Talk me out of a Ram.

I'll give you some anecdotal information as I've never owned one.

However, I ran two CJDR service departments. I'm sure someone running a GM service department may have a similar opinion given what goes wrong with our rigs.

But with Ram, parts allocations, electrical problems, water leaks (I use to live in the PNW), air suspension issues, I could go on.. That steered me away from the pretty interiors and soft ride.

Personally, I feel you can't go wrong with a GM or Toyota truck. Both have treated me right and I've beat the piss out of my old 4Runner and 2002 Tahoe. I've seen Rams break with a lot less thrown at them.

I'm a previous owner of 5 F150's. Stay away from the 2018 and newer 5.0L

Go to an F150 forum and look at all the problems. I traded in my 2018 5.0L after 8 months. Sunroof tracks breaking, 5.0L burning oil, windshield leaks, wavy aluminum body panels, etc

The EcoPoop has it's own share of problems. Ford took what was once a rock solid truck and destroyed it.

Edited by FDHog

A friend of mine made this comment: you choose what you want to replace when you choose which truck you buy. 

Ford: electrical and engines

Ram: transmissions

GM: front end suspension and steering components

I know which of those three sounds like the least hassle to me but, again, it's ultimately your decision. 

3 hours ago, Foghorn17 said:

Totally agree.  If you are going to jump ship from GM, you might as well see what all the competition offers.  If you do Ford, be a little leery of the 5.0....oil burning issues in 18's & 19s. so I hear. 

The 3.5 Ecoboost is really the one to get, it's a beast, especially the HO version in the Raptor and Limited.

I had a 2014 RAM Sport. At 62k miles I traded for a GMC AT4 6.2L. I don't regret it at all, but there are some trade-offs. For instance, grabbing the door handle to unlock the door. You have to push a button on the GMC. Automatic wipers were a pain at times when they came on when you didn't want them on, but when its raining and they would automatically adjust the speed, that was nice. The storage bins under the floor in the crew cab was nice. The Hemi.

All in all, I love my AT4 though and don't regret getting it.

1 hour ago, HapaTrailBoss said:

I'll give you some anecdotal information as I've never owned one.

However, I ran two CJDR service departments. I'm sure someone running a GM service department may have a similar opinion given what goes wrong with our rigs.

But with Ram, parts allocations, electrical problems, water leaks (I use to live in the PNW), air suspension issues, I could go on.. That steered me away from the pretty interiors and soft ride.

Personally, I feel you can't go wrong with a GM or Toyota truck. Both have treated me right and I've beat the piss out of my old 4Runner and 2002 Tahoe. I've seen Rams break with a lot less thrown at them.

RAM service words of choice....national backorder.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HBKidJr said:

I'm a 4th generation GM owner. I've always owned GM. My dad had always owned GM. His dad, and so on. I've been looking at getting a new truck for a couple months, as you've all seen by my posts lately. I love that 6.2L. Honestly though, I haven't been super impressed with this gen, as far as appearance goes, and even though I don't praise the other manufacturers for "superior interiors" like the media does, I can admit that I'm kind of tired of the simple, similar interior, since I'm coming from a 2014. 

Over the weekend, I test drove a Ram. I didn't want to. The dealership literally begged me to. I was circling through the lot and a salesman came out and before I could even say I was there for my wife to look at a Jeep, he was asking me what number it would take to get me in a Ram. My response: "A magical number." After handing me the keys to a beautiful blue truck, he said if I drove it, I would love it. I was skeptical, so I said sure.

He was wrong. I didn't love it. But...I liked it alot. It was smooth and quiet. Power was good. Not 6.2L level, but good. Seats were very comfortable. So I decided to listen to their pitch. 

MSRP was $55,000. By the time they calculated my trade (good time to mention that they were offering me ALOT more for my truck than the GM lots I've been talking to), I was down to about $28,000, out the door, for a brand new truck. 

So I ask you all to talk me out of it. I admittedly don't know alot about the durability and reliability of these trucks as I've never had one.

