quality, and interior is tough to beat.

Not much. Most I pull is a 16' trailer with a lawnmower or a load of dirt/mulch/etc. So that's a non-issue for the most part. 

Resale is something I'm definitely worried about with this market saturation at low prices. 

20 hours ago, JD214 said:

I can relate to the lust of the new RAM.  I owned a 13 RAM after MANY years of loyal Ford ownership. I never owned a Chevy because they never appealed to me.  I LOVED my 13 Ram Laramie Longhorn.  Honestly wish I hadn't gotten rid of it now.  I did though and gave into my idiocy and got a 19 Limited RAM.  Had everything you could get.  LOVED IT. I was SO happy.  When I bought My 13 it wasn't everything I wanted but it was what I could get at the time.  This time NO compromise.  So we jumped into the new RAM to head to Houston for the weekend and it was in July in Texas so it was HOT>  First thing was the AC just didn't cool off.  I tried to say it was the new Pano roof or I hadn't tinted it yet.  Just never cooled off that whole trip.  Then it started to clunk in turns. Then it had many electrical gremlins.  I won't go into all the specifics but I had so many issues.  I finally took it to the dealer and didn't have it a month.  They were good to work with and I got it back and thought maybe the module updates and things they had done would finally take care of everything and I could begin to enjoy my new truck.

Wrong, had so many more issues.   I was REALLY sad.  Nothing worse than paying for a truck that you just do not enjoy.  I finally traded it in for my 19 Silverado.  I really just want a truck I can drive without issue.  Thats all.  I only went Silverado because I will never own another Ford.  I actually like the new chevy design to be honest. Interior is sparse but that's ok. I can drive it and not worry about the kids eating in it.  I didn't get my no compromise truck because I wasn't sure Id like the chevy and didn't want to be real deep into another truck.  I have to say though I love my chevy.  Could there be improvements, absolutely.    I haven't had an issue.  Gas mileage is fantastic and its comfortable it has LED headlights that are great for night driving. The 19s Chevy/GMC trucks are really good trucks. 

Interesting. I'm sort of the opposite. I've hit the point of my life, as a grumpy old 35 year old man, where I say "If I'm spending $60k+, this is going to be exactly what I want it to be and nothing that I don't want." I'm still 60% toward GM, but it's hard to pass up a deal like this on that Ram. 

19 hours ago, Smitty said:

I'm a Chevy \ GMC fan and have been for years.  I looked at every model (except the Nissan) pretty close before  i bought and I haven't regretted my 19 Chevy at all. 

After Dodge just recalled something like 350k of those I'd stay away.  Just check long term reliability.   I agree they are pretty nice looking but I like to keep my trucks for a few years.  If you are going to flip it in 2 or 3 years you would probably be fine but like someone else said they don't hold up well on re-sale.    The big 3 all make good trucks, just get what fits you and how long you want to keep it.  They can all be made to look good but will they last?!

I've tried to like the Ford, Dodge and Toyota but apples to apples (and I have the 6.2 so not really fair) I haven't looked back since.   Try the 6.2 with the 10 speed, that alone will make you decide.  That was the MAIN thing I wanted. 

Good luck in your decision! 

Smitty

I wouldn't have it any longer than 5 years, maybe more or less, depending on the issues I'd have. Definitely want to be in something else before the warranty was up on that Ram, just to protect myself. I have to admit that between the 88 S10 Blazer, 89 1500, 97 1500, 2001 1500, and 14 1500, the only issues I've had were fuel pump related for the most part, aside from the transmission in the 2001 as a result of my heavy foot. Incidentally, both of those problems were on the truck I still regret trading off, the 2001.

I've driven the 6.2. I love it. And honestly that and resale concerns on the Ram are the only things keeping me from it right now. I just feel like Dodge is so behind the times with their drivetrain. Meanwhile, GM gets dumped on for outdated interiors, but no one really questions an old setup like the relatively unchanged 5.7h and 8 speed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bmoney5813 said:

Im new to the forums but have been lurking for a few months. Im uniquely qualified to shed some light on the OP's post. I have always been a GM guy (generational), but my last couple of trucks have been RAMs. I had a 2017 RAM that was a great truck and traded it for one of the 2019 newly redesigned models. My 2019 had issues starting at 200 miles. Fuel pump had to be replaced, entire dash of electronics replaced, ANC issues, computer issues, wind whistle in windshield, clicking steering wheel, rear brake whine in reverse, ETC. I think RAM did a great job in the redesign. When it worked, I think it was the best truck on the road. Trans is smooth, hemi is great, interior is quiet, fit and finish perfect, tech (when it works) was great. I traded that truck for a 2019 Sierra and have not regretted it. I will say however that the RAM rode better going slow, I would call it a wash cruising on the highway, they both do very well. IF you decide to take the leap, please ensure it is a later build. It seems the issues are most apparent in the RAM' s manufactured in 2018. Mine was a 2019 model built in May 2018. If you keep your vehicles for a long time, go with the GM. I dont trust the new RAM's yet. 

Ouch. Did you have the 12" screen? If I go Ram, I've decided I wouldn't even consider the 12" screen. 

Good info, especially the late build advice. Maybe I'll just wait for the 2020s to hit both lots and see what happens. 

17 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Because it has 450-hp with much better gas mileage?

