In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

A/C Condesner needs replacing AGAIN!

First post so don't roast me lol. I know the condenser has been gone over many times on here but I guess my issue seems to be a little different. I bought a 2014 Sierra Denali 6.2L back in January of this year. A few weeks ago I noticed the a/c wasnt as cold as it used to be but didnt think too much of it until the next day it wasnt blowing cold air whatsoever. I have been adding freon every few days until I had a chance to take it in for service. I took it to the shop and they said it is leaking from the condenser and a new one installed including the work they have already done will be $1,400. The thing is the carfax says my condenser was replaced 11/25/2016 at the GMC dealership. There is no way a truck that is only 5 years old should need another condenser by now. My question is most parts come with some sort of warranty right? How would you guys suggest going about this since this is another new condenser it is needing a little over 2 years later. Even if there is some sort of warranty the dealership that installed the new one a while back is a few hours down the road, so not sure if anything would be honored at my local dealer.

• Like 1

I hit 81,000 miles on my 2015...  condenser failed just where the tsb says they fail...  I purchased a new one around $120.  It has a 2 year warranty.  

I didnt want to chance the $$$ factory one . 

I picked up a after market condenser from radiator express 2-1/2 years ago on eBay for $100.00. Definitely an upgrade from the OEM parts.

Pretty easy install. Even buying gauges, freon and renting vacuum pump. I finished in 4 hours for under $250.00.

Edited by txab
sp
  • Like 2

Question on condenser replacement... On my daughter's 2010 Ford Escape, I recently had to replacr her condenser because of a leak and from all the information I found, it was highly recommended to replace the receiver/dryer as part of the fix. Luckily on my 2016 Silverado, I have not had the dreaded condenser leak, knock on wood. But if I do and end up replacing it, is there anything else recommended to change out at the same time? Or can I simply replace just the condenser, have it vacuumed, and then recharged?

I just had my condenser changed out Friday, went 3 days with no AC in this Texas weather suckkkkkssss!!!  Receipt says it cost 167$ and I got small shop to install it and vacuum and recharge it for 80$  well I ended up trading him a snapon locking flex head ratchet worth about 166$  that I had found instead as I had it on OfferUp for 90$. So far my AC is ice cold and didn’t cost me anything as I got the condenser for free from a family member that works at a auto parts store. But even if I had paid it wouldn’t have been no more then 250$ idk maybe the shop I went to just hooked me up with the labor/Freon as it was a really good deal

E6950D37-2A44-4A55-BB43-574CCBC324D9.jpeg

• Like 1

If you’re familiar with the condenser thread, then surely you’ve read of plenty of people replacing the condenser multiple times by now in the 2014+. Some installed themselves others had the dealer do it.

Have you called the dealer that installed to see if there’s a warranty? That would be my first course of action.

If I didn’t have an extended warranty, I would go an aftermarket part route as the gm parts seem to just have a big shiny silver band aid on the problem area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1