In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I have read all the threads on tuning a 6.0 and want some thoughts on this for longevity. A month or so ago I read about a member on this forum who uses his truck to max GVWR and had burned the friction material from the torque converter at 194K causing the transmission to fail. My thoughts on this are it was likely caused from the TM constantly trying to limit power going through the transmission and motor and allowing the TQ to slip at time when it should have been locked.

Hypothetically, once a motor has been tuned and TM has been removed assuming that its driven with a light foot and not beat on, would a tuned truck have a better chance of lasting? I am talking more so about the transmission then the motor as I believe these motors are very stout. Lets hear your thoughts.

So using your truck at maximum capacity and getting near 200K before rebuild on the transmission. That’s pretty good. Most vehicles expected life is 200K with routine maintenance. After that major repairs are expected. Now I’m sure people are going to jump on here and say hell no to that. Realistically they are the exception. I’m hesitant to go across country in a vehicle under normal conditions at 200K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

So using your truck at maximum capacity and getting near 200K before rebuild on the transmission. That’s pretty good. Most vehicles expected life is 200K with routine maintenance. After that major repairs are expected. Now I’m sure people are going to jump on here and say hell no to that. Realistically they are the exception. I’m hesitant to go across country in a vehicle under normal conditions at 200K miles.

Exactly.  You can get 200k harsh miles out of a factory tune.  No way some limpdick on the internet is going to do better.

I would not expect any worse life is all... if you run loaded to nines all the time something will fail regardless.  My old 05 6 liter truck has been tuned aggressively since around 70000 miles and has 220000 miles on the original powertrain now.  I would not hesitate to take that truck anywhere... and don't.  The only real change I made with my trans set up is I tuned out the transmission fully locking the converter in 2nd gear at 4000 rpm WOT.  My 2017 is tuned in a very similar fashion and I don't expect any less life.  That said I want to retrofit an e92 ecm and the new 6.6 into my 2017 so I don't much care what the 6 liter does lol.

Oh no doubt, I think thats fantastic life from a stock transmission being used hard! But after seeing how it failed I am questioning if removing TM would have made it last even longer. I have read good things about Blackbear tuning and would hardly call them some limpdick on the internet. 

54 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

I would not expect any worse life is all... if you run loaded to nines all the time something will fail regardless.  My old 05 6 liter truck has been tuned aggressively since around 70000 miles and has 220000 miles on the original powertrain now.  I would not hesitate to take that truck anywhere... and don't.  The only real change I made with my trans set up is I tuned out the transmission fully locking the converter in 2nd gear at 4000 rpm WOT.  My 2017 is tuned in a very similar fashion and I don't expect any less life.  That said I want to retrofit an e92 ecm and the new 6.6 into my 2017 so I don't much care what the 6 liter does lol.

How do you like the tuned 2017? Worth it?

I understand there are some guys with good reputations and they know what they are doing.  If you want a truck that is a little snappier, by all means, get it tuned.  But don't kid yourself, there's no free lunch.  If you want your truck to last as long as possible, leave it the heck alone.

41 minutes ago, i82much said:

I understand there are some guys with good reputations and they know what they are doing.  If you want a truck that is a little snappier, by all means, get it tuned.  But don't kid yourself, there's no free lunch.  If you want your truck to last as long as possible, leave it the heck alone.

I would normally agree with this...but from seeing the failure I would have argued it may have lasted longer tuned. All my stuff has always been stock and never modded. But its tempting if you can make it a little snappier and keep parts from wearing. Keep in mind I am talking about having it tuned and someone who drives responsibly. I can average 16 mpg from my 2016 with duratracs and a level. I drive it gentle 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GTBensley said:

How do you like the tuned 2017? Worth it?

Good. Its tuned mostly by me as an email tune was just not cutting it.  Like any other 6 liter I have owned in the last decade I run premium and advance the hell out of the timing from stock and what a surprise.... it has way more power lol. I tried playing with cam timing but it wasn't loving it and frankly the e78 ecm in these trucks is a lame duck to deal with.  That said the gains are still there for anyone and even just playing with the shifting makes it feel night and day.  I don't agree with the "leave it stock" statement as they aren't going to live any longer for the average guy and it's way more fun having something that isn't such a sack like the stock settings give you.  It's the same logic that drives complaints their truck is undergeared that I used to commonly read but no one ever rectifies the situation. I did that as well as my truck has 4.56s in it from the stock 3.73s. That also made a massive difference in drivability. 

Oh and for fun if I drive my truck gentle... leveled with 295/60/20s and the 4.56s still returns in the 15 mpg mark lol.  I don't complain about my fuel economy.

Edited by SierraHD17

So let's say we take 2000 identical 2019 6.0 trucks.  We tune 1000 of them and leave the other 1000 on a factory tune.  We then add up any driveline expenses for those trucks over the course of the next 250,000 miles.  

Does anyone really believe that the expenses will be less for the tuned trucks?  Or are you just saying that the stock trucks might save a few driveline repairs but the differences won't be great and that the juice is worth the squeeze?  

I never left any truck stock. I didn’t pound the hell out of them either. Exhaust was first, always. Then the mods. I drove lots of miles. My trucks were always carrying weigh. Tool box, fuel tank, air compressor etc. What it boils down to an abusive person is going to wear out a vehicle quicker whether it’s modified or not. The mods don’t wear a vehicle out, the driver does.

18 minutes ago, i82much said:

So let's say we take 2000 identical 2019 6.0 trucks.  We tune 1000 of them and leave the other 1000 on a factory tune.  We then add up any driveline expenses for those trucks over the course of the next 250,000 miles.  

Does anyone really believe that the expenses will be less for the tuned trucks?  Or are you just saying that the stock trucks might save a few driveline repairs but the differences won't be great and that the juice is worth the squeeze?  

All I am saying is they will have roughly the same level of failures.. the op is hoping for less expense and that's not going to happen lol.  The little amount of difference you get from a tune isn't a killer here unless you really screw some settings up lol.  All I am saying is reality... the tuned truck will live a long happy life abeit a little more fun to drive than the stock one.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SierraHD17 said:

All I am saying is they will have roughly the same level of failures.. the op is hoping for less expense and that's not going to happen lol.  The little amount of difference you get from a tune isn't a killer here unless you really screw some settings up lol.  All I am saying is reality... the tuned truck will live a long happy life abeit a little more fun to drive than the stock one.

That's probably an accurate statement.  Me, I have a 65 GTO, a 1972 Chevy truck, and 1949 Oliver tractor to keep running.  Literally the *last* thing in the world I want is to have to fix something on my 2500HD.  But for someone who isn't satisfied with the factory performance and doesn't prioritize reliability to the extreme, I can certainly see why they would tune their truck.  

Edited by i82much

Or you add gears to offset for lack of low end power.  Have to tune the thing anyway hahaha.

25 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

Thats fair...although I am not necessarily hoping for less expense (although I still believe the TM caused that transmission to fail sooner then it would have as the TQ friction material just became worn out). I am happy to spend money upfront to avoid an issue at an inconvenient time, thats all. 

I think my question has been answered. If I want to tune it and drive gentle I will probably not harm anything but may gain some fun in doing so. Either way, these are bullet proof platforms that run a very long time....which is why I bought this truck over the other two domestics.