In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Donstar

Why would you buy a V8?

33 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

I don't know there is something carnal about hearing 8 cylinders open up when you mash the gas, the smell of gas burning etc.. Don't see how an electric motor whirling will get any guys primitive senses excited... My issue is I often put 3-400 miles on in a day and I'm not willing to go below a 1/2 tank of gas and I can't sit around and let my truck charge at a station as I don't always even stop for lunch... As others said, power goes out, etc... I just don't see electric vehicles as viable for the way many American's  travel... W/ that said if you're just running around town most of the practical barriers are eliminated for city dwellers who might only drive a couple hundred miles a week... How about traveling to remote areas of rural America that barely have gas stations with credit card readers at the pumps let alone electric charging stations...  You top off your cell phone with your truck that runs on gas :-)...

(Optional onboard generator?)  If the electric vehicle  is to receive widespread acceptance, many logistics will need to be worked out and there would need to be overlap.  On a smaller scale, the transition between leaded and unleaded gas was a multi year process.  Also, it wasn't that long ago that the majority of trucks on Dealers' lots had 3 or 4 speed manual transmissions.  Now, we only compare the number of speeds in our automatic transmissions. Ten years from now I'm sure your truck will produce more Kw of power than mine! (or whatever the jargon of the day) 😉

11 minutes ago, Donstar said:

(Optional onboard generator?)  If the electric vehicle  is to receive widespread acceptance, many logistics will need to be worked out and there would need to be overlap.  On a smaller scale, the transition between leaded and unleaded gas was a multi year process.  Also, it wasn't that long ago that the majority of trucks on Dealers' lots had 3 or 4 speed manual transmissions.  Now, we only compare the number of speeds in our automatic transmissions. Ten years from now I'm sure your truck will produce more Kw of power than mine! (or whatever the jargon of the day) 😉

I'd be willing to put a $100 bill down that we will still be burning dinosaur bones to run our cars in 10 years!!😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Well said... The climate is changing no doubt, pickup trucks & cars are a pimple on an elephants butt compared to the pollutants being released by industry especially in other countries like China... It's a false truth spun by those who stand to profit from selling these ultra complicated vehicles that only get a few more MPG than then did a few years ago... Look at my Truck, get's 18MPG all around, 10 years ago trucks were getting what 15mpg all around? Look at all the extra BS that goes into these trucks drives the cost up much more than the fuel savings I realize in the life time that I own the truck...

I couldn't agree more with you.

Climate change , global warming, blah,blah,blah.

Hell 10,000 years ago where I sit right now was a mile deep in ice. You think that's not climate change? Of course it is. The climate is always changing. Thats why it was so goddamned cold last winter and the winter before that it wasn't too bad. It's only hit 90 4 times this summer in Minneapolis. Usually have at least 12-15  90 degree days. 

Until some scientists prove and I mean prove without a doubt that we are ruining the earth with gasoline burning vehicles I won't  fall into this trap.  

Ever seen a major forest fire ?

More smoke from that than a million cars on the road. 

Electric vehicles are more suited for city dwellers that only drive a little bit each day. Maybe for fleet vehicles that see a hundred or so miles a day. 

Not for me though. 

I love listening to my Borla catback exhaust. Not a whirring electric motor.

• Like 2

I  find it unfortunate that anyone would have had  negative experiences in dealing with the topic of climate change.  Talking about the impact of humans on changes in weather is not an attack on any individual or group of individuals. There is no need to adamantly declare/deny our involvement.   Climate change encompasses some diverse and interesting dynamics and worthy of continued and thoughtful discussion  As an aside, I was visiting in New Zealand a few years ago and entered into a lively discussion on the impact of cows on greenhouse gas levels.  (Needless to say the discussion included a fair bit of light hearted humor! )   A change that is occurring whether or not a response to reducing environmental harm is the increase in production of EV's.  I am particularly interested in how this technology applies to pickup trucks. Some legitimate concerns and some curiosity has already been expressed.  I am interested to hear more thoughts and ideas on this topic.

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I  find it unfortunate that anyone would have had  negative experiences in dealing with the topic of climate change.  Talking about the impact of humans on changes in weather is not an attack on any individual or group of individuals. There is no need to adamantly declare/deny our involvement.   Climate change encompasses some diverse and interesting dynamics and worthy of continued and thoughtful discussion  As an aside, I was visiting in New Zealand a few years ago and entered into a lively discussion on the impact of cows on greenhouse gas levels.  (Needless to say the discussion included a fair bit of light hearted humor! )   A change that is occurring whether or not a response to reducing environmental harm is the increase in production of EV's.  I am particularly interested in how this technology applies to pickup trucks. Some legitimate concerns and some curiosity has already been expressed.  I am interested to hear more thoughts and ideas on this topic.

How does one discuss a problem no one FULLY understands? I trade my Buick in for a Tesla. That means I also trade my gas station for a power station. If it's a coal station I've more than doubled my carbon print buying a 'green car'. If it's a nuclear plant???? NPG? If it's solar, geothermal or ocean wave the infrastructure was produces on some other carbon based fuel. The Lithium required is a rare earth metal that takes HUGE carbon power to extract. Disposal? Safety? Even the studies needed to understand the problem leave a carbon print. Typing this is using a carbon fuel. 

Again, carbon based fuels are a multi TRILLION dollar business with more power than any government but Gods.

Given the time frame ignorant science is talking about? Every carbon burning process on the planet ceasing today might not be quick enough. That is if it is fully understood. 🤪

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are many things to think about. It's not only the environmental impact. What if we really running out of oil in 15-20-30 years?

Don't you want to be prepared and have the infrastructure in place to keep the economy going?

