Why get the Trail Boss/AT4 if you plan to lift?

I'm curious as to why the TB/AT4 owners who have, or plan to add a lift to their T1's would not have just purchased a different trim level Silverado?

The RST gets you the nice body colored bumpers, and the money saved over paying for a factory 2" lift with mediocre Rancho shocks, Duratracs and stickers would help pay for the lift  and tires. Any variant of the Z71 also accepts a lift and tire upgrade.

I'm not knocking the TB/AT4 if it's already set up the way you like, but adding a lift kit seems like it negates the whole concept.

• Like 1

While I don't plan to lift my AT4, for GMC's, the AT4 is the only way to get body colored bumpers and door handles.   There are several other things that are included with the AT4, and a couple that are not available unless you get the Denali package.  

- Spray in bed liner included

- All weather floor mats included

- Hill Descent control included

- Skid plates included

-  Front bucket seats and center console included

-  Heated second row seats included

- Body color bumpers and door handles - not available on any other trim package

- HUD not available on SLT 

- Rear Camera mirror not available on SLT

- HD SurroundVision not available on SLT

You also get the red tow hooks, which are scientifically proven to be faster than any other color.

• Like 2

I got the TB in Red. I like it cause all the black accents. Just plan on leveling for now and maybe a lift down the road.  

As for pricing when I was looking trucks with same options the RST wasn’t any cheaper.  Now if you get the Texas Edition with all the chrome they are a little cheaper I believe.   

I don’t plan on lifting my AT4, it wasn’t the lift I bought it for, first it’s not a stripped  down Chevy it has a ton of technology I like and I use the hell out of my MultiPro Tailgate. This forum is full of people whining about all the features they didn’t get on their trucks especially Chevy’s guess that’s why this is my fifth GMC. I still miss my 2003 Denali with 4 wheel steering. GM has turned the Chevy into an a la carte  truck, you don’t ask for it you don’t get it. Funny people jump on the 6.2 and forget to get wheel liners.

Edited by Mountain boy
  • Like 2

I bought my TB for two reasons.

It was the only Silverado I thought looked great. Also, for me it's a truck that has everything I'd want to come in a truck, stock from the factory.

If I bought an RST I'd have to buy black wheels, AT tires, lift, and Z71 package. Plus I like the all black front and rear of the truck.

Buddy bought an RST same day as mine. While his looks sharp, mine kills it in the looks department IMO.

Edited by Sin City Trail Boss
  • Like 2

All good reasons to buy your trucks of course, but my question was for those that have lifted or plan on lifting their T1's.

I chose the RST because of the body colored bumpers and the trail boss just didn't seem quite high enough to me.  Great looking truck though.

Tuesday I get my 4" SST kit installed and new wheels and 35's mounted.

18 hours ago, Rob41 said:

I'm curious as to why the TB/AT4 owners who have, or plan to add a lift to their T1's would not have just purchased a different trim level Silverado?

The RST gets you the nice body colored bumpers, and the money saved over paying for a factory 2" lift with mediocre Rancho shocks, Duratracs and stickers would help pay for the lift  and tires. Any variant of the Z71 also accepts a lift and tire upgrade.

I'm not knocking the TB/AT4 if it's already set up the way you like, but adding a lift kit seems like it negates the whole concept.

it’s all about the red tow hooks and lack of Chrome! Haha

That said, I have no intention of lifting my AT4 further. It’s almost too high for my parkade at work as it is. 

22 hours ago, McCoy7 said:

As for pricing when I was looking trucks with same options the RST wasn’t any cheaper.  Now if you get the Texas Edition with all the chrome they are a little cheaper I believe.   

This is very true^^^^ ..Its very difficult to configure your way into a cheaper truck by selecting the same options on different models.... If I selected an RST or LTZ and built them similarly, the cost was almost identical. Its very apparent GM didnt want loopholes in their pricing model that people could exploit. I spent hours on the configurator trying to find a loophole with zero success..

Edited by Chris walker

I bought my TB to replace my raptor and be a truck that I wouldn't have to spend money on as I already have two track cars that I spend too much money on. (Raptor had 37s, fox 3.0s, and all the other goodies)

Trail boss already had ok tires, looked good with the black front and rear and door handles, and with a 1.5 level, I likely won't do anything else to it.. it looks decent sitting in the driveway. 

(Unless I go midtravel with 35s)

Edited by hogwash
  • Like 1