Price I should offer - paying in FULL

Afternoon.  So I am looking at a 2019 Silverado Trail Boss LT 5.3L V8.  The truck has the following:

- CONVENIENCE PACKAGE WITH BUCKET SEATS
- CONVENIENCE PACKAGE II
- 4" Chrome round assist steps
- Jet Black, Leather-appointed front seat trim

The dealer has it at 49k.  What would you guys offer if you were paying in full?  Thanks much.

I financed my truck using GM financial because i got another $3500 off. you have to keep it for more than 3 months but i ended up saving $3100-3200 after i paid it off. If you have the ability fiance it because you can save more money and have better credit. It was not hard at all to close/pay it off. NO BS from GM for paying it off early. 

3 minutes ago, BlancoSilverado said:

I financed my truck using GM financial because i got another $3500 off. you have to keep it for more than 3 months but i ended up saving $3100-3200 after i paid it off. If you have the ability fiance it because you can save more money and have better credit. It was not hard at all to close/pay it off. NO BS from GM for paying it off early. 

I asked the dealer about any penalties in regard to paying off a loan early with GM, and this is what they stated:

"If GM is giving you an extra rebate to finance through them, then you would have to make 6 payments and can then pay it off after that. "

BTW, FICO scores in +800 across the three bureaus, but I do not see any GM financing incentives for the TB. 

Edited by lord.kinbote

They don't care about cash. They make their money off financing. So take their best deal, pay for a couple months, THEN pay it off if you want to do that.

But you are not going to get any kind of cash discount.

Yeah, in spite of what people think, being a cash buyer does not excite a dealer or necessarily get you the best deal. It takes away the dealer spiffs from financing (if done in house which is usually a rip), and a lot of the extra warranties and junk they try to dump on you. Figure it’s a lot easier to get someone to buy a $1000.00 warranty if it’s spread out to be a “just couple bucks” a month.

Side note. Rates have been coming down nicely. With that credit score, even though you can afford to pay for it all at once, you’re really better off investing that money and financing the truck. Put enough down to eliminate any gap insurance BS and then put your money to work for you instead!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OnTheReel said:

Yeah, in spite of what people think, being a cash buyer does not excite a dealer or necessarily get you the best deal. It takes away the dealer spiffs from financing (if done in house which is usually a rip), and a lot of the extra warranties and junk they try to dump on you. Figure it’s a lot easier to get someone to buy a $1000.00 warranty if it’s spread out to be a “just couple bucks” a month.

Side note. Rates have been coming down nicely. With that credit score, even though you can afford to pay for it all at once, you’re really better off investing that money and financing the truck. Put enough down to eliminate any gap insurance BS and then put your money to work for you instead!

For the LT Trail Boss, they do not offer the 0% financing.  I am not sure what my rate would be, but even if it was 3% that is too much.  I really do not want these guys to shotgun my reports to have them check, if it is one hard pull inquiry from GM, then I can handle that.  I have heard stories of them hard pulling reports from various sources during financing, so I am little leery in that regard.  I can get clarification on this, but I do not believe there is any cash incentive to finance on the LT TB.  If it was going to save me money, then I would go the financing route for a 3-6 months, before paying the rest off.  

3% is not that bad when you make one payment then pay it off. That's what I did.. and I still kept the $1,000 incentive.

Being a cash buyer, they won't care. Nobody cares anymore. In fact, more want you to finance as that is additional commission and bonus for the dealerships.

It's not 1970 anymore.

And $49k.. it all varies depending on incentives in different areas. My RST was only $5k off in Orange County but $10k off in San Diego County so I bought it there.

You should be flexible with options and dealerships, maybe you would have to drive 60 miles away to get an additional $2k off.

7 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

3% is not that bad when you make one payment then pay it off. That's what I did.. and I still kept the $1,000 incentive.

Being a cash buyer, they won't care. Nobody cares anymore. In fact, more want you to finance as that is additional commission and bonus for the dealerships.

It's not 1970 anymore.

The dealer specifically stated that with a GM loan, you would have to make 6 payments before paying off.  They could be wrong, so something that needs confirming.  As stated, there are no incentives for a Trail Boss LT.  

I was thinking of offering 46.5 vs the 49k they have listed on their website.  Hell even the website has a button that says "make an offer".  Not sure if they will go for that, but with 2020's coming out in a few months, seems like a fair offer.

Edited by lord.kinbote
  • Like 1

The dealership doesn't know. One said six payments, one said just one payment. There's actually no written rule. Sometimes dealerships are pressed to have an answer so they blurt it out but don't take their word for it. I am 100% positive on that. I have talked to a lot of dealerships, the answers were always different.

I bought the RST because of incentives. You're right, I don't recall any on Trail Boss LT. Too high in demand right now so don't count on incentives.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lord.kinbote said:

The dealer specifically stated that with a GM loan, you would have to make 6 payments before paying off.  They could be wrong, so something that needs confirming.  As stated, there are no incentives for a Trail Boss LT.  

I was thinking of offering 46.5 vs the 49k they have listed on their website.  Hell even the website has a button that says "make an offer".  Not sure if they will go for that, but with 2020's coming out in a few months, seems like a fair offer.

I'd say that's fair.. may try for $45.5 instead. What I did with the Ford was I looked at the same model as mine in cars.com - under NEW trucks - and found one just like it for $10k off. Had the dealer match it so I got $10k off.

If you can find a Trail Boss nearby, cars.com will tell you the MSRP and the dealer's price.. sometimes I see $10k off.. then I mention to the dealer the ad. Saved me from driving 200 miles to that dealership, got one in San Diego to match it.

• Thanks 1

There’s room for negotiation, even on Trail bosses. I ordered mine in May with the dealer who agreed to sell it to me for $750 below invoice before any incentives at time of delivery. My truck was a loaded $60k MSRP and invoice was $56k, July rebates were 4500 for me so I paid around 51k before tax. Brought my own credit union financing (currently no GM finance deals/rebates on Trail bosses). Hope this info helps.

• Thanks 1