Beware installing a lift or bigger tires on your T1 !

1 hour ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

So, say I buy an Elevation with the 275/60R20 (33") tires then I decide I'd rather have the 265/65R18 (~32") tires that are available on other trims. You guys are saying it's a toss up whether my dealership will be willing to reprogram my speedo? 

The dealer can’t do it because GM won’t release the code that the Tech needs to reprogram the speedo. See pic below and note the $99 cost that the dealer charged me for them finding this info out.

GM is essentially saying that we may own the truck, but they own the computer and software forever.

I find this ridiculous especially concerning tires and wheels. I mean, it’s a pickup truck. Did GM really think that people weren’t going to want to mod their trucks with different wheels/tires? Good thing GM doesn’t own Jeep, they would never survive their customers.

Does anyone know if Chrysler does this kind of thing with the Ram? I’m really thinking of trading in if it means I can exactly what I want done to my truck without the manufacturer holding my property hostage.

4E291E05-F8FD-4B04-BAB3-01510EC13E6D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2019 at 4:31 PM, Z06JPB said:

Well, I should’ve listened to you all about it being impossible for the dealer to reflash the speedo to match bigger tires.

I had factory 20” RST wheels with 275/60/20 tires (factory size) installed by the dealer a couple weeks ago and was told I’d didn’t need a speedo calibration because the tires were the same overall size as my factory 18” inch. I doubted that. It said “okay” and decided to do my own tests. Afterwards I found about a 4.4% speedo discrepancy so I went back to the dealer today.

I asked if they could the reflash because of the speedo different I was having and said they would. After 8 hours at the dealer I got the call back and was told the truck is ready.

Got to the dealer and saw the bill, $99 for a service call to GM to tell the tech that they do not support any tire size change whatsoever. As $99 is the dealers standard charge for “diagnostic”, I basically flushed that money down the toilet with nothing to show for it. I’m pissed off beyond words.

So, for those of you lucky enough to have the dealer tell you that they can’t do it and not charge you for that advice, consider yourselves blessed.

If this is indicative of how GM and their dealers do business, this may be my last GM product after a lifetime of driving only GM vehicles. My Dad retired in 2008 after 42 years with GM and I’ve stayed loyal even after. But as he told me, GM is not the same as they used to be and that o shouldn’t feel obligated to purchase GM products. Man now I’m kind of wishing I went for the Ram instead :(

8F6A7DD2-0CC7-497B-901D-AC2E6B73A676.jpeg

And this right here folks is firsthand, not just the usual I see them lifted at dealers all the time stuff that has the potential for disappointment later down the road.

I also provided a firsthand account of my experience at my dealer on a 2019 Silverado. I also called numerous dealerships in the State of Mi and every one of them said they couldn't do it.

BEFORE you move forward, DO NOT count on what you read in a forum.  Get it in writing from your dealer!

I'm okay with it and built my truck the way I wanted.  I can afford to absorb costs normally covered under warranty if that's what it comes to.  I just think there are some folks out there that may think there will be no issues when the reality is there are.  Two firsthand accounts above.

Anyway, everyone should enjoy their truck the way they want but should know actual facts when they make their decision.  I'm very happy with my lifted T1.  :)

20190807_085052.jpg

• Like 1

True story. I’m going to fight the dealer on this though. If I asked for a service to be performed that could not be performed, I shouldn’t be paying their diagnostic fee. I didn’t ask for a diagnosis to a problem, I specifically asked for something to be done. Dealer needs to eat their time as a cost of doing business.

i received the customer satisfaction survey on Monday and gave them all bottom scores as well as a comment detailing the situation. Hopefully I can get my money back dealing with customer service before I have to go to the manager. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 9:44 AM, Z06JPB said:

True story. I’m going to fight the dealer on this though. If I asked for a service to be performed that could not be performed, I shouldn’t be paying their diagnostic fee. I didn’t ask for a diagnosis to a problem, I specifically asked for something to be done. Dealer needs to eat their time as a cost of doing business.

i received the customer satisfaction survey on Monday and gave them all bottom scores as well as a comment detailing the situation. Hopefully I can get my money back dealing with customer service before I have to go to the manager. 

I would find a different dealer for sure.  While mine couldn't do it either, they tried for more than 2 hours.  Never once did they expect me to pay for what they could not do and in fact apologized they couldn't perform the job.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Also you wont rack up miles as fast if you go with larger diameter tires

Lol that’s what my take is!!

Honestly, the only time I ever remotely think about going to a dealer is when something is warranty work. .. and even that is painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk