Jason Fuller

Soft clearcoat on 2019 trailboss

Anyone else having paint issues on these trucks? 3 weeks old and already two noticable scratches in the clearcoat in the black, one on the front bumper one on the back....... The front one was from me drying the truck after washing it..... Tried buffing it out and it's to deep. I can't believe how soft the clear is!! Coming from a 2016 midnight edition that held up great!!! 

23 minutes ago, Jason Fuller said:

Anyone else having paint issues on these trucks? 3 weeks old and already two noticable scratches in the clearcoat in the black, one on the front bumper one on the back....... The front one was from me drying the truck after washing it..... Tried buffing it out and it's to deep. I can't believe how soft the clear is!! Coming from a 2016 midnight edition that held up great!!! 

Usually when they are very new they are soft. Park it in the sun it will help the paint to harden. At least that is what what my old man used to say. 

GM is known for soft paint. Especially black

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My pacific blue GMC seems soft too. 600 miles and I’ve noticed several chips in it already.

7 hours ago, Moend said:

Usually when they are very new they are soft. Park it in the sun it will help the paint to harden. At least that is what what my old man used to say. 

That might have been true 30 years ago for my new '60s era cars coated with a thick layers of enamel or acrylic enamel, volatile solvent based real paints, baked on at the factory and machine polished afterwards. This stuff on modern cars is an Earth friendly micro thin layer of colored electrostatic dust melted on and then coated with water based Jello-hard self leveling clear coat.

Console yourself that every time you touch up a chip or vainly attempt to polish out a scratch in the Jellocoat you have done your part to save mother Earth and enrich GM coffers. Not a big deal anyway,  in another 11 years and 10 or so months we may be forced to go the next step riding bicycles pulling red kiddie wagons for passengers and storage.........and not to worry about scratches then because they will be coated by the Chinese manufacturers with a nice thick layer of hand applied lead based paint. And, when tired of pedaling we can always take a vacation trip to Hawaii by train.

Want to minimize scratches and chips? Park at the far end of the parking lot. Don't tailgate trucks without effective mudflaps and other vehicles with knobby, wide tires extending past the wheel wells. Stay out of car washes and use soap and a bucket. Avoid parking under trees, especially oak trees with %#$^*^$ squirrels that like to use play ping pong on your car with acorns and birds that crap battery acid that can not only cloud the clear coat, but if left too long with morning dew followed by a hot Sun can craze the clearcoat and then penetrate to and destroy the underlying color coat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, BringTheRain403 said:

GM is known for soft paint. Especially black

Yes, GM black is generally soft. Colors like Red Hot and the old Victory Red were usually on the harder side. Most of the others are somewhere in the middle. 

Wash your truck properly or it will look like your kid washed it in sandpaper in 1 year, I learned this the hard way with my 2010 black truck. GM's paint has been 'poor' to say the least since 2010 introduction of the water-based paints. My 4 year old 2010 needed the box painted and it never travelled on gravel roads, and then after that the cab started to peel so I traded it. I use a 3 bucket method with grit guards (GG's are a must for black paint). Only straight lines with the mitt, use a foam lance to lubricate the paint before touching it with a wet mitt. Watch AMMO NYC's YouTube videos. Just did a quick wash this weekend when I got my pressure washer back from repairs. Never polished, no spider webs in 5 years, because I took the time to learn how to care for these $H!T paintjobs. I had 3 paint chips in my front bumper, but I guy hit me with his boat at the pumps so I got a new painted bumper, now I really stay far back from people but I still see chips in my future. 

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Wash your truck properly or it will look like your kid washed it in sandpaper in 1 year, I learned this the hard way with my 2010 black truck. GM's paint has been 'poor' to say the least since 2010 introduction of the water-based paints. My 4 year old 2010 needed the box painted and it never travelled on gravel roads, and then after that the cab started to peel so I traded it. I use a 3 bucket method with grit guards (GG's are a must for black paint). Only straight lines with the mitt, use a foam lance to lubricate the paint before touching it with a wet mitt. Watch AMMO NYC's YouTube videos. Just did a quick wash this weekend when I got my pressure washer back from repairs. Never polished, no spider webs in 5 years, because I took the time to learn how to care for these $H!T paintjobs. I had 3 paint chips in my front bumper, but I guy hit me with his boat at the pumps so I got a new painted bumper, now I really stay far back from people but I still see chips in my future. 
IMG_0048.thumb.jpg.a143931ebbcd786a48f3c2f5d1cdc5d9.jpg
IMG_0050.thumb.jpg.b29870e4c0e16598c5ed3940bd9297d8.jpg
PPF on the bumper helps a ton...

