In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Anyone ever try an extractor and going through the dipstick? You could use it for transmission and power steering. Just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use an extractor for my trans fluid.

Wouldn't think of it for motor oil.

My extractor specifies fluid should not be over 100 degrees i believe.

:)

• Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 2:46 PM, KARNUT said:

Anyone ever try an extractor and going through the dipstick? You could use it for transmission and power steering. Just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used a mightyvac on the transmission but I couldn't use it on the oil...couldn't get the tube down the dipstick tube.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 4:07 PM, Eddie 70 said:

I have one on my 14. I can drive the truck home from work. Park it in the garage and slide under with an oil pan and a piece of tygon tubing. Open the valve slide out from under the truck and go inside. Walk out in the morning, close the valve and change the filter. Fill it back up and ready to go again. No ramps needed.

When you do this, does the oil filter clear out?  Or, is there still oil in the filter that one needs to be careful not to have a mess.

I really don’t want to change my own oil, but the cleaner and easier I can make it, the more likely I am to stick with it.  Changing it myself is cheaper (at least better oil and filter for the same money) and I don’t have to worry about less than qualified people working on my truck.  I’m not a mechanic, but I’m at least careful.

filter still has oil in it, and there's still some oil in the block that comes out as you unscrew the filter, so there's still some mess.

Using a socket for the oil filter works well for getting it free enough to spin by hand, then you can put something like a sandwich baggie or a larger bag around&under the filter as you finish unscrewing it to minimize/eliminate oil from running all over you and the ground.

Edit: note, different brand filters (even different filters from the same brand) can require the use of a different socket, so if you do get a socket, first select the filter you want to use for your truck, then buy the socket that works for it, then keep buying that particular filter going forward.

Edited by davester
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suggest getting something to put under the vehicles when you do oil changes.

I have used a plastic desk chair pad, Plexiglas and a piece of Masonite. 3x4 feet works well IMO.

Protects the driveway or garage floor and makes it easy to slide under the vehicle on it.

20 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I suggest getting something to put under the vehicles when you do oil changes.

I have used a plastic desk chair pad, Plexiglas and a piece of Masonite. 3x4 feet works well IMO.

Protects the driveway or garage floor and makes it easy to slide under the vehicle on it.

I went to a flooring place and got a remnant of linoleum to put under.  Oil wipes off it easy and you can slide around under the vehicle.  Works great.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

I went to a flooring place and got a remnant of linoleum to put under.  Oil wipes off it easy and you can slide around under the vehicle.  Works great.

I save cardboard boxes from larger packages and keep that under the truck, can easily slide on that. You can also get a box of those puppy trainer pads from Costco and lay that down to absorb any spills, works great. 

• Like 2