Rear Axle Replacement Question

If you have the "Chevy Shake" eliminating all associated components would be "who" of you.  For another 100.00 bucks new bearings, seals etc. hardware installed along with the axles is the way to go.  If it still shakes after that "treatment" you will know it's not those components and your not going back in there?  I would and it's a great question.  I don't know how your vehicle is driven either or how long your going own it...but I would most definitely replace bearings & seals. 

5 hours ago, Darksky said:

“The shake is from the out of calibrated ECU”  -Flying Fool.  huh?

My feet hurt.

You, Sir. Need a new hat.

there is more variable with the new Direct injection system than the rest of the driveline . axles would be the last part i would replace, atleast mount up the  "out or balance" axle on a v-block and dial gauge it

13 hours ago, flyingfool said:

there is more variable with the new Direct injection system than the rest of the driveline .

I must be misunderstanding your position. 

Cleaning and facilitating fast, uniform, dense airflow is huge. Media blasting the intake, scrubbing crap off the back of the valves. Cleaning the MAF (some even de-screened it). All of that has value. Where you lose me is in prescribing ECU calibration/intake maintenance as a “fix” for a known driveline issue like the “Chevy Shakes”.

I’m not being smarmy here or being a troll. In my mind, the Shakes is a manifestation of a group of errors working in concert to cause/allow that terrible vibration.    

Such as:

-long, cheap, weak ultralight driveshaft

-lightweight, poorly speced leaf springs (especially on lifted 1500 trucks)

-overall poor quality control regarding tolerances of parts in differentials to include brakes & rotors

-out of balance wheels/tires

-piss poor OEM upgrade shocks

-some have complained about motor/trans mounts

-and finally slapdash assembly

I’m certain this list isn’t comprehensive. 

While I agree that I wouldn’t start with replacing axle shafts. I have seen several members here post that their OEM axles were out of spec. So, replacing them isn’t outlandish. Especially if you are far down the list of attempted repairs.

I’m lucky. My truck doesn’t shake. However, strengthened leaf springs, replacement driveshaft, quality shocks, brakes, aftermarket wheels and tires with increased rotational mass and a set of traction bars may have helped in this case.

I’m sure everyone appreciates being “thrown a line” in a “try this” type post. You’re a smart person and your input has merit. That said, I’m struggling to see the correlation in your recommendation and the “Shakes”.