Silverado RST Z71 Ride Quality Sucks

1 hour ago, KEB said:

I've driven 40 miles with them in so far and the difference is outstanding. No more bouncing/rolling/unpredictability in the rear. It's bump and then the ass end is planted, even at high speeds. Curves feel more in control. Can't wait for my fronts to arrive! Shouldn't have to pay $450 to make a brand new truck ride decent but it's well worth it so far.

Thanks for the quick review, KEB! 

Does Eibach make a leveling front strut shock like the Bilstein 5100? If so, maybe I'll jump in on Eibach instead of waiting until 2020 for Bilstein to get something to market. 

18 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Thanks for the quick review, KEB! 

Does Eibach make a leveling front strut shock like the Bilstein 5100? If so, maybe I'll jump in on Eibach instead of waiting until 2020 for Bilstein to get something to market. 

Yes they have Pro Truck Ride Height Adjustable. I pre ordered at the beginning of the month. As of a week ago they are in the final testing stages

9 minutes ago, KEB said:

Yes they have Pro Truck Ride Height Adjustable. I pre ordered at the beginning of the month. As of a week ago they are in the final testing stages

Thank you. That's great news! 

I'm sure the differences in Eibach and Bilstein performance are minimal... especially with my driving style - mostly highway. 

On 8/19/2019 at 1:03 PM, KEB said:

I've driven 40 miles with them in so far and the difference is outstanding. No more bouncing/rolling/unpredictability in the rear. It's bump and then the ass end is planted, even at high speeds. Curves feel more in control. Can't wait for my fronts to arrive! Shouldn't have to pay $450 to make a brand new truck ride decent but it's well worth it so far.

i've modded just about every car or truck i've ever owned. Every mod was done with an expense to me to make the car or truck better. As some in this thread have also agreed, there might not really be an issue at all with the ride quality, but your expectations are higher. So when your car isn't fast enough for you, rarely do you blame the manufacturer, instead you spend some money to make it faster and to your liking. 

Maybe this isn't apples to apples, but I think it's close. You didn't like the ride, but many do. You spent some of your money on aftermarket premium products to bring the ride to your standards. 

Man, my LT Z71 rides so good, that this thread has got me in the mind to go to my Chevy dealer just to test drive an RST, to see what's up. 

I dont doubt what everyone that has one says, I'm just really curious now. 

Edited by MacLaren

On 8/19/2019 at 12:03 PM, KEB said:

20190819_093808.jpg

Thanks for the report!

• Like 1

All in all I am not unhappy with my ride. I have the RST Crew Cab z71 with Standard Bed and a Tool Box with at least a 100 lbs in it. I also replaced the tires on Day #1 with KO2’s inflated to 37 psi cold. I have 3000 miles on my truck and have not been off road yet but in the highway it rides fine.

In about a month I will start making a lot of trips to South Texas for dove hunts and deer hunts. I will see how it handles gravel and rocky roads then. I spend about 40 days a year at the Ranch so time will tell.

Hopefully the ride will be acceptable especially since I normally have a load of corn in the bed. 

4 hours ago, MacLaren said:

Man, my LT Z71 rides so good, that this thread has got me in the mind to go to my Chevy dealer just to test drive an RST, to see what's up. 

I dont doubt what everyone that has one says, I'm just really curious now. 

I have an LT Z71 and also have no complaints. It rides really nice.

So I’ve discovered recently that the LT with the 5.3L is the only truck in the lineup that uses a carbon composite secondary leaf spring in the rear. ALL other trucks use steel leaf springs. 

Only a GM engineer on that project could answer why this choice was made. I can only suspect that GM understood that the typical driver who buys an LT trim wants a better, maybe softer, less sporty ride. Since I haven’t driven any other models, I have nothing to compare to my LT. 

The hauling and towing capacity doesn’t change because of the composite leafs and neither does the specification of the Z71 package. The only reason I discovered this difference is because I learned I could not have the Trail Boss lift installed due to the composite leafs.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Z06JPB said:

So I’ve discovered recently that the LT with the 5.3L is the only truck in the lineup that uses a carbon composite secondary leaf spring in the rear. ALL other trucks use steel leaf springs. 

Only a GM engineer on that project could answer why this choice was made. I can only suspect that GM understood that the typical driver who buys an LT trim wants a better, maybe softer, less sporty ride. Since I haven’t driven any other models, I have nothing to compare to my LT. 

The hauling and towing capacity doesn’t change because of the composite leafs and neither does the specification of the Z71 package. The only reason I discovered this difference is because I learned I could not have the Trail Boss lift installed due to the composite leafs.

My initial thought was to wonder if the composite leaf is somehow better under a load because GM figures someone who buys an LT is more likely to work with it than someone who buys a TB, LTZ or HC. But then I figured if that were true, they should also put it in the WT and maybe in the Custom, too. 

If it were a ride thing, you'd think the LTZ and HC would get it. One of life's mysteries, I guess. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Z06JPB said:

Well I'll be darned! Thank you!!

I've been wandering all along if it werent something just like you said. I too, also wandered why the LT Z71 didnt qualify for the TB lift as well.

Good work my friend!!

• Like 1

Huh. Have to put a magnet on mine when I get home. 

For the record I like how mine rides. Coming from a 2011 1500 4x4 with Bilstein 5100’s on all corners the ride isn’t as planted but it’s not bad. That said...43,000 more miles or so and the Bilsteins go on. 

2 hours ago, rmkmb said:

does it reduce the ''dry'' kickback from the rear suspension when hitting a pothole?

Maybe. I’m not really sure what that means and I’ve also never test-driven any of the other models to compare. 

From the little reading I’ve done on here, seems like LT and LT Z71 owners don’t have the complaints that everyone else has about ride quality.

14 minutes ago, Z06JPB said:

Maybe. I’m not really sure what that means and I’ve also never test-driven any of the other models to compare. 

From the little reading I’ve done on here, seems like LT and LT Z71 owners don’t have the complaints that everyone else has about ride quality.

and by everyone, it appears to be a small handful of RST owners. If it was truly that bad, you'd see more than a single 4 page topic on it. A vocal minority, doesn't mean the many RST owners such as myself are upset. Our silence is mostly because we're happy.