Illusionist were painting a world with flying vehicles driven by whatever other than fossil fuel decades ago. Look at how far mankind has come. I wouldn't be surprised if someone finally gets the flux-compensator into serial production. Just dump your daily garbage into it and go to work. Of course, you'd have to produce more garbage if you're planning a long road trip.

Change is coming, like it or not. The discussion whether the development of new energy sources is creating a carbon footprint or not is tiresome.

Saying goodbye to the things we're used to can be painful. Just embrace the new things to come. It ain't hard.

Sometimes I'm driving behind a classic vehicle and I enjoy the smell of the unfiltered fumes. It triggers memories. Even an old diesel engine has a (nice) distinguished smell compared to modern diesel engines with all the exhaust filter systems.

Don't be afraid. It's gonna be good.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Like 1

Change is good as long as technology and the public is ready for it. I never thought I would ever think driving anything but a V8 would be acceptable. We all know that 4 cylinders are out performing V8s of the past. Pollution is down gas mileage is up. The things that bother me is when our government gets too much involved. We end wasting money on projects like Solyndra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

As others have said, electric cars just don't make sense for long trips. Nobody wants to stop and wait for a battery to recharge after they're used to filling their gas tank in a few minutes. I think making the majority of cars hybrids would make a huge difference, without requiring the large lifestyle/infrastructure change that EVs require. I would love to have a hybrid pickup that's an actual hybrid (not a mild hybrid like the RAM).

Edited by va_whitewater
  • Like 2

In 1910 ICE's were under 15% efficient. By the 1960's they were 25%. Today 35% is pretty common for road cars and 50% is already in the bag at Benz Racing and Mazda R&D. We've gone from under 10 hp per liter to well over a hundred hp per liter. From 5 mpg to over 50 mpg. From swamp foggers to nearly zero emissions. Enough so that you can see L.A. again. :)

Every step of the way someone was screaming that the maximum had been reached and we needed to look for another source of energy. The 70's 'oil shortage' wasn't, was it? I don't know what they are up to but I'm positive GREED is in the middle of it. 

That said my younger self wouldn't have listened to my older self either. 

Remember when L.A. was in the world news and the poster child for SMOG? The story was that SMOG was the cause of climate change (Nox, CO, HC and the like). Now it's down to nothing but water and CO2 out the pipe so C02 is the problem? Plants breath CO2 so humans can breath O2 so question. If God designed a planet with a closed loop to keep things in balance is it the extra CO2 of cars? OR the deforestation of the planet? Wait....it's cow farts and peat bogs and methane is the issue......

Nope GREED. This shift towards electric is benefiting someone GREEDY, and it isn't you. (Ecclesiastes 8:9)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

How does one discuss a problem no one FULLY understands? 

I was on a team interviewing candidates for a position of considerable responsibility.  One contestant obviously did not speak English as a first language.  In response to one of our questions on teamwork he replied, "There is more in two heads than one"  On first blush, we thought he was reciting a popular saying that "Two heads are better than one".  He knew exactly what he was saying.  I like to keep company with like minded people but I know just because we share an opinion it doesn't necessarily make it right.  In this thread as an example, I love discussing the thoughts behind a significant group of people diminishing the impact of man on our environment.  Believe me, I would like this to be true.  However, the protests in ours and other parts the world on the topic of climate change makes we want to learn more.  Saying it doesn't exist or other people have to change before I will shouldn't be a position taken by anyone.  I know I don't know the answers and I know you don't know the answers but together with our combined experiences can develop MORE understanding.

• Like 2

My wife and I are seriously interested in the Rivian SUV but hoping to hear what GM or Ford are introducing before leaving a deposit.  There are many EV's on the road where I live so the thought of such a purchase is not a huge or bold move.  I would like to hear from members who have an EV and find out how they have dealt with perceived or real issues with range etc.  I have heard very positive reaction to the responsiveness of an EV.  

Another forum member (flyingfool) submitted this video on a similar thread.  It is an hour in length so be prepared!  It is not suitable to skim through but definitely worth watching from beginning to end.  Power generation and traditional transmission methods are/ will be changing.  EV's are a tiny part of this video's message but the take away for me is that the future energy needs for transportation will be coming from electricity.  Don't dismiss an EV because of today's battery technology.  (Anyone who has a few years experience as an adult knows first-hand how quickly this changes!)  Enjoy the video and I look forward to your comments.

Haven't watched the video but the lack of battery improvements isn't the only reason I won't do an EV.  They can create all the power stations or ways to generate electricity as they want, but if the infrastructure to deliver said power is trash then it doesn't matter how much energy is created.  If it can't be used due to poor "delivery" whats the point?  Also all these so called clean energy sources gloss over the amount of wildlife that are killed and other environmental impacts that aren't global warming related.

I watched the Rivian PU video and read the spec sheets. Says UP TO 400 mile range. Is that pulling the 11,000 pounds? Also said will ford 3 feet of water. Interesting. So 200 miles out and back. I might actually make to Dad's and back. 

Say this. It isn't as ugly as the T1 trucks. 

:lurk:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2019 at 12:32 PM, KARNUT said:

Come on, climate change happens. I’ve already lived through global cooling claims to global warming to climate change. They have no idea. I agree with reducing pollution, that’s a no brainer. I gave up butter, drank diet soda, salt, started eating egg whites, decaf coffee, protein diets walked 7000 steps etc. They are all mostly full of sh-t. Common sense is what I do now, not hysteria. L.A. is less polluted now, so we’re on the right path. And bacon sure is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just listened to a show a few days ago where a guy was reading a climate change paper about the rising temps, melting ice caps, rising ocean and drastic and catastrophic weather events. It was building and building and soundedword for word like everything g else you hear about it.

My favorite part was when he read the line (paraphrase, the end is the kicker) 

" The earth could be a completely different planet than we know now as soon as 1924"

Edited by SnakeEyeSS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2