I liked that it had ventilated seats available on every trim level. Actually, more flexible options for every trim level in general. I didn't like that I couldn't get the surround camera system that GM offers. I also don't care for the gigantic screen option on the Ram, but I drove the 8.2" screen version, and enjoyed it. I keep hearing that the large screen has been having issues and can sometimes keep you from being able to even change the a/c settings when it crashes. I liked the wheel options on the Ram so much more than anything I've seen on the GM trucks. I honestly can't find a factory wheel on any trim level in any size on either truck that I like. I can't say the same for the Ram. I didn't like the lack of the 6.2. That's still my big kicker. I wish I could have a direct comparison between the two, as far as response and take off. I will say that if they offered the 6.4 Hemi in the 1500, I probably would've left the lot that day in a Ram. I also don't like the 8 speed trans in the Ram, but apparently it's not one of the big issues they've been having. 

To get into any GM truck with ventilated seats, my MSRP instantly rises to $60k. And of all the dealers I've talked to over the past two months or so, which is in the double digits by now, they don't seem motivated to sell. Local lots are only knocking off a couple grand off MSRP and will straight up deny they can go any lower when we sit down, so i leave. Online lots are showing some good prices, but no where near what the Ram can get down to.

So talk me out of it. Or talk me into it. Or talk some sense into me. Give me some comparisons, things to look for, things I wouldn't be happy with. Let me know what you think of the 5.7 Hemi VS the 6.2.

I'm probably the best guy to hear from on this, since I just traded in my 2019 Ram for a 2019 Trail Boss! I can tell you only from my experience, that I had a lot of issues with my Ram! I had about every TSB you could imagine, AC didn't blow cold, transmission has a shudder/shake when riding the brake at low speed and when backing up, had a really loud clank when starting the motor about 1-2 out of every 10 starts!

I'll be honest, the interior is fantastic on the Ram - really the only reason I bought it. Something I notice right away in going from a Laramie to a Trail Boss. The seats in the Ram are more comfortable. However, the trade value was terrible, the dealerships are terrible, and the truck has A LOT of issues. Perhaps mine was a lemon, so take it for what it's worth. Disclaimer, my brand new Silverado that I purchased this Saturday night is in service having the infotainment system replaced! Hopefully, this is a fluke.  Otherwise, while the interior isn't as "nice," it's functional and I like it. Motor is super smooth, and once transmission learning is complete, should be a great truck!

Edited by Mjharden

My reason for the Chevrolet Silverado wasn't because of reliability or just because I liked the way it looked. I bought it because it holds its value very well. That was why I owned Ford F-150's but the new models are selling like hotcakes so I expect that to impact the resale value. I also liked the $10k off of my 2019 Chevrolet RST 4x4 with Z71.

I confess... I am secretly happy that Dodge/Ram is beating Chevrolet. That means fewer 2019's out there and stronger resale value down the road.

I just looked at used vehicles in cars.com, 500 mile radius from where I am, only 2012 to 2013 models with less than 50,000 miles, and it has to be 4x4.

I picked:

Chevrolet Silverado
Ford F-150
GMC Sierra
RAM 1500

The four cheapest used trucks are all RAM. The cheapest Chevrolet is $8,050 more than the cheapest RAM. Suddenly, that $15,000 incentive at the dealership ain't so hot when Chevrolet is offering $10,000. Here is the list:

