In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

FishinDVM

Add me to the fuel injectors list...

2014 Sierra 1500 AT 5.3/L83 @ 88K. So I'm still on powertrain warranty for 3 more months. Not done making payments yet. I do 0W-20 Mobil 1 full synthetic every 5K, 89 octane gas. I had a p050d and a p0308 on and off for a few weeks. Cleaned MAF, new PCV, cleaned throttle body, new air filter, BG 44k in gas, new plugs, new wires, swapped out coil packs, and finally a BG 3 part air/fuel cleaning for carbon deposits at a shop by my house... and codes still there... so off to the dealership it was. They said I needed new injectors on #7 and #8. I had them replace all 8 while there. As I'm sure you all know, it requires removing the intake to get to them, so it's a time consuming process that honestly I felt was outside of my usual skill set. Just thought I would share.

Also, I have an AC condenser that leaks at the same weld spot as everyone elses. I know everyone has their own opinions on this, but I'll probably be leaving GM after this. I know all manufactures have their issues, but I'm north of 35 years old, have had a few vehicles, and dont recall so many SHARED PROBLEMS. Meaning, if I encounter an issue, sure enough I'll either see a service bulletin for it, or a ton of pages of people with the same thing. Rather than make this complicated, I'll keep it simple. People spending 50k on new vehicles shouldnt be shelling out $1000+ dollar repairs, for issues CLEARLY shared by MANY trucks, for a company that doesnt seem to be owning up to the problems at all, and you arent even done paying off your vehicle yet. Not only is this true, but if anything, GM went out of their way to make sure the injectors are NOT covered under the powertrain, and they recently DECREASED the powertrain on the 2016 and newer from 5yr/100k to 3yr(60 or 80k I believe?)... wonder why?

For all those who defend GM, I would actually agree with you, IF... IF... IF... GM sold these vehicles like this:

Here is your new truck, you must use 93 octane always, change the oil every 3K, install an oil catch can, perform a BG air/fuel cleaning every 15K miles, and oh yes, it's a great feature to have our engine go into V4 mode, but dont use it, dont use it ever... actually... run a tuner or program it out so it never ever goes into V4, eventhough it will alter your warranty by doing so. Do all this, and you might make it. You'll have vibrations, seat movement, and a leaking AC condenser like everyone else, that we wont help you with... but... the engine will be ok... or at least check back with us after 100k and we will see. If GM mentioned this from the start, then people deserve it. Actually, in the future, when this vehicle goes, unless they have a newer Truck model/company that has proven super reliable, I'm gonna get one of the old 1980s model suburbans, find a frame with minimal to no rust and just spend the money to replace everything... new engine, trans, bucket leather seats, AC, etc... and when it's all said and done I'll still have an easy 25k left over on something that will actually last.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I agree with you 100%... I think that so many people have an ego bigger than the size of Texas and are never going to admit they have made a mistake or they will swear that their truck is perfect

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I have used 92/93 octane gasoline since purchasing my truck new.  At 30,000 miles - in May of this year -

truck displayed the P050D code on 3 separate occasions.

Dealer cleared the first - second went away on it's own after about 8-10 days.  Dealer said replace all 8 injectors.

Thank goodness I purchased the GMPP - GM Protection Plan - which covered this repair.  I almost didn't purchase

the extended warranty at time of purchase.  Well this is one time it paid for itself.  Cost me $200 deductible.

I agree - too many issues with these expensive vehicles.

Edited by 14GMCZ71

1 hour ago, FishinDVM said:

2014 Sierra 1500 AT 5.3/L83 @ 88K. So I'm still on powertrain warranty for 3 more months. Not done making payments yet. I do 0W-20 Mobil 1 full synthetic every 5K, 89 octane gas. I had a p050d and a p0308 on and off for a few weeks. Cleaned MAF, new PCV, cleaned throttle body, new air filter, BG 44k in gas, new plugs, new wires, swapped out coil packs, and finally a BG 3 part air/fuel cleaning for carbon deposits at a shop by my house... and codes still there... so off to the dealership it was. They said I needed new injectors on #7 and #8. I had them replace all 8 while there. As I'm sure you all know, it requires removing the intake to get to them, so it's a time consuming process that honestly I felt was outside of my usual skill set. Just thought I would share.

Also, I have an AC condenser that leaks at the same weld spot as everyone elses. I know everyone has their own opinions on this, but I'll probably be leaving GM after this. I know all manufactures have their issues, but I'm north of 35 years old, have had a few vehicles, and dont recall so many SHARED PROBLEMS. Meaning, if I encounter an issue, sure enough I'll either see a service bulletin for it, or a ton of pages of people with the same thing. Rather than make this complicated, I'll keep it simple. People spending 50k on new vehicles shouldnt be shelling out $1000+ dollar repairs, for issues CLEARLY shared by MANY trucks, for a company that doesnt seem to be owning up to the problems at all, and you arent even done paying off your vehicle yet. Not only is this true, but if anything, GM went out of their way to make sure the injectors are NOT covered under the powertrain, and they recently DECREASED the powertrain on the 2016 and newer from 5yr/100k to 3yr(60 or 80k I believe?)... wonder why?

For all those who defend GM, I would actually agree with you, IF... IF... IF... GM sold these vehicles like this:

Here is your new truck, you must use 93 octane always, change the oil every 3K, install an oil catch can, perform a BG air/fuel cleaning every 15K miles, and oh yes, it's a great feature to have our engine go into V4 mode, but dont use it, dont use it ever... actually... run a tuner or program it out so it never ever goes into V4, eventhough it will alter your warranty by doing so. Do all this, and you might make it. You'll have vibrations, seat movement, and a leaking AC condenser like everyone else, that we wont help you with... but... the engine will be ok... or at least check back with us after 100k and we will see. If GM mentioned this from the start, then people deserve it. Actually, in the future, when this vehicle goes, unless they have a newer Truck model/company that has proven super reliable, I'm gonna get one of the old 1980s model suburbans, find a frame with minimal to no rust and just spend the money to replace everything... new engine, trans, bucket leather seats, AC, etc... and when it's all said and done I'll still have an easy 25k left over on something that will actually last.

