Jump to content
Shawn T

Ventilated/Cooled Seat not working

Recommended Posts

My driver side ventilated seat is not cooling or even pushing air through the seat.  The vortex cooler is working, blowing tons of hot air out the rear vents, as normal, just no cool air through the seat.  In fact, the seat seems to warm up some.  Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the 'Peltier' device isn't working.

 

Perhaps fuse or wire connection?

 

Poor cooling performance is probably why they are no longer used, and the seats are now just 'ventilated'.

 

 

Curious to hear what you find out,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, redwngr said:

Sounds like the 'Peltier' device isn't working.

 

Perhaps fuse or wire connection?

 

Poor cooling performance is probably why they are no longer used, and the seats are now just 'ventilated'.

 

 

Curious to hear what you find out,

Does the cooler route through the memory module? The reason I ask is I had it reflashed when my mirrors would not fold in? I’m sure if it is plugged in the firmware would still be intact. My blowers still work, there is only one fuse for each seat for heat and cool. The heat function still works so I figured no sense in wasting time looking at a good fuse. Maybe for sanity sake I will. From the post above it sounds as though I can remove the cover with ease to see if the cooler is functioning 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I had my Seat vibrators replaced on warranty the tech guy never re-plugged in (I assume) the cooler devise and it did not work, and a a 2nd visit they got it right ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to remove the seat cover yourself there are a couple of youtubes floating around(Google search) that show step by step how to remove them. Good luck and hope you figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tahoe02 said:

If you want to remove the seat cover yourself there are a couple of youtubes floating around(Google search) that show step by step how to remove them. Good luck and hope you figure it out.

Thank you, I was able to pull the cover off far enough to see everything was intact, wires look good and all harness are plugged in. The semiconductor cooler does not seem to function at all anymore, but it was both seats all at once doesn’t make sense. Fuses are good. I am still wondering if the seat memory re flash had anything to do with it. I realized you have to be careful with the cushion and the elements. They are all attached to the cushion using spray adhesive tend to tear the foam rubber if you get too rough. Maybe it’s a trip to the dealer🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI - the cooled seats and heated seats are designed to turn on automatically when using Remote start ... so in the software is a chance for mal-function +-

 

Good Luck

 

Try a total re-set by unconnecting your battery for 30 -60 minutes

It's free to try LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Cosmic Charlie said:

FYI - the cooled seats and heated seats are designed to turn on automatically when using Remote start ... so in the software is a chance for mal-function +-

 

Good Luck

 

Try a total re-set by unconnecting your battery for 30 -60 minutes

It's free to try LOL

OK, it's definitely worth a try.  I just got off of the phone with the dealer and the service guy was actually pretty honest about it.  He said they get about 20 appointments a week about seats and there is really nothing they can do.  I know mine are not working because they actually seem hotter with the cooler on high.  The good new is my '20 Duramax Denali Ultimate is being built, as we speak.  My brother is buying this truck and I just wanted it to be in tip top shape when he does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: The response I expected, like it's read from a script: "The seats are not cooled, only ventilated by cool cabin air.  Try running the A/C on feet only and moving all obstructions from under and behind seat.  The ventilation performance is based on the cabin air temperature and the cleanliness of the seat perforations".  Well a couple of things to kill that theory:

1.  This summer is on record for one of the coolest in Colorado history, and it's a garage queen, the interior never gets very hot.

2. I have tried the feet A/C vents and also took a dryer vent tube and piped one of the A/C vents right to the intake(s) on the seat.

3. Cleaned the seats again (they are immaculate any way) and then let A/C from the front vents blast them for about 5 minutes without me in them

Result: as soon as your body temperature starts to warm the seats back up they blow warmer and warmer air to the point that it feels like a blow dryer.  Before they quit blowing cold air, you could only stand them on high for about 5 minutes, it felt like your rear and back were wet.  Disappointing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe have the Service Manager get involved and go for a ride so you can point out exactly what the issue is. Also see if there is another truck same year with cooled seats and see if it works properly and then show the Service Manager how it is suppose to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tahoe02 said:

Maybe have the Service Manager get involved and go for a ride so you can point out exactly what the issue is. Also see if there is another truck same year with cooled seats and see if it works properly and then show the Service Manager how it is suppose to work.

It was the manager, they backed each other up, which is OK.  My buddy has an 18, it blows much more and colder air. When I got home last night, I removed the rear seat cover to inspect the fans again.  I took the foam inlet filter off and cleaned it thoroughly, it seemed to make a difference, this morning I got that "wet back" feeling, with the air being reasonably cool, just low flow.  One mechanic did say that no matter how clean you keep your truck, the seat cushions still fill up with skin cells and micro debris, he recommended removing the seat covers and cleaning the cushions and covers to allow better flow.  I think he may be onto something because they seem to push less air year after year.  My '20 is on the line now, so my brother can deal with it, I just wanted it to be pristine when he gets it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2015 SLT seats are NOT very clean (never been cleaned)  and get too cold in 15 minutes when set on high (3 lights) ... my truck has 104,000 miles also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that works but I am not so sure if cleaning the seats will do it. Many posters have theirs working great including mine and I just wipe my seats occasionally with plain water. Reading comments on this forum it seems like some cool and some don't, same with heated seats and heated steering wheels. I commend you for trying to get it fixed for your brother. Sounds like my family as we try to take care of each other. The 2020s are sweet but for now I am happy with my 2016 diesel. I"m sure you will enjoy the working cooled seats in your new 2020(the way it is suppose to work). LOL.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2019 at 2:05 PM, Shawn T said:

Update: The response I expected, like it's read from a script: "The seats are not cooled, only ventilated by cool cabin air.  Try running the A/C on feet only and moving all obstructions from under and behind seat.  The ventilation performance is based on the cabin air temperature and the cleanliness of the seat perforations".  Well a couple of things to kill that theory:

1.  This summer is on record for one of the coolest in Colorado history, and it's a garage queen, the interior never gets very hot.

2. I have tried the feet A/C vents and also took a dryer vent tube and piped one of the A/C vents right to the intake(s) on the seat.

3. Cleaned the seats again (they are immaculate any way) and then let A/C from the front vents blast them for about 5 minutes without me in them

Result: as soon as your body temperature starts to warm the seats back up they blow warmer and warmer air to the point that it feels like a blow dryer.  Before they quit blowing cold air, you could only stand them on high for about 5 minutes, it felt like your rear and back were wet.  Disappointing!

Seems like  your dealer is confused about the equipment each year. (we had both versions a 15 - cooled, and a 16 ventilated)

 

The activation buttons on the 2 years are also different -- and indicate if cooled, or if just fan.

 

Does the truck have the vents in the seat backs?

IIRC, the cooled 15's had the vents, and the ventilated 16's (and later) do not have the vents in the back of the seats)

 

No seat vents MIGHT indicate they changed to 'ventilated' before the end of the 15 my.

Edited by redwngr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.