Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

FishinDVM

Add me to the fuel injectors list...

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

 Great write up of 100% BS 

Specifically which part is BS? The AFM causing a high rate of engine failures? GDI causing carbon build up on the intakes? The fact that GM shortened their powertrain warranty?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Capt Bob said:

Well the warranty in 2003 (my last truck)was 3 yrs. 36,000 miles. They increased the warranty (2007 ?) for two distinct reasons. First and foremost was to create the perception that they didn't build a POS and second to lift sagging sales due to the first. Well when sales didn't skyrocket  (remain somewhat flat) they decided to reduce the warranty (2016?).

The warranty for any object isn't based on how well it works but rather a marketing tool for sales. Why offer a huge warranty? To bolster sales. If it doesn't work, why offer it? This is Marketing 101 and that's why the warranty decreased. To think there is some hidden agenda there is Oliver Stone stuff. Marketing pure and simple. The product isn't really any different (life expectancy wise) from 2003 so why offer an inflated warranty unless sales reflect it works.

Agree with this and my thoughts also.

The vehicles of today are more complicated due to gov mandates.

All the whining gets old.

Nothing is perfect.

Any manufacturer of any product will make some bad ones when you make lots of that product.

 

Buying another brand vehicle because you had a bad experience with GM is just rolling the dice.

I guess I have been lucky in 50 years of used vehicle ownership because I have never had major drive train problems.

I have owned only GM and in recent years Honda with no complaints.

 

:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mite add 5.7 diesel, 6.2 and 6.5 diesels. We had those nightmares. I’m the only one in my family that still bought GM. I will stay away from cylinder deactivation of any kind. Start stop technology. Anything that may save a little fuel but adds cost if-when they fail.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Agree with this and my thoughts also.

The vehicles of today are more complicated due to gov mandates.

All the whining gets old.

Nothing is perfect.

Any manufacturer of any product will make some bad ones when you make lots of that product.

 

Buying another brand vehicle because you had a bad experience with GM is just rolling the dice.

I guess I have been lucky in 50 years of used vehicle ownership because I have never had major drive train problems.

I have owned only GM and in recent years Honda with no complaints.

 

:)

 

Question....How many of your GM vehicles were BRAND NEW?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None.

I have always bought used vehicles because I will not pay up for new and then take the depreciation in the first few years of ownership.

Just giving money away rubs me wrong.

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Baytrucker said:

They did this because their engine is inherently flawed in two ways, and there is no easy fix

Basically, to fix these two major engine problems, GM has to redesign their engine. Its easier just to shorten the warranty.

 

 

Whether the engine design is flawed or not isn't the reason for shorting the warranty. If that in fact were true, we'd all be driving  Nissan Titans. Best warranty in the truck world. Why aren't we (as in every truck owner regardless of brand loyalty) doing this? Please explain.

Edited by Capt Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my first Hyundai in 05 because of the warranty. I still have it and 3 more since. If I was looking for a truck now I’d give the Nissan a look for price and warranty.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I bought my first Hyundai in 05 because of the warranty. I still have it and 3 more since. If I was looking for a truck now I’d give the Nissan a look for price and warranty.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for making my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I bought my first Hyundai in 05 because of the warranty. I still have it and 3 more since. If I was looking for a truck now I’d give the Nissan a look for price and warranty.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddy had a Nissan, spent as much time in the dealers garage as his.  Has had no issues with his Ford now.  They all have issues.  Wait until the new car smell wears off on that Tundra and you realize how much more comfortable your old seats were and how much better your old truck ran.  I had a Tundra, really nice drive train, not too comfy of a ride.  My current 16 5.3 Sierra has eaten 2 FI in 26,000 miles, my 3year 36 is up in 2 months.  We'll see how this goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buddy had a Nissan, spent as much time in the dealers garage as his.  Has had no issues with his Ford now.  They all have issues.  Wait until the new car smell wears off on that Tundra and you realize how much more comfortable your old seats were and how much better your old truck ran.  I had a Tundra, really nice drive train, not too comfy of a ride.  My current 16 5.3 Sierra has eaten 2 FI in 26,000 miles, my 3year 36 is up in 2 months.  We'll see how this goes.

I’ve never owned a tundra. We had several little Toyota trucks in the 80s. They were tough as nails. I generally bought trucks for work. It usually came down to price. Because of miles I traded every 2-3 years. If I was in the market, I wouldn’t be I’m retired. I wouldn’t be a cylinder deactivation engine. So that leaves me with Nissan, Ford and Toyota. I don’t like all the gimmicks. That’s why I drive a Camry and a old Chevy truck.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KARNUT said:


I’ve never owned a tundra. We had several little Toyota trucks in the 80s. They were tough as nails.

 

Yes they were.  Very uncomfortable for us tall guys but their powertrain was VERY respectable for reliability yet shitty power. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/07/2019 at 4:50 PM, KARNUT said:

I bought my first Hyundai in 05 because of the warranty. I still have it and 3 more since. If I was looking for a truck now I’d give the Nissan a look for price and warranty.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried pricing out a Titan on the Nissan website and it was over $60k CAD just to get heated seats. Can get an LTZ/SLT for that kind of money. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I tried pricing out a Titan on the Nissan website and it was over $60k CAD just to get heated seats. Can get an LTZ/SLT for that kind of money. 

I always bought my trucks at the end of model year. I’m seeing big discounts on Nissans currently. Depending on what their warranty actually covers and the cost of additional bumper to bumper coverage. And the possibility of failure with all the additional changes to all trucks I would definitely give them a look. I never bought a tundra. If I was going to buy a new truck and keep pass warranty the Tundra would be it. Precisely because they are slow with changes and their reputation. Otherwise I would buy the longest warranty and trade at the end of.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KARNUT said:


I always bought my trucks at the end of model year. I’m seeing big discounts on Nissans currently. Depending on what their warranty actually covers and the cost of additional bumper to bumper coverage. And the possibility of failure with all the additional changes to all trucks I would definitely give them a look. I never bought a tundra. If I was going to buy a new truck and keep pass warranty the Tundra would be it. Precisely because they are slow with changes and their reputation. Otherwise I would buy the longest warranty and trade at the end of.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got $13k off MSRP on the 2018 Sierra I just bought, which is pretty good in Canada, and it still has the 5 year, 160k km (100k mile) powertrain warranty, rather than the 100k km/60k mile one they went to for 2019.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.