Towing a car hauler.

Hi everyone.  New to the forum and have a question for the experts!  I have a 2018 Silverado LT w/2LT, Z71, 5.3L and want to use a car hauler to pull my wifes 1971 Pontiac Lamans Sport Convertible from Wisconsin to the Black Hills in South Dakota for a car show.  The trailer I would use is a 24' enclosed car hauler.  Do you think the truck can handle that large of a trailer at 65/70 MPH across 1400 miles?  My truck is brand new - just purchased it in June and it only has 2800 miles on it.  I installed a Range device so that blasted AFM is off.  I'd rather pull a flatbed car hauler because of less weight and wind resistance but if I do it, I have to use what's available.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

do issue. however I always push trailer brake controller. and if needed use the tow haul. trans temp goes up buy mpg and engine load is down. My race car is #3200lb and a 24 with tools and such. I wouldn't worry about any 1500 towning less than 10k in weight. stopping is more the issue so make sure to use the trailer brakes. I have seen crazy things. 

58 minutes ago, chief1600 said:

Do you think the truck can handle that large of a trailer at 65/70 MPH across 1400 miles? 

Weight won't be your limiting factor. Its the wind. If you are driving into a west wind, good luck going 70, or you'll be getting 8 MPG if you do.

calm conditions or favorable wind direction = no problem.

Not sure on the sway bar.

I certainly don't have an issue slowing down a bit on the drive out there.  I have no issue traveling the interstate at 60 MPH.  I was just concerned it would be too much of a workout for the motor over that distance.  

Yes, but I would back if off to around 60mph. You could do 70mph, but the extra amount in gas it will suck back maintaining 70mph wont be worth saving the 3.3hr's total on your drive. Even if you made $50/hr at your day job, $150 wont cover the additional cost in gas you will use to maintain 70+ for the total 3.3hr time savings on the round trip.

• Like 1

Not sure on the sway bar.

I certainly don't have an issue slowing down a bit on the drive out there.  I have no issue traveling the interstate at 60 MPH.  I was just concerned it would be too much of a workout for the motor over that distance.  
Your engine will handle that just fine. Use Tow/Haul mode, and you're already ahead of the game with the Range module. I just put one in my 2017 and wish I had done it sooner. Smooth and strong.

Set your driver info screen to display your transmission temperature just to keep an eye on it. It will get a little hotter than it usually does, but it shouldn't run away either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Without knowing tongue weight it is hard to speculate. I tow pretty regular including cars on car haulers (96 Chevy Caprice). Install an airbag kit of some sort to help with rear sag. Without it you might be looking up during the trip and bounce over any small bump. Steering is affected with poor load balance. Sway control really helps, especially in the wind and when getting passed. If the trailer is set up for sway control use it. 

Properly loaded, rear airlift setup and sway control would make for a much safer and less stressful haul for not much money. If it was across town and one time i'd pass but going that far I'd recommend investing in the set up. 

I tow a enclosed 24 hauler with my car in it to events 

With my 2010 5.3 and now my 2017 6.2 

wind will I’ll be a big issue as said

I don’t use tow / haul. The more the trans up and down shifts the more it heats up 

with 8 spd trans tow in 6th gear so engine rpm  about 2500 2700 at 65 mph. Engine will be fine I’ve towed my rig 10000 miles with the 5.3 at that rpm over 5 yrs 

my 6.2 I tow same rpm it gets better mileage than 5.3 plus the power 

the he real problem is the rear suspension even with a quality equalizer hitch it will sag stock. I used air bags on my 2010 and now Sumo Springs  on my 2017 they great  they are rubber “spring” that replaces the factory rubber snubber  and not that expensive easy to install 

my 1500 stance with trailer loaded with car. Sumo Springs and Equalizer Hitch    No sway or bounce. Well worth it 

yes into  to strong headwind you will get 8 mpg at 60 mph 

87AF45FB-55CE-4130-97EC-F08EC8E631BD.jpeg

Edited by CDNSS
  • Like 2

I tow a enclosed 24 hauler with my car in it to events 
With my 2010 5.3 and now my 2017 6.2 

wind will I’ll be a big issue as said
I don’t use tow / haul. The more the trans up and down shifts the more it heats up 
with 8 spd trans tow in 6th gear so engine rpm  about 2500 2700 at 65 mph. Engine will be fine I’ve towed my rig 10000 miles with the 5.3 at that rpm over 5 yrs 
my 6.2 I tow same rpm it gets better mileage than 5.3 plus the power 

the he real problem is the rear suspension even with a quality equalizer hitch it will sag stock. I used air bags on my 2010 and now Sumo Springs  on my 2017 they great  they are rubber “spring” that replaces the factory rubber snubber  and not that expensive easy to install 

my 1500 stance with trailer loaded with car. Sumo Springs and Equalizer Hitch    No sway or bounce. Well worth it 

yes into  to strong headwind you will get 8 mpg at 60 mph 
87AF45FB-55CE-4130-97EC-F08EC8E631BD.thumb.jpeg.66069ad7628953ffbcc2f0be57657012.jpeg
Any pics of the sumo springs you speak of.? I've been thinking about air bags in the rear for pulling our camper

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Not sure if already been mentioned or not ;  a load weight distribution hitch.  Years ago my brother towed an enclosed car hauler( probably 20’-24’ trailer).  Towed it to a car show to deliver show car there and I could remember the tow vehicle was a 1995 Chevy Tahoe, that rear bumper was nearly touching the asphalt, headlights pointing to the sky....lol.  After dropping the car off at the show he went and got a “ load weight distribution hitch, levelled  tow vehicle and trailer right out.  Made a huge difference.  Good luck...and a safe trip.