Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have a 2002 Gmc Sierra 1500 with a 4.8 in it. I have been wanting to swap a 6.0 in it for a while and need some info. I use the truck as a daily, I tow with it every once in a while (17 foot open car trailer hauling anything from scrap to full size trucks). I wanna know what mods would be best with the 6.0 swap. I would like to do a good upgraded cam that I can tow with and bumps up power and torque. I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE THE CONVERTER. Other mods I’m thinking are tune, headers, exhaust, and cold air intake. What is the best place to get a tune from?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Crane and Summit make good truck cams with mild duration and lift to keep the torque down low, which is what you want for towing and doing truck things. My 6.0 has the Texas Speed 216/220 112 .550/.550 cam. Idle is good, power is decent, stock converter 60e. That said, take care of that 60e... it's gonna freak out with a 6.0 in front of it coming off a 4.8 that has towed on occasion. You might need to swap to an 80e at some point, but I won't go down the 80e/60e rabbit hole, that's pretty well documented.

 

Basic things like mild cam, headers, and intake (let her breathe) and a good tune will really wake up a 6.0. For a tune, your best bet is to find a reputable tuner to dial it in on a dyno using open source software such as HPTuners, EFI Live, etc. 

Edited by Jglew82
words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jglew82 said:

Crane and Summit make good truck cams with mild duration and lift to keep the torque down low, which is what you want for towing and doing truck things. My 6.0 has the Texas Speed 216/220 112 .550/.550 cam. Idle is good, power is decent, stock converter 60e. That said, take care of that 60e... it's gonna freak out with a 6.0 in front of it coming off a 4.8 that has towed on occasion. You might need to swap to an 80e at some point, but I won't go down the 80e/60e rabbit hole, that's pretty well documented.

 

Basic things like mild cam, headers, and intake (let her breathe) and a good tune will really wake up a 6.0. For a tune, your best bet is to find a reputable tuner to dial it in on a dyno using open source software such as HPTuners, EFI Live, etc. 

Do you tow with yours? If so how well is it for towing with that cam? And also if you changed your pushrods and lifters what did you use? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tristen1972 said:

Do you tow with yours? If so how well is it for towing with that cam? And also if you changed your pushrods and lifters what did you use? 

I don't yet; I'm still working out some kinks on this one as it is a swap into a 90 C1500 (quite an upgrade to the wheezy old tbi I pulled!) I can tell you that it has some serious down-low grunt, even with the stock 3.08 rear. Tons of top end.

 

The cam kit I bought from TSP came with the LS6 blue style valve springs, but I did order a new set of GM LS7 style lifters, rocker trunnion upgrade, and a set of hardened pushrods from Brian Tooley. My heads were surfaced in addition to the cam and lifter swap, so I had to put some shorter pushrods in. Pushrod length checker is a must! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jglew82 said:

I don't yet; I'm still working out some kinks on this one as it is a swap into a 90 C1500 (quite an upgrade to the wheezy old tbi I pulled!) I can tell you that it has some serious down-low grunt, even with the stock 3.08 rear. Tons of top end.

 

The cam kit I bought from TSP came with the LS6 blue style valve springs, but I did order a new set of GM LS7 style lifters, rocker trunnion upgrade, and a set of hardened pushrods from Brian Tooley. My heads were surfaced in addition to the cam and lifter swap, so I had to put some shorter pushrods in. Pushrod length checker is a must! 

Okay thanks for the info man. I’m thinking about doing 243 heads along with the cam and other mods. But definitely gonna do the cam swap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Tristen1972 said:

Okay thanks for the info man. I’m thinking about doing 243 heads along with the cam and other mods. But definitely gonna do the cam swap.

No problem,

 

This may go against the grain if you are dead set on that 6.0 (and I can't fault you, they are awesome) if you did these same mods to your 4.8, especially cam and 243's (or the 799's which are mostly identical), that little bastard may surprise you... plus it'll save you tons of money and be easier to tune. 

Edited by Jglew82
added words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Jglew82 said:

No problem,

 

This may go against the grain if you are dead set on that 6.0 (and I can't fault you, they are awesome) if you did these same mods to your 4.8, especially cam and 243's, that little bastard may surprise you... plus it'll save you tons of money and be easier to tune. 

I’m not ruling that out. I just want something with more umph than the 4.8. My dad has an ‘18 with the L83 5.3 in a crew cab 6.5 bed and it scoots. It makes me realize how much a dog my 4.8 is. If I could get it to the same power as it or slightly over without a lot of mods I’d be happy.

Edited by Tristen1972

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed. I also have a '17 with an L83/6l80 and it rocks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.