Air Horn or Loud Electric.

1 minute ago, doropallo said:

Are you using your horn on the steering wheel and disconnecting the original or installing a secondary button?

Tied into factory horn.  I push the horn and both factory and air horns go off.  If I hit the Alarm button after the 3 warning chirps air horns kick in.  When I lock the truck normally only the factory goes off, if the air in the tank is a little low then the air horns will chirp.  No clue why this is but not a big enough deal to bother sorting it out.

Options 

Hella Supertone high/low twin horn kit

(direct horn replacements cheap ricer approved your choice on “sound”)

PIAA 85115 superior bass set

(direct horn replacements costs more than any of the Hellas & 10x better sounding)

Whelen Power Air Horn PH112

(stand alone unit & requires purchase of 100 w speaker) pa compatible 

SoundAlert SAAH75 100w electronic air horn

(your choice of decibels stand alone unit comes with speaker way cheaper than the Whelen) pa compatible best sounding IMO

or if your a DIYer there’s a setup like this

I’m not a fan of “air horns” unless you already have on board air for something else already as you either get cheap crap that leaks and fails or you spend major coin on a quality set up that will not leak and last.

Edited by wforrest08
  • Like 1

I'm not sure of the horns as dad put them on years ago, I only upgraded the air system.  Which is a good thing since when removing the old wiring we found that the shielding was worn through in places and could have shorted or burned my truck up.  The horns say Omega on them, no model # that I can see.  Just looked, they've been on there 10 years today and about 90,000 miles.

20190809_104650.jpg

Edited by Chevyguy85
  • Like 1

Compressors are the Viair 444C set.  I bought a kit with a tank but then didn't want to go through the hassle of mounting the tank underneath and running air lines to/from so didn't use that tank.  Plus with tank and compressors in the toolbox they're kept from the elements a little better.  Also didn't realize how big the tank was and the original plan was to put it in the toolbox.  I didn't want to give up that much space though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Viair-Black-444c-Compressors-8-Galllon-8-Port-Black-Tank/301907277061?hash=item464b137505:g:ZdIAAOSwzvlW8v1N

Tank actually used

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-GALLON-8-PORTS-SUSPENSION-AIR-BAG-TRAIN-HORN-PANCAKE-AIR-TANK-200-PSI-VXT4000P/362315012612?epid=888929162&hash=item545ba85a04:g:8hIAAOSwZvFa86CG

Pressure switch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Q3LXRI/ref=pe_1098610_137716200_cm_rv_eml_rv0_dp

2 relays 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YC7GBU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Circuit breaker 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F76VJKQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fuse block not sure I can recommend this specific one as it's the 2nd one and the company doesn't seem to answer emails about warranty replacements.  I just wanted something that would fit where the other one was so for my own ease I bought the exact one.  Hopefully tis one lasts a lot longer.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QMTAZ1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then whatever wire and port fittings you want/need.  I also waited for % off coupons from ebay to buy some of the stuff on ebay so I saved quite a bit that way vs buying from the retailers' actual sites.  Audio from dashcam in cab   https://www.youtube.com/user/Chevy85Guy/videos  They are a lot louder on the outside, sometimes I forget how loud and am reminded when I have the windows open or if they get set off with me standing on the passenger side of the pickup.

Edited by Chevyguy85
  • Like 1

I'm no wiring genius but from your diagram it looks like the horn will honk anytime there is power from the battery as I see no switches. 

The way I did mine was as follows: 1 on/off switch that powered the air compressor, 1 on/off switch that opened an solenoid that drained the air tank, 1 momentary switch for the solenoid on the air horn.  All 3 were accessible to the driver.

20170329_185903.jpg

20170329_190131.jpg

Edited by UnlimitedMatt

Yeah anytime I honk the horn the air horns go off.  No cut off switch on this setup like the previous one.  Rarely ever used it anyway.  If I don't want the air horns to go off I just break the circuit for the compressors and drain the tank.  If I take it in for service I write a note so they don't honk going in and out the bay doors.

I always add a set of Hella Supertone HiLo disc horns to my trucks. It’s a simple process and works well. They are not ridiculously loud at 118dB, but with the factory horns it’s plenty. I live rural and have to chase stock off the road from time to time. The HiLo set also has a kind of distinctive sound, so I can recognize it anywhere. Especially, when setting/checking if my alarm is set, for the third time with my paranoid ass.

Heres How to DIY

1.Buy the set with a relay.

2.Find the factory horn. T-tap into its hot wire With 16-14 ga wire. Run this wire up to a convenient spot for the relay. I used a spot on the L fender near the radiator support. This is your SWITCH IN leg.

3.Tap into the under hood fuse block Always Hot with a 12-14 ga wire. Make certain that you use an adequate fused connection in the block. Run a short leg to the relay. This is your POWER IN leg.

4. Run a 12-14 ga wire through the radiator support from the relay to in front of the radiator. This is your LOAD or POWER OUT leg.

5. Mount one horn to the driver’s side of the radiator support. I used the mount position for my “behind the grille” light bar. I strip the insulation off the wire for about 3/8 of an inch without cutting the wire. Bend and twist the wire, put a female flat plug on the wire and hook up the first horn.

6. Mount the second horn in the same place on the passenger side of the radiator support. Run the tail of your wire over to the second horn. Place a second flat male plug onto it and install the wire. 

7. Test the horns. All four should sound. Go back now and secure all your wiring, ensure all wear or rub points are attended.

Notes- you will have plenty of power total, four horns and will not be overloading the factory horn circuit. The factory circuit has only added the draw  that the Hella relay requires to close the circuit within it.

-The new Hella horns are powered by the new power line that you took off from the underhood fuse block.

-If you chose not to use one of the fused connections in the block, then you need an inline fuse for the Power In to the relay.

-The horns are grounded to body ground through their mount. Make sure you scrape or abrade the mounting spot on the radiator support somewhat. 

-The horns have five light gauge mounting pieces approx 1”x5”. You stack them to make the mount firm. Being thin allows you to bend/flex them into position individually, once stacked they’re tough.

-I thought the reddish orange paint on the horns was too much. I disassembled and painted the faces matte black.

I pulled my grille off and installed the light bar, horns and led fog lights in one go. All of this was simple work and can be completed in an afternoon. The horns alone... easy peasy.

D661F7D4-65EF-4485-BA64-311CF75A3CC4.jpeg

41EE29C7-1C78-4597-9953-E08A15E89829.jpeg

17B7C646-FD48-407E-835B-DC63E8CCFD8C.jpeg

914C53F4-CD21-4BA1-8617-9DB9CB342290.jpeg

Edited by Darksky
Mishimoto LED foglights are so much better than OEM.
  • Like 1