In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

can anyone recommend the best priced place to purchase the b8 5100 series shocks from? looking to replace the stock rancho's on my 2500hd z71.

I would do a Google search and see what pops up .Usually prices are posted from different vendors. Also look for free shipping and no tax. I got mine,(bilstein 5100s), from Amazon but I know I could have done better on pricing. Ebay is another good place to look. Good luck.

Purchased mine on ebay. were cheaper than amazon at the time.

Got my front 5100s on amazon warehouse for $53 and $55, rear 5100s for $58 each, and a bilstein steering stabilizer for $43. All prime shipping. 

So it seems to be the consensus that Bilstein 5100s are the way to go on these HD trucks.
How are those of you who have them liking them?
How do they compare to OEM?

Sent from the demons in my head

Posted (edited)

I replaced the stock Ranchos on my 2015 2500 Z71 with Bilstein 4600's.  Great improvement on the ride.  Was an excellent choice for me.  Wish I had done it sooner.

Edited by Cowpie

Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2019 at 4:39 PM, dplarson said:

So it seems to be the consensus that Bilstein 5100s are the way to go on these HD trucks.
How are those of you who have them liking them?
How do they compare to OEM?

Sent from the demons in my head

My thoughts on 5100's over stock (NOT Z71/Ranchos) after changing to the front/rear Bilsteins after 6k miles...under normal driving conditions on well cared for roads, improvement was not noticed, perhaps ride was even just a bit stiffer (but not bad).  However, on sections of bumpier less cared for roads, there were times where my stock shocks left me feeling "thrown around".  None of that with the Bilsteins, firmly under control under those conditions and well worth it.  If you are 90% highway driving, probably wouldn't be worth it.  But if 25%-30% plus of your time is not driving under ideal pavement conditions, then a good investment IMO.

Edited by captadamnj

Yeah, I live on rural gravel roads that can be pretty rough at times.   It was a very noticeable improvement in the ride and handling quality by putting on the 4600's.  Be it the 4600's or the 5100's, just do it. You will not regret it.   When I looked up my 2015 2500 Z71, it showed 4600's so that is what I went with.  Great results.

I got my 5160’s off Amazon when they had them at like $125, for a nearly $200 shock. One of their out of nowhere sales , saw them, bought 2 fronts, really like them. Keeps 8,250 pounds of truck nicely controlled and planted. 

Look for a while if you haven’t already bought, deals pop up from little shops all the time, good luck. 

I have been reading and hearing all great things about the Bilstein shocks. I finally put the rears on about two months ago due to the rear end skipping over large bumps. I just put the fronts on the other day and did a round trip to Vacation house I am building with a loaded truck. NIGHT and Day ride improvement. I have to go through NYC and the roads are terrible. Also my driveway in PA is about 3/4 of a mile of unpaved rough road. Much better. Just my to cents.

I have a 2017 All Terrain 2500. Those rancho shocks suck.

Yeah, I didn't realize how bad the Ranchos suck.  I just thought the 2 miles of gravel road from the highway to my house was terrible and kept blaming the county.  Well, they are not totally off the hook, but the Bilsteins made a significant difference.  Kick myself for not doing it sooner.  Lesson learned.

I changed mine about 6 weeks ago. I decided to replace them within a week of getting the truck so not a huge amount of before experience but I definitely noticed a smoother ride afterwards. It's a big-ass truck. It's never gonna ride like a limo but a definite improvement over the Ranchos.

Just did a 450 mile drive pulling a 10,000lb travel trailer. Seemed to smooth out the ride compared to when I pulled the trailer 50 miles from the dealer.

I bought mine on eBay. The same seller on Amazon was a bit more expensive but they said they would take 3 weeks to deliver.

I had a local shop install them for $150.