You Sir said what so many should say, but won't! Well said sir. 

Sorry to hear about your issues with your truck brother, yes it certainly is incredibly disappointing when I hear of these stories.   Some of these trucks cost as much as a home in certain parts of the country.   Sad when a manufacturer doesn’t stand behind their product, especially when the problem is widespread and well known.  Loyalty means squat nowadays.....

Hope you get it sorted out....

unfortunatly all the brands have serious issue, this is why most people lease or just use uber and lift when thier bike wont make it.  we're at the point where there is so much technology in our trucks that they have become unreliable. 

I alway tell people looking for a new truck to buy one that is the pre Direct injection. (2010-2014) GM TRUCK ALSO HAVE ISSUES BUT MUCH CHEAPER TO FIX.   if you want to jump boat i recommend Toyota Tundra over Dodge.  otherwise get the search out a low milage Dodge Ram from 2003-2007 years when Mercedes Benz owned them.  Fiat is a cluster **** , stay away from that Dodge shit.

I also would expect them to have a new type of injector... but no. Of course not. I specifically asked if there is a new model/type replacing the old?, but it's the same OEM. In other words, it's just like the AC condenser... why throw the same thing in there to have the same problem X miles down the road??? Its going to keep happening.

***They need a group of smart guys to make a new auto company***. Crazy right? But I'm serious. Think about this. Just give us a real frame, a LONG proven engine/transmission, real thick leather, and a cold AC. You can keep the park assist, alerts, lane detection, auto parking, heated steering wheels, TVs in the seats, chipping lead free paint, etc... etc... etc... I mean seriously. I CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE WHO FEELS THIS WAY!?!?!?!?! Why should I and so many others want/need to go build a quality truck/SUV like this piece by piece, when a smart company could easily offer such a thing and sell the f**k out of it but they dont?

Is it just the 6.2 with injector issues? 

My cousin has 14 5.3 Silverado. Owned since new. Does minimal maintenance. Oil changes are when OLM says change. He now has 136k on it. No problems other than battery dead 3 years in. 

Posted (edited)

My 2018 6.2 only has 8k miles. I planed on keeping it for many years 10 or more. If it still has good value in 3 - 5 years I may sell or trade in, especially if it gives me any trouble. 

So far been good except:

for all the reports of shattering rear sliding window (I pulled fuse).

Drivers door window rattles when closed. If I roll it down a touch then no rattles.

Cab protection adhesive strips between bed and rear of cab are Peeling. Dealer says they will have to pull bed to put new ones on. Putting that off for now. 

Lurches forward when in park and cold start. 8l90 transmission. 

Edited by 2018GMC

Anyone thinking of buying any new vehicle should always max out the extended warranty. Especially if you don't fix things yourself. As far as injectors I had 2 go out and replaced under warranty. the tech in new vehicles does cost a lot but component issues are in every manufacturers lineup. Nothing has changed except the knife edge the new tech is balanced on.I'm sure you all remember the plugged up smog motors that burned up and warped heads at ~71k right. ...The SUX2000 comes to mind ;-)

if more issue happen on the direct injectors, you can switch the fuel system to propane injection, no injectors needed just a mixer and a couple regulators...more octane.. and a big tank in the bed...

I would seriously start looking for an older truck model.. even build an old square body mid 80's silverado , a new trans and a new 350 carberureted motor probably cost you $4000

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, FishinDVM said:

Well said. I agree with you 100%. My 2014 has been the same. Every problem its had has been a well known problem across the truck/SUV line. 

Edited by RE1

I heard/read that a coolant temp sensor on the block can cause misfire codes. Not sure how true it is but its a cheap and easy job to change it.

Something about wrong temp putting truck into lean mode then not firing properly which looks like a misfire to the computer and so on..

I feel you man, I am in my 30's as well and we didn't have issues like these, ever. Not even with the 2000's trucks. The problem is now, everything is computer controlled through modules that have major software issues and require constant "updates". They are effectively computers now, you need computers to tell you how to fix them, and the mechanics now need schooling updates every few years to maintain the computer knowledge to work on these things. Mechanics now are half way to being code writers, where when we were young, there were about 5-10 common problems a vehicle could have, and we could diagnose and fix most of them at home over a beer or two. Not the case these days. And unfortunately it is the same case with all manufactures. The other issues with AFM and such come from the EPA's demands for better economy at a rate which automakers cant keep up with. Who suffers as a result of rushed technology? Us. The other half is marketing, the makers realize that if they all put out crap, you will have no choice but to trade to stay under warranty, which means a never-ending and always increasing car payment, or pay them in the long run after warranty. They used to last 20 years easy, now your lucky to get 10 years out of one and come out with the shirt on your back. Oh, and they are 3x the cost of the reliable 90's trucks too. What a world. 

You are right, the only way to have a reliable vehicle these days is to build an old one.

14 hours ago, 2018GMC said:

Is it just the 6.2 with injector issues? 

My cousin has 14 5.3 Silverado. Owned since new. Does minimal maintenance. Oil changes are when OLM says change. He now has 136k on it. No problems other than battery dead 3 years in. 

My friend just totaled his 14 with 5.3. 111,11 on it and nothing else but oil changes.