It may have 30 more hp, but it has 0% chance of getting better overall fuel mileage than a 6.2, in apples to apples real world conditions.
While they have a lot of power and torque, Ego-boosts need perfect conditions for good mileage; flat or downhill, warm weather, tailwind or no headwind, no trailer or payload, gentle right foot. As soon as any boost builds, fuel mileage goes poof. Since they came out 8 years ago, I have yet to meet or converse with a single real world ego-boost owner that could get the advertised mileage from them. Ford forums are full of complaints about the mileage. The posters that claim good mileage are either Ford employees, or liars.

54 minutes ago, HBKidJr said:

Ouch. Did you have the 12" screen? If I go Ram, I've decided I wouldn't even consider the 12" screen. 

Good info, especially the late build advice. Maybe I'll just wait for the 2020s to hit both lots and see what happens. 

It did not have the 12” screen. It’s was the 8.4, no NAV. Obviously both GM and Ram will have their gremlins. At this point, choose that one that suits you best. There are a little more “issues” being discussed on the Ram forums than I’ve seen here so I think you have to consider that as well. Definitely a later build 19 or a 2020 would make me feel a little better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBKidJr said:

I typically agree with you. I'll tell you, in a perfect world, I would wait until 2020 to get the RST with the 6.2 and ventilated seats. That's really all I want.

Not sure where you read the 2020 RST will have ventilated seats, because I have not seen that info anywhere. I wouldn't count on it. 

This topic is exactly what I have been contemplating for months, as well. My truck is old, so there is no comparing to anything, even the trucks most of you are trading in. But it's a low  mileage, super clean, good running truck, and it does what I need a truck to do. That said, if I were to replace it, I would seriously consider the Ram 1500. I do like F-150's, and the ecoboost has proven to be a great engine, but the interior fit and finish of the Ram's is a notch above both GM and Ford. And it is priced lower than either.

Some tell me not to buy the Ram as they have too many problems, but I bought a new Jeep GC in 2014 and have had zero problems with it. None. It's got the 8 speed ZF trans, multi-function screen with Nav, radio, heat/AC controls, bkluetooth, etc. It all works and always has. 

I would think FCA would be improving on what they've been building for years, so I'm not convinced that they don't build a reliable truck.

So I would say if the trucks looks, comfort and handling suit you, and the numbers are good, I think I'd go for it.

Edited by CaptWill
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Not sure where you read the 2020 RST will have ventilated seats, because I have not seen that info anywhere. I wouldn't count on it. 

They're not getting the ventilated seats. That's just my perfect-world scenario. If they were, I'd totally wait and get the 2020 RST. But unfortunately, I have to up the MSRP to $60k+ to get the ventilated seats in the LTZ/HC/AT4. 

20 hours ago, Smitty said:

Why would you chose a 3.5 ecoboost over a larger displacement 6.2 that barely has to work while the 3.5 is having to use a turbo and whine all the time?  

I'm not saying it's better, although those who live at altitude see a definite turbo advantage. GM has the best engines, but Ford has better options and configurations. I think the 2020 updates will solve 90% of this problem, but the way they set up the trims/equipment for 2019 is asinine. NO ADAPTIVE CRUISE. Standard feature on a >$20k Toyota Corolla. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mandalorian said:

I'm not saying it's better, although those who live at altitude see a definite turbo advantage. GM has the best engines, but Ford has better options and configurations. I think the 2020 updates will solve 90% of this problem, but the way they set up the trims/equipment for 2019 is asinine. NO ADAPTIVE CRUISE. Standard feature on a >$20k Toyota Corolla. 

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but the perfect example of this is ventilated seats not being offered in any Chevy below LTZ. Premium trim (and price) for mundane options.

Edited by HBKidJr
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

It may have 30 more hp, but it has 0% chance of getting better overall fuel mileage than a 6.2, in apples to apples real world conditions.
While they have a lot of power and torque, Ego-boosts need perfect conditions for good mileage; flat or downhill, warm weather, tailwind or no headwind, no trailer or payload, gentle right foot. As soon as any boost builds, fuel mileage goes poof. Since they came out 8 years ago, I have yet to meet or converse with a single real world ego-boost owner that could get the advertised mileage from them. Ford forums are full of complaints about the mileage. The posters that claim good mileage are either Ford employees, or liars.

If I were to keep the boost running, I'd have to keep my gas pedal floored. Frankly, nobody does that. There are times the boost is nice. The 2nd generation 3.5 Ecoboost since 2018 is better. My 2016 F-150 with the V-8 got similar gas mileage as the 1st generation V-6 Ecoboost. I also wanted stronger engine braking so the 2.7 and 3.5 were out for me. I know several satisfied 2nd generation Ecoboost owners. I understand it gets worse gas mileage if it's towing a trailer compared to a V-8. Even here, a lot have pointed out the Ecoboost is a lot quicker than the 6.2. I really don't care about the power, it's the gas mileage I want and I've been doing really good with my Silverado.

2 hours ago, HBKidJr said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but the perfect example of this is ventilated seats not being offered in any Chevy below LTZ. Premium trim (and price) for mundane options.

It’s not beating a dead horse because it’s 100% true. GM’s packaging department is brain-dead. For all they do poorly, Ford and FCA are masters of options/packaging. Just take something like the Grand Cherokee or Challenger, literally something there for every budget and taste. Can still get good features on lower/mid trim models without having to hit a big price cliff. The F-150 has long been the best packaged truck with the trims and options.

• Like 1