2020 - 2019 GMC Side by Side

GM numbers -

Top of roof, 2020 crew/std/4wd :

1500 'normal'  75.4"

1500    'lifted'  78.2" 

2500    ---------  79.82       

So about 4.4" taller for the 2500 vs 'normal'  1500. 

For comparison, overall height of 2018/9 2500 crew/std/4wd is 78.2 -- same as the 2020 'lifted' 1500

14 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I had a 2500 as a daily from 2010 until last month.  You get used to the size and will come to look down on 1/2 tons as insubstantial.

Here is my current daily. It felt big for about a week, now it is normal.  

pB0y5CMqQKqPPnmskU0BFg.jpg

I live in the Atlanta metro area. I'm not sure I could ever feel 'normal' trying to park a dually in the city. A SRW 3500 is bad enough when most parking spaces here are only 16'x8'. One way or another, your front or rear end will be hanging out of a parking space at the grocery store or work parking lot... and you can forget about 95% of parking garages downtown.

Edited by ApertureX

Fortunately I don't need to deal with the City all that often.  When I need to park in downtown Seattle I have an S5 convertible that I use mostly for a weekender or when I need to hit the City.  But, honestly, in Columbia Tower for example I would not take any full size SUV or most 1/2 tons down there; my 2500s did not fit either.  The City just generally sucks.  But I don't have any problem were I live otherwise and use my 3500 the vast majority of the time.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, greatmizzou said:

Man...I hope chevy brings back the 1500HD option because the 2500HD is a monster,  where can you even park that thing lol.   I bet its size will cut down its use as a daily driver drastically.    It probably tows fantastic tho.

I really wanted a 6.6 gas 2500HD but honestly Its size I could only use it towing.  Could you imagine parking that thing in a major city?  I thought the precious 3/4 tons you could at least swing it as a daily driver if you wanted.    This thing looks like that mini semi truck International CXT made back before the oil spike

It's not as hard as people make it seem.  I've been DD a crew cab dually for almost 4 years since my father died.  I don't notice all that much difference from when I was DD my previous 2500HDs with the dumb short beds.  From the numbers I've been able to find the turn radius is pretty much the same as my '09 and overall length change is negligible as well.  I don't go downtown unless I absolutely have to though.  I have dead ended in tight parking lots before, 10 point turns to turn around are fun actually.

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2019 at 9:46 PM, greatmizzou said:

Man...I hope chevy brings back the 1500HD option because the 2500HD is a monster,  where can you even park that thing lol.   I bet its size will cut down its use as a daily driver drastically.    It probably tows fantastic tho.

I really wanted a 6.6 gas 2500HD but honestly Its size I could only use it towing.  Could you imagine parking that thing in a major city?  I thought the precious 3/4 tons you could at least swing it as a daily driver if you wanted.    This thing looks like that mini semi truck International CXT made back before the oil spike

Right after I got the truck to test drive it I had to parallel park it on the street and made it 1st attempt. Yeah I could have got the front tires a little closer to the curb if I wanted to but we were in a hurry. LOL But this beauty will be my daily driver after I pick it up tonight. Luckily most of the time I can park at the far end of a parking lot that isn't crowded.

My kids call it a monster truck compared to our current 2013 1500 crew cab HAHA! Running boards on the 2020 2500HD are almost necessary!

IMG_20190907_182016.thumb.jpg.a9a19a2b1a839a0bbf4acf94c577a797.jpg

On 9/13/2019 at 8:03 AM, SkidooSteve12 said:

Right after I got the truck to test drive it I had to parallel park it on the street and made it 1st attempt. Yeah I could have got the front tires a little closer to the curb if I wanted to but we were in a hurry. LOL But this beauty will be my daily driver after I pick it up tonight. Luckily most of the time I can park at the far end of a parking lot that isn't crowded.

My kids call it a monster truck compared to our current 2013 1500 crew cab HAHA! Running boards on the 2020 2500HD are almost necessary!

IMG_20190907_182016.thumb.jpg.a9a19a2b1a839a0bbf4acf94c577a797.jpg

It's kinda absurd how big these trucks have gotten lol. I mean just look at the tailgate height compared to the windshield of the 1500 behind it.

to be fair, there isn't a huge amount of difference in the actual tailgate height if you put them side by side. It looks exaggerated in the photo because the 1500 is further away. Many cell phone camera lens's these days really exaggerate the perspective of scenes and objects. Things close to the camera look gigantic, even just a few feet away they look tiny. In person yea the 2500s are bigger, but not by a gigantic margin. The cab is basically the same size and the interior dimensions are all exactly the same. 

Edited by protovack

7 hours ago, protovack said:

to be fair, there isn't a huge amount of difference in the actual tailgate height if you put them side by side. It looks exaggerated in the photo because the 1500 is further away. Many cell phone camera lens's these days really exaggerate the perspective of scenes and objects. Things close to the camera look gigantic, even just a few feet away they look tiny. In person yea the 2500s are bigger, but not by a gigantic margin. The cab is basically the same size and the interior dimensions are all exactly the same. 

Yes, cameras can play tricks but make no mistake, the 2500/3500 look MUCH bigger in person than a 1500 IMO.  The interior cab space has nothing to do with the exterior size difference.  Even next to a Trail Boss with the 2" factory lift they look big.  That said, I think it drives much better than the 2017 2500 I traded in, a bit smoother and easier to see out of.

My Dad had his 2011 1500 out last night when I stopped by and snapped these comparison pictures. And backed it into his garage with a 7' tall door to load up my son's buck that he shot to take to the processor. The truck definitely sits up tall as the top of the tailgate is right around my shoulder height!

And I agree that it does ride really smooth for a 2500HD.

IMG_20190916_164444s.thumb.jpg.ec4bffb9c6b95505b91074add31aca05.jpg

IMG_20190916_164502s.jpg

IMG_20190916_164016s.jpg

IMG_20190916_164717_1s.jpg

• Like 2