Talk me out of a Ram.

3 hours ago, HBKidJr said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but the perfect example of this is ventilated seats not being offered in any Chevy below LTZ. Premium trim (and price) for mundane options.

Ford doesn't offer them in anything less than a Lariat, Ram doesn't offer them on anything lower than a Laramie. GM isn't doing anything different from anyone else in this aspect. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jlong1984 said:

Ford doesn't offer them in anything less than a Lariat, Ram doesn't offer them on anything lower than a Laramie. GM isn't doing anything different from anyone else in this aspect. 

Except those trucks start at about a $10k lower price point.

9 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Logic would dictate that I cannot talk you out of a new Ram. 

(No matter what HondaHawkGT thinks.)  :rollin:

Coming from the guy that thinks that Toyota and GM bought their way to the top of JD Power's quality rankings, but Ram is stuck at the bottom of the list because apparently FCA can't come up with the money. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HBKidJr said:

I've heard the A/C on the 19s is pretty subpar

Not so, I have absolutely no complaints about mine, front or rear air. Ice cold

• Like 1

I'd like to give my two cents on the resale value.

I'm in the boat of the long term truck owners.

Right now I'm indecisive whether to get a new truck at the end of the year or not.

Reason is that I'm concerned about any current trucks resale value, since the electric trucks are pushing into the marked.

I'm holding on to my '13 no mater what and use it for work.

It's just that I'd like to have a truck for straight personal use. And I'm seriously considering to wait another two or three years and see how the electric trucks play out.

so long

j-ten-ner

59 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Except those trucks start at about a $10k lower price point.

F-150 Lariat Supercab starts at $41,700

Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab starts at $40,290

Silverado LTZ Double Cab starts at $44,595

So yes, the other trucks are cheaper than the Chevy, but not $10,000 cheaper. Lariat and Laramie are direct competitors to the LTZ/SLT trim. 

1 hour ago, HondaHawkGT said:

Coming from the guy that thinks that Toyota and GM bought their way to the top of JD Power's quality rankings, but Ram is stuck at the bottom of the list because apparently FCA can't come up with the money. :rolleyes:

That's why I like the ignore feature. Don't have to listen to drivel anymore. Ram is crap, listen to the owners! It's common knowledge. Geez.

• Haha 1

I don't know if any other current 2019 Ram 1500 owners have responded yet, but here goes.

I have had Silverados since 1992.  4 of them to be exact.  My last one being a 2014 LTZ.  When the lease was up on my 2014 in September of 2018, I first wanted to get a new 2019 Silverado or Sierra.  Dealers were wanting top dollar.  Would not come off their prices by even $1000.  So, I drove my 2014 silverado over to the Dodge dealer to look at a 2019 (redesign) Ram 1500 Laramie.

It is the Delmonico red with sport package, e-Torque Hemi, 4x4 black interior.  No 12 inch screen, no panoramic sunroof.  I had read about sunroof leaks and big screen issues.  We were able to get this truck for $48k out the door and they gave me another 5k off for the silverado even though it was a lease buyout.  No way I was going to pay nearly $10k more just to stay with GM.

I have to tell you, after 13,000 miles and 10 months, this truck has been trouble free.  Yes, I know there was a seat belt recall.  Big deal.  No problems with the U-connect system or the e-Torque system.  I see where some are warning you about the AC system.  I have not had any problems with mine.

My wife drives it 90% of the time as I prefer to drive my ZL1.  But she loves this truck.  It is comfortable, roomy makes good power and can tow my Camaro to the track.  So, let the haters hate, this has been a fine truck.  If I had one thing to nit-pick about, it is the "promise" of e-Torque.  It was supposed to save about 2mpg.  That is bull.  I see really no difference between the gas mileage of the e-Torque and non-e-Torque engines.  I think it was a sales gimmick to make more money.  

So, get whichever truck is the best deal.  That is really the best advice anyone can give you.

Edited by steveved
  • Like 7

I switched to RAM myself after owning 4 Chevys and a GMC.  I bought a 2019 Limited 4x4 with pretty much every option but RAM boxes.  I've put almost 15k miles on it and it has only been back to the dealer for the free oil changes and tire rotations.  I have the 12" screen and it has worked well since day one.  The interface is fast, responsive, and easy to use.  The eTorque option makes the start/stop system pretty much unnoticeable when it restarts the truck. No, i don't get the advertised MPG shown on the monroney sticker, but with 3.92 gears, I didn't expect it 

The biggest thing for me is the transmission.  Having gone from the 8-speed in my Denali to the RAM's is a huge upgrade.  The RAM shifts more smoothly and is shudder and clunk free.  I had my GMC in to the dealer 5 times in 3.5 years for the transmission and never had the problem resolved.  

I do miss the 6.2's power, the Hemi is smooth and has plenty of power, but it's not on the same level.  No truck is perfect, not even Toyota (ask my neighbor).  I picked what worked for me and have been happy to this point.  I'm hopeful that the new 10 speed trans works out over the next few years so that I can take a look at a GM truck again (as long as they update the interior).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DallasZ71 said:

I switched to RAM myself after owning 4 Chevys and a GMC.  I bought a 2019 Limited 4x4 with pretty much every option but RAM boxes.  I've put almost 15k miles on it and it has only been back to the dealer for the free oil changes and tire rotations.  I have the 12" screen and it has worked well since day one.  The interface is fast, responsive, and easy to use.  The eTorque option makes the start/stop system pretty much unnoticeable when it restarts the truck. No, i don't get the advertised MPG shown on the monroney sticker, but with 3.92 gears, I didn't expect it 

The biggest thing for me is the transmission.  Having gone from the 8-speed in my Denali to the RAM's is a huge upgrade.  The RAM shifts more smoothly and is shudder and clunk free.  I had my GMC in to the dealer 5 times in 3.5 years for the transmission and never had the problem resolved.  

I do miss the 6.2's power, the Hemi is smooth and has plenty of power, but it's not on the same level.  No truck is perfect, not even Toyota (ask my neighbor).  I picked what worked for me and have been happy to this point.  I'm hopeful that the new 10 speed trans works out over the next few years so that I can take a look at a GM truck again (as long as they update the interior).  

How would you compare the Ram with 3.92s and the 5.7 to the 6.2?

17 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

Half the guys here spend a considerable amount of time and energy ragging on Ford and Ram for having poor long-term reliability, meanwhile they're the same ones buying a brand new truck every 1-3 years. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, HBKidJr said:

A good amount slower, on par with the 5.3 per tests. Motortrend got a new Hemi through the 1/4 at 14.7 at 93.7 mph while they got a new 5.3 Silverado through there at 14.9 at 94.6 mph. Previous years were about the same stats with the 5.3 edging them out. Although the 5.7 is their top engine it is comparable to the 5.3 not 6.2 but it does move out just fine as does the 5.3 and not wanting for power.

Tyler

1 hour ago, HBKidJr said:

6.2 with 3.21's was quicker and more fuel efficient for sure.  The GMC also weighed quite a bit less.  Match the 6.2 with the ZF 8 speed and you'd have a winner.  Put 3.92's behind it and I'd have to buy new tires every month.

4 hours ago, DallasZ71 said:

Thanks for the write up and congrats . Very nice truck.