WInd Noise/whistle over 40mph, just started

Hi Everyone,

We took the truck out to a trail head today, had our hike, and drove home.  Unfortunately, the road that we've never been on before had a few miles of horrible washboard.  After getting back on the highway and heading home my Wife and I both commented we could hear wind noise that wasn't present before.  It had that high-speed whistle sound to it at times.

Does anyone have any theories or experience with this?  My first thought is something happened to the windshield seal on that road, and that's what I'm hearing.  Grasping here though.

Also noticed, though I suspect unrelated.  On the way down the hill something started rattling around above my head in the drivers seat, just to the left.  Sounded like it was bouncing or rolling at times.  Once we were back on the highway, that noise stopped, and we then started hearing the wind.

The truck is a 2014 2500 CC with about 70k miles on it.

Thanks,

Paul

Good Morning paul,

As an owner of 2012 and now 2016 full size lifted chevy deisels, some of these questions you have sound to be that of a new owner? If you are, it can take time to adjust to differences between a V8 and a duramax diesel. First off, i would want to know if you have the windbreaker/bug guards around your driver and passenger windows? If so, these can create the noise you heard above 40 mph. Also if you have your windows crack just barely, this will make it sound like a jet plane about to take off above 40mph. If your not already aware, duramax diesels have a turbo in them for horse power, when picking up high rates of speed they will sound like high winds above 30 mph.  

You stated you were on trailhead, any foreign object stuck in the radiator guard will offset the typical wind patterns that will create what your hearing at high speeds. Lastly the rattling noise above your head that quit when you got on highway, I suspect was a acorn, or pine cone, or anything similar that blew off as you hit the highway. Check all those I mentioned before you start worrying about the truck. Take care

Hi Niners,

Thanks for the response.  I've had the truck from new, and this is the first either my Wife or I have heard this whistle.  No windbreaker/bug guards on the truck.  It did sound a bit like a window slightly cracked open, and that was the first thing I checked.  I honestly cannot nail down a direction that the noise is coming from though, that part is weird - why I was wondering if it was something to do with the windshield.  I was also wondering if a door catch shifted in the bouncing.  Grasping here.

As to the noise in the roof, I'm positive that was something inside the roof cavity itself.  There is no possible way on the washboard and slope we were on that a pine cone would last any longer than the time it would take to fall from 6' down to the ground.  I don't plan on going back to that road again though - so if whatever caused it behaves on the blacktop, I'm fine.

Thanks for the help though,

Paul