In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Trailboss75

Tailgate LED Bar

21 hours ago, Ezekiel2517 said:

I have a max trailer package on mine.  It has no 4 pin jack at all.  The absurdity of that aside, would the putco one still work in my case?

I have max tow and it has the 4 pin. Can you post a photo of what yours has next to the license plate? 

Edited by bdsilverado

On 1/27/2020 at 10:13 AM, Rich Kesteloot said:

I purchased this with the add on module for my 2019 GMC Sierra Denali 1500.  I tried the curt adapter and I tried hardwiring as Opt 7 shows in a youtube video.  Both of these installs disabled my sensors and cross traffic alert thinking I was towing something.  Does anyone have a good remedy to solve this.  I contacted Opt7 and they said just send the product back for a full refund but I really like the look of the lights but losing all safety features is a real bummer.  Anyone have success with this?  Or suggestions. 

get the putco adapter. that is what i used on my Opt7 and rear sensors now work

2 hours ago, bdsilverado said:

I have max tow and it has the 4 pin. Can you post a photo of what yours has next to the license plate? 

Mine has the trailer camera package so I guess the video Jacks took the place of the 4-pin.  Seems stupid to not include that.  20200201_194238.thumb.jpg.e22bd610318c87ec63689320aa98af27.jpg

• Sad 1

Ohhh that's cool. ?.  I'm assuming you checked the glovebox and havent seen the 4 pin harness but i recall the manual saying something about this issue. But dont remember since it didn't effect me. Maybe they put it behind the bumper right by the hitch?! Idk. 

They gave me an adapter.  I'm probably gonna wire in a permanent one though.  An adapter feel so janky for this truck.  It will do for now tho

Has anyone used this harness while installing a LED tailgate light bar? I figured it looks pretty neat and would eliminate having to splice in the reverse wire.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-56584-Custom-Wiring-Harness/dp/B007EA6WQU?pf_rd_p=5cc0ab18-ad5f-41cb-89ad-d43149f4e286&pd_rd_wg=im5Kn&pf_rd_r=E95TPS65B3NMNAHNGGYY&ref_=pd_gw_wish&pd_rd_w=ofRKx&pd_rd_r=3b32a8d2-05b8-4981-9eac-0c566b218530

I am thinking of getting the OPT7 Redline and using this, since I have a custom trailboss I'm guessing there's nothing to interfere with.

On 7/26/2019 at 12:34 PM, BlackLS said:

I have the Putco Blade and used the Putco "Plug and Play" harness which connects to the trucks tail light wiring harness not the trailer lights.

I tried the Curt harness from Amazon but my truck did not like it, my screen kept alternating between "Trailer detected" and "No trailer connected" over and over until I disconnected the harness. Also tried plugging the light directly into the trailer plug but had the same problem.

Putco harness info: Blade Quick Connect Harness for 2019+ Silverado/Sierra 1500 SKU: 529005

Link https://www.putco.com/529005

2033522902_lightbartailgatesmall.thumb.jpg.48e3cbc5e4aed8d6b47bd90ae6737eab.jpg

What exact putco model lightbar is that and did that harness allow the reverse to work without splicing? Ordering one for my 2019 and want to make sure I get one that will work. Thanks

On 2/1/2020 at 7:31 PM, Nola Sciko said:

get the putco adapter. that is what i used on my Opt7 and rear sensors now work

How does Opt7 connect to the Putco adapter? Is there a 5 pin connector, or did you use but connectors? 

I have a 19 Trail Boss. I got the rough country quad row led lights for under that tailgate. I then got the curt plug to tie into the trailer plug lights behind the bumper. My truck has that advanced trailer package on it so that did not work right. Found a lot of people said to get the Putco adapter that ties into the tail lights. I got that and the light bar works perfect and is nice and bright. The catch is it only works when the trucks lights are on. Parking lights or head lights. When the lights are off only the brake light works right. the rest just kind of flicker and only part of the bar lights up. Any idea what is up with that? Could it be because it has sequential turn signals so it is just not going to function unless the lights are on?

Edited by collins5004

7 hours ago, collins5004 said:

I have a 19 Trail Boss. I got the rough country quad row led lights for under that tailgate. I then got the curt plug to tie into the trailer plug lights behind the bumper. My truck has that advanced trailer package on it so that did not work right. Found a lot of people said to get the Putco adapter that ties into the tail lights. I got that and the light bar works perfect and is nice and bright. The catch is it only works when the trucks lights are on. Parking lights or head lights. When the lights are off only the brake light works right. the rest just kind of flicker and only part of the bar lights up. Any idea what is up with that? Could it be because it has sequential turn signals so it is just not going to function unless the lights are on?

I have the Putco harness and opt7 light bar and everything works perfectly including the sequential turn signals.  It may be something with the rough country setup.

21 hours ago, J2Jones said:

I have the Putco harness and opt7 light bar and everything works perfectly including the sequential turn signals.  It may be something with the rough country setup.

Ok, that is good to know. I am still waiting to hear back from rough country. I will try to get ahold of them again tomorrow and see what they say. I hope i just have a defective light because i really like this light but do not want it if it doesn't work right. 

For those with the Putco setup, what size bar did you go with?  I assume the longer bar (60 inches) will look better as it would fill most of the space.  Also, did you go with the Red/White option or the Red/Amber/White?  If I recall correctly, why would you choose the Amber option if the rear turn signals and four ways are all Red, unless it is trim level dependent, as I am in an LTZ?

Lastly, I plan on purchasing the 529005 adapter as well; so how long should I plan on the install taking?  Do I need to remove the tailgate?  Is it just an adhesive backing?

Sorry for all the questions, just looking to make sure I know what I am getting into before spending $300.  Any additional pics not already shared would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

I went with RED /White / Amber , same on my last truck .   amount an hour - give or take .

Hello guys. I’m new here. This topic is the reason I joined. I purchased the Redline tailgate led to install on my 19 Silverado High Country and I gotta tell you, it doesn’t work. I bought all the adaptors, all their modules, everything you can think of. I tried all the suggested versions of mounting this. Still nothing. I took the truck in to the dealership thinking is something wrong with it. Not that. The electrician there tried it on an earlier year truck and it works perfectly. He explained to me that the new trucks with all led lighting are different. Not even the module from Redline that’s supposed to fix the problem on new trucks doesn’t work. I’m about $160 into it and all I got is a bunch of parts. Any ideas?