Posted (edited)

GM black is beautiful.  On the showroom floor.  Scratched/dusty/dirty every second after that, unless you have other vehicles to drive when it's nasty out, a climate-controlled garage and a lot of time, elbow grease, and special car-care stuff.  I for one don't plan to go through that ever again on a single-vehicle daily driver that sees harsh conditions.  But I would gladly have another one or two if I can suddenly afford to buy 8 cars and to hire a full-time detailer.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

11 hours ago, Jason Fuller said:

Ceramic coating is your friend.

What machine did you use and what compound/polish did you try?

Scratches his own vehicle, must not be his fault but GM and their soft paint... Gee, could it be possible you picked up something in the towel and scratched it? Doesn't mean it is the paints fault. It would seem to me soft paint would be less likely to scratch or chip as opposed to hard paint as that is how it acts when laced over plastic which is soft and has some give. Not to mention soft paint in the detail world means it is easy to correct or adjusted, since you were unable to I would venture to say it is a hard paint. People always complain about thin paint, this is the first I have heard of soft paint. It isn't a GM thing, all manufacturers has thin paint that doesn't stand up as well since they changed over to a more environmental friendly paint. Go to any forum for any manufacturer and you will see the same complaints. Ditto with truck leans and many other common build irregularities. 

Tyler

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scratches his own vehicle, must not be his fault but GM and their soft paint... Gee, could it be possible you picked up something in the towel and scratched it? Doesn't mean it is the paints fault. It would seem to me soft paint would be less likely to scratch or chip as opposed to hard paint as that is how it acts when laced over plastic which is soft and has some give. Not to mention soft paint in the detail world means it is easy to correct or adjusted, since you were unable to I would venture to say it is a hard paint. People always complain about thin paint, this is the first I have heard of soft paint. It isn't a GM thing, all manufacturers has thin paint that doesn't stand up as well since they changed over to a more environmental friendly paint. Go to any forum for any manufacturer and you will see the same complaints. Ditto with truck leans and many other common build irregularities. 

Tyler
You haven't been paying attention if you've never heard of GM black paint being soft. They are fairly notorious for it. I've scratched mine with a brand new ultra plush microfiber. It's actually pretty ridiculous. You are correct is easier to correct but detailers cringe when you say you have a black GM vehicle...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

GM black is beautiful.  On the showroom floor.  Scratched/dusty/dirty every second after that, unless you have other vehicles to drive when it's nasty out, a climate-controlled garage and a lot of time, elbow grease, and special car-care stuff.  I for one don't plan to go through that ever again on a single-vehicle daily driver that sees harsh conditions.  But I would gladly have another one or two if I can suddenly afford to buy 8 cars and to hire a full-time detailer.  

You are right. The only reason mine looks like that is because I have all the tools and equipment right at home to do it. The truck shop you see in the background of my photo has 2 70' bays, and I have a diesel/electric washer. I can wash in January when most car washes are closed. I can have it dry overnight in the shop, and I usually spend at least 5-8 hours on my truck on "truck-day" every second Sunday. Not really a solution for everyone to say the least. It takes time and effort for them to look like that, or disposable income to spend at the detailer's place. 

1 hour ago, amxguy1970 said:

Tyler

Not sure what world you are living in if you think GM paints have no quality issues. The paint is thin and brittle, more than likely due to cost cutting measures imo more so then the water based paint theory as other makes have seemed to figure out water based paint jobs long ago and have a fraction of the issues we see with GM today.

• Like 1

Yep feel your pain GM water base clear is soft !!  been thru that with all GM vehicles I’ve had since 2010 

My 2017 Black All Terrain I had it ceramic coated and had entire front end and hood covered with Paint Protection Film  sad when you have to spend 2500 on a brand new truck to keep it from being chipped up 

ceramic coating helps a lot when washing 

• Like 1