2013 RAM 1500 Tradesman with 30,182 mi. - $18,550
2012 RAM 1500 Express with 27,316 mi. - $19,900
2012 RAM 1500 ST with 26,853 mi. - $21,915
2013 RAM 1500 Tradesman/Express with 44,344 mi. - $22,788
2012 RAM 1500 SLT with 38,532 mi. - $23,430
2013 Ford F-150 XLT with 46,042 mi. - $23,493
2013 RAM 1500 Tradesman/Express with 17,156 mi. - $24,200
2013 Ford F-150 XLT with 43,000 mi. - $24,995
2013 RAM 1500 Laramie with 36,304 mi. - $26,485
2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE with 46,264 mi. - $26,501
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT with 38,233 mi. - $26,600
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 with 43,420 mi. - $27,981
2013 Ford F-150 XLT with 37,917 mi. - $27,999
2012 Ford F-150 Lariat with 46,741 mi. - $28,995
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 with 42,104 mi. - $28,997
2012 RAM 1500 Laramie with 30,804 mi. - $29,000
2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ with 39,028 mi. - $29,995
2012 Ford F-150 XLT with 42,604 mi. - $29,995
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 with 24,518 mi. - $29,995
2013 Ford F-150 Lariat with 23,561 mi. - $31,988
2013 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn Edition with 43,907 mi. - $31,998
2013 Ford F-150 Limited with 38,649 mi. - $32,375
2013 RAM 1500 Laramie with 28,412 mi. - $32,700
2013 Ford F-150 XL with 35,932 mi. - $33,355
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 with 29,190 mi. - $33,998
2013 Ford F-150 Lariat with 32,792 mi. - $37,995
2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor with 49,200 mi. - $41,000
2012 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor with 24,945 mi. - $47,900

Edited by Wiggums
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

The 3.5 Ecoboost is really the one to get, it's a beast, especially the HO version in the Raptor and Limited.

Why would you chose a 3.5 ecoboost over a larger displacement 6.2 that barely has to work while the 3.5 is having to use a turbo and whine all the time?  

• Like 1

Just now, Smitty said:

Why would you chose a 3.5 ecoboost over a larger displacement 6.2 that barely has to work while the 3.5 is having to use a turbo and whine all the time?  

Because it has 450-hp with much better gas mileage?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

You think it's that great!!!

Go to the F150 Forum. Timing chain rattles etc.

My dad has had three RAMs, 13 gas 3.6, 15 eco and 18 gas 3.6.I drive it quite often, the longest run from OKC to South Jersey. Ram #1 dropped a tranny, but otherwise solid.The eco was a toad to drive and $$$ for maintaining. The 18 is sweet. I do think the 3.6 is the better engine. It's sister is the 3.5 mercedes. Not too sure about the long term MDS on the hemi. 

As far as ford, they don't all burn oil. My 17 2.7 eco leaked oil. Four oil pans (they are tupperware like plastic) and i went to a december built GMC SLT 18 with a die cast aluminum oil pan and no turbos. 

I think the ford has the best ad campaign.. the best handling truck, but stay away from the turbos. I also blew a radiator apart... on my 2.7. 

The GM is solid, more an industrial vehicle than the ford. I would not buy another Ford... 29 days in the shop in less than two years. How GM got the 5.3 to do as well as it does on the hwy mileage is astounding. Mine has a 3.08 ring gear, and always punches above 20 mpg. So far the only demerit on the GMC has been the fill on the rear. GM saved way too much on the lube, and i saved it to remind me how we can be pennywise but pound foolish on a truck that was $56k and i paid $39k. GM.. RAMS... then Ford if you have to.

I've had three F-150s and five GM trucks. I've only had major issues with one, my '14 Silverado, which had the dreaded driveline vibration. I've never owned a Ram, however, I have had family members who've owned Chrysler products, including Ram trucks, both from before the Fiat merger and after. They're junk, you couldn't give me one and nobody will change my mind. Nobody I've ever talked to in person has had anything good to say about their experience with Chrysler. 

My .02

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

Because it has 450-hp with much better gas mileage?

Care you provide your "much better gas mileage" source? Checking Fuelly even though it can't be as specific with the HO version of the 3.5 (the one with 450 HP) so I will be generous and take the 3.5 as a whole as I am sure the less powerful versions are more fuel efficient. Fuelly lists the overall average of that motor in the F150 at 17 mpg where the 6.2 Silverado is at 18 mpg (with a smaller sample size because of availability). Using C&D test results they got 14 mpg in the HO V6 F150 while the Silverado got 16 mpg out of the 6.2 but the F150 was 0.3 faster to 60. It really can't be argued how the two motors will stand up long term to work when you have a little 3.5L V6 getting two hairdryers worth of air crammed down its throat for 200k versus a 6.2L V8 lazily chugging along I can promise which one will last longer. I will take that all day versus 0.3 tenths to 60 and worse mpg which the ecoboost is known to produce...

Tyler

• Like 1