What happens if...

So I’m in the north woods and ran over a small piece of metal, tire can’t be repaired and no tires in stock anywhere. Spare is a 17” and truck came with 20”. 

This is on the rear. Can I move one of the front to the back and use 17” on front. 

At this point I don’t care if I ruined the spare just don’t want to hurt the truck. 

Any thoughts?

Tom

• Confused 1

Spare should be the same overall diameter as the 20 inch wheels/tires even though the wheel/rim is 17 inch.
Correct even if it wasn't you can still use it to get out of woods. The issue with the abs,tcs,and stabilatrac will not be seen till you get some speed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am assuming your tires are not the factory SRA's the truck came with... If this is the case and you have to run it for an extended period of time while you wait for a matching tire, I would recommend putting the spare on the front and avoiding using 4x4. If all is stock, the spare should only be at most 1 or 2mm taller or shorter which will not harm your differential, even over 1000 miles. It's not like those mini-donut car spares that are 4" smaller than the factory tire that will kill a diff in 50 miles. 

If you are running stock SRA's, don't order a new one. Throw the other 3 in the garbage and buy real tires. You will have nothing but flats if you frequently travel gravel roads. I managed to sell mine for $500 which paid for 2 of my real tires.   

Well thanks for all the replies, I found a Chevy dealer that really cares about the customer (small town dealer) The service manager got me in right away and said he thought they could put a patch on that would at least get me home (400 miles). He told me I definitely should replace the tire when I get home. It had a slit between the treads about 1.5" wide. The first time they patched it, it leaked. The second time he patched it no leaks.

Tires are Goodyear Eagle LS-2, stock ones that came on the truck. Now to find a tire for tomorrow morning installation.

Tom

Yes, but it has been awhile.  Hopefully it will serve as reminder for people to think about what to do in case of a flat when they biggy size their tires.  The question shouldn't need to be asked if using your factory spare on factory tires.  